New Loveland Updates

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

New Loveland Updates

Post by Everydog »

Good job on bringing the group back together and for coming back to join.

Here is a quick update on Loveland. With Fox 5 San Diego Videos. Miriam At East County Magazine has reported several times too. Reader has reported again.

I am shocked at the way people will talk about what they know nothing about on this Youtube thread from Fox_5, but at least the vibe looks 70% pro-maintenance of something at Loveland.

Just about a week ago.

My Loveland Reservoir Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/russell.walsh.1612

New Non-profit, Friends of Loveland Reservoir Page.
https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Lov ... 7598571879
Last edited by Everydog on Sat May 27, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Re: New Loveland Updates and Thanks for the Site

Post by Everydog »

Loveland reopens Tues. May 30th.
Everybody knows Sweetwater screwed up.
Last edited by Everydog on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StinkyPinky23
Pro Angler

Re: New Loveland Updates

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

I bet Sycuan would be open to allowing an electroshock/fish relocation back up the hill to where they originally came from 🤷‍♂️. Would be a good look for them to help out the lake/community by basically doing nothing but opening up a gate
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Good idea. Lots of people are talking to the local DFW biologist including me. It will be easy to share your idea. They do have their own ideas. I talked with the young man from DFW yesterday and he still said it's up to Sweetwater. If they have not capitulated yet, they will soon. Fish and fish-eating birds will be back. So far, the understanding is that this won't be run by DFW. Sweetwater will pull a permit with DFW guidelines and go from there with Sweetwater hiring a contractor. The fish will repopulate anyway.

One great suggestion is to get the local schools to build programs around the ecological recovery of the reservoir. I would like to see Sweetwater dare drain the fishing program again after about 5 years of that.
StinkyPinky23
Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

It just seems like something that could make sense, and would probably be the cheapest option around. The fish harvested would be of all sizes, with fish ready to spawn next spring. The best part being their genes originally came from Loveland
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

I won't have any control over that. I agree with all of it though anyway, your thinking is good. I think they might take a shad-first policy, or a mosquito fish and shad-first policy. that is some stuff I have heard through the grapevine.
if you want email addresses of who to write or some phone numbers, let me know in PM and I will help you out.
Scott-D
Angler

Post by Scott-D »

Anything short of buying fish from the Texas share lunker program would be selling the community short. I bet they purchase 5-10k bass in the 1 year range with poor genetic potential to re populate the lake. Likely no forage plant so the fish end up looking like Miramar bass.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I’d be happy if they stocked northerns. Aggressive numbers
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Green sunfish.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Went down there today. It looks great. There were some carp rolling on the surface, and some little fish, maybe mosquito fish in a few of the most protected spots. No restrictions on easement use except that it is overgrown because water hasn't been this high in a long time.
Fox-5 is going to be there at 5:30 or 6:00 to cover the opening as they have been following us rebels for a few months now.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

Wonder if SW is going to just try & sweep the re-stocking scenario under the rug.....
That comment in the news video, " no time-frame".....
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Slater wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:03 pm Wonder if SW is going to just try & sweep the re-stocking scenario under the rug.....
That comment in the news video, " no time-frame".....
No time frame from Sweetwater certainly means they don't want to do it.
State Senator Brian Jones has given us a solid letter of support with a heavy emphasis on fishing, which my son read at a Sweetwater board meeting recently. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqTt5D ... sp=sharing
I've been told that a meeting with the Senator and possibly his staff is going to happen with Sweetwater. My guess is that Sweetwater is holding fish stocking as a bargaining chip and it will be announced after the meeting with Senator Jones, but I don't really know.
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

thats my point!
Im sure theyre just hoping that it will go away, they gave you access & there's water in the hole, good enough.....
if their hand is forced, who's to police them? As ide imagine they will do the bare minimum inregards to fish stocks.....
Last edited by Slater on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Full Update:

Loveland is not going away. Sweetwater will stock fish, or the public will. Will it be ideal and suit everybody, no way. If fishermen think they are entitled to have some great genetics or other fish biology management they should get involved with their own time, money, and talent. Most of the people fighting for the lake are not passionate about bass genetics, but the environment, views, fire safety, and hiking.

Right now the Sweetwater board is being sore losers. We lost too. But they lost. Everybody lost, but the lake will stay. That wasn't in Sweetwater's plans. Who knows how the activities at the lake will evolve? It might not be the same in 20 years as it was 3 years ago before the trouble started. People have different ideas and aspirations for it. It should stay public on some level. It could be a shitty lake for fishermen, or it could be good again. I don't know. It could stay primitive, which real Loveland people want, but it could face development.

The public is policing it, for now, activism 101. Should have never stopped, and should never stop again. The Forest Service wants the easement to stay open. It seems like there is a new Descanso Ranger, Kyle Smith. He might be temporary but we don't know yet. But the same awful Forest Service Supervisor. Maybe the new Descanso Ranger will be better than the old one that helped Sweetwater walk all over us and be so destructive.

Sweetwater has an open CalEPA complaint against them for what they did at Loveland and the environmental and human impacts it had. It looks like it is sticking and impacting things...The board of directors should get formal citations but probably won't but they are learning that these decisions are not made in a vacuum, guided by delusions of grandeur of a couple of greedy elected officials.

They still want to do Sand Mining at Sweetwater Reservoir. They are looking for contractors to buy the project and pay royalties. A few companies are interested.
Last edited by Everydog on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Outdoor_Chase
Angler

Post by The_Outdoor_Chase »

“The public is policing it, for now, activism 101. Should have never stopped, and should never stop again. The Forest Service wants the easement to stay open. It seems like there is a new Descanso Ranger, Kyle Smith. He might be temporary but we don't know yet. But the same awful Forest Service Supervisor. Maybe the new Descanso Ranger will be better than the old one that helped Sweetwater walk all over us and be so destructive.“

The old descanso ranger was real tool. Same person who decided to close down public national forest on a whim not a directive during covid. Cant fix stupid.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

I think he was really a rotten person. He was so anti-lake user, pro-sweetwater and I have several emails that show how bad it was. I always believe people can change, so won't condemn him for life, but let's hope he never comes back and does learn something from this. I hope the people where he went are aware of his reputation and are ready to demand better from him from the start.
Last edited by Everydