New Loveland Updates

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Re: New Loveland Updates

Post by Everydog »

A new Looveland meeting is on the horizon With the San Diego Regional Waterboard's Board of Directors.

I had the second in-person meeting with the Executive Director of San Diego Regional Waterboards, David Gibson. This time my wife Carolyn, who has been a big Loveland Advocate, one of the biggest and best, went with me.

We are doing our best with the regional water board's executive director's cooperation and commitment to help given that California is not prone to using resources to go after Sweetwater Authority in any strict regulatory way.

We talked about a lot of things, but what might matter most is how our goals for Loveland match up with Waterboard's goals. He encouraged us to go to his Board of Directors meeting on Feb 14th, 9:00 AM in Mission Valley. The idea is to let his Directors know how aligned their efforts for balancing water resource management and human needs could be with anglers, hikers, and nature lovers at Loveland and even other reservoirs on public property, which is most of them in San Diego County. These are some of his objectives/ or goals in the attachment. We want to ask his board to allow David to work on Loveland with the ideas he has. There was a lot more to the 2-hour meeting, but I don't have control over follow-up, and even David doesn't fully. That's what I am told. Please check in with me and go to this meeting. People who care about other lakes in the region and consider themselves advocates would gain something from plugging in finding out what's going and attending the meeting.

Please let me know if you want to go to this meeting. There is more on my Facebook page if anyone is interested.

I don't use my FB page for anything but Loveland advocacy and to a much lesser, degree advocacy for other lakes.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h7GGk8 ... sp=sharing
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Loveland transfer halted! Sweetwater stopped the transfer.
After the last storm, they caught hell for flooding the river during a flash flood-producing rain event. I think they may be liable for more damages in Spring Valley.

Loveland is at 68% and rising. Good news.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Checked it out today, it was down quite a bit. 11ft or so
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Is what’s left of the dock still like it was before the transfer
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Yeah, floating but lower obviously
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Loveland And Other Lakes. Important Public Meeting: Who is going?

Waterboard Region 9 Board of Directors Meeting. February 14th, 9:00 AM.
The meeting will be at the Mission City Corporate Center, 2375 Northside Drive, Suite 100, San Diego, 92108.

Your continued advocacy/ new people/ many voices are essential. Loveland/ Public Lakes Advocacy meeting with San Diego Regional Waterboards on February 14th at 9:00 AM in Mission Valley. Loveland advocates (Me and My wife) have met with the Executive Director of Regional Waterboards, David Gibson to mediate many issues, including fish stocking. However, Mr. Gibson wants us to ask his Board of Directors to support his continuing to do so for Loveland and similar public trust issues and recreation on local publicly managed reservoirs.

This is not a meeting to make specific demands, nor a panacea for all problems, though some concerns and ideas should be raised. It encourages government partner engagement to improve Loveland, prevent a similar disaster from unnecessarily happening in other lakes, and open doors to improvements based on community/user group efforts.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

It is looking like the next Loveland Meeting in Alpine will be on March 14th....This is always subject to delays, revision, or whatever.

The San Diego Regional Waterboards meeting was a big success.
Loveland Advocates starts the video off with public comments, and the Executive Officer makes some related comments around 42:30
https://cal-span.org/meeting/rwqcb-sd_20240214/

My next meeting with waterboards is on March 5th.
We are trying to get Waterboards working with Senator Jones's office, but it was explained to me that the Executive Branch which waterboards is a department of, and mixing it up with the legislators can get tricky.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Sweetwater got an insurance payout for the fishing float and the General Manager is recommending to the board that they put it back in the same size and the same place. I know not every Loveland Angler cares about that fishing float.....but the implications.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

The waterboard meeting went well. The Board authorized the Executive Officer to work with stakeholders on beneficial uses at the Local Reservoir.
If you are curious about what this potentially means with a little more depth of conversation. PM me.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Sweetwater voted to hold the fishing pier rebuild money back and see if our community wants to spend it on something else. This will be brought up at the March 14th meeting in Alpine. Trust them as far as I can throw them. The fishing float was the closest thing to ADA access. Not wise or cool to go away from that unless they have something better,

I think there is a half chance of getting better access to the Jamul side even in high water. There was money for bridge from an east county US Congressman in 2008 but Sweetwater took it south. It was a total robbery.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Trying to get the community to help me get the SDGE easement open for getting to different parts of the lake easier. That or a parallel path or gates down by the bridge over the river, or all of it dammit.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Too bad they couldn’t open government cove when the levels are down as an option. Wishful thinking
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

camobass wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 pm Too bad they couldn’t open government cove when the levels are down as an option. Wishful thinking
Not necessarily wishful thinking from my perspective.
Pretty sure the next time or program shrinks we will have more access somewhere.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Open that. It takes a minute but you won't be sorry. Loveland Promises
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Everydog wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:37 am Open that. It takes a minute but you won't be sorry. Loveland Promises
Chula Vista Star-NewsChula Vista Star-News, Volume 116, Number 3, 18 January 1997

Loveland Reservoir opens after 20 years of Sweetwater promises

■ Joe Guerin - Editor -

A promised made is a promise kept.

Nearly 20 years ago residents were promised that the Sweetwater Authority would someday, somehow open Loveland Reservoir to the public for fishing. And now, thanks to a unique partnership between the Sweetwater Authority
and the U.S. Forest Service, the promise has been kept. To mark the occasion, officials gathered at Loveland to acknowledge the hard work of Water Authority board members and the forestry officials.

“We are dedicating a facility designed to benefit the public in two important ways,” said Richard Reynolds, general manager of Sweetwater. “It sustains public access to Loveland Reservoir and protects the safety of water stored in the reservoir.”

National City Mayor George Waters was not deterred by the inclement weather at the dedication. “This is a beautiful day when elected officials can fulfill the promise to the people and keep their word, which helps build a trust and makes things easier for future leaders,” said Waters, who is also the chairman of the Sweetwater Authority Governing Board.

The public access to Loveland was made possible after the Sweetwater Authority purchased a parcel of land near Descanso, with the intention of trading that land to the Forest Service in exchange for the land that surrounds Loveland Reservoir. Loveland is located about 7 miles south of Alpine and is open to the public for shore fishing during daylight hours only. There is no fee required to fish the reservoir, but anyone 16 or over must have a fishing license.

“The Loveland Reservoir Public Fishing Area is the product of a partnership between Sweetwater Authority and the Forest Service,” said Reynolds. “In creating the partnership, Sweetwater Authority and the Forest Service put aside their individual agency agendas and concentrated on benefitting the people of San Diego County.”!!

# # #
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

The Twenty-year-old promise was what Sweetwater did to get the vote passed for them to collect 22 million in bonds for the forced purchase of the water district from Cal-American.

There are dozens if not hundreds of articles from the build-up to the 1977 Proposition W vote with promises by Sweetwater Components, South Bay Irrigation District, and the National City Government and their boosters promising to maximize recreation up at the reservoirs. They said the reservoirs were not open because Cal-American was a dirty capitalists enterprise and All public lakes had good recreation.

They promise boating and fishing like at "Lake Murray and Lake Jennings"

Please go ahead and do what you did with the link above, Carpkiller, if you want to. I'll be back with more.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=CVSN1977042 ... ing-------
Last edited by Everydog on Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

There were two Forest Service betrayals 25 years apart. The first one was the land Swap that I believe I can prove served Forest Service and Sweetwater Cronies and the second was turning their backs coincidental, or not, to Sweetwater Authority's Chairman claiming they could get $350 million in Sand Mining income from Sand Mining Both Reservoirs..As we know that was nuts, but it survived until about six months after Sweetwater drained Loveland and destroyed ecological health on both sides of the dam and recreation on our side..then tried to lock us out forever.

Reposting Jim Brown's warning to the Forest Service in 1997.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uopW7d ... sp=sharing The Forest Service sold us out in 1997 Tradinng 1500 acres of Forest Service land for less fishing than Sweetwater had been promising since 1977. Sweetwater Authority only put modest recreation in at the Sweetwater Reservoir in 2004. The US, California, and County Governments paid for it and it closes at either 4 in the afternoon or 5:00 depending on the season.

Sweetwater only kept its promise at Loveland to get the Forest Service land....and as we have seen they slashed back at that with a second betrayal by the Forest Service pretending that they were defenseless against it. Pure Fing governement scams.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

I feel like I wrote this on the old SDFISH site three years ago.

The 1997 land swap was a favor to the Cleveland National Forest Foundation and other Descanso/Guatay people who didn't want anyone building on the Samagatuma property which is nothing special at all and has just sat there since.. Sweetwater's Environmental and Government affairs lead was in cahoots with the Cleveland National Forest Foundation and was even a member, and now it looks like a lifelong Friend of the Forest Supervisor at the time of the land Swap. Former City lakes manager, Jim Brown, and the Department of Fish and Game tried to get more Loveland recreation from the land swap based on Sweetwater's historical promise of big recreation at the reservoir. The Descanso Ranger at the time squashed it for the team which was The Forest Service, Sweetwater, and these nimby's masking as conservationists further out in the east county. This was again all about clout and privilege just like the recent destruction and attempt to kick us out of Loveland permanently was. This time is was a cabal working around the promise of 350 million in San Mining.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »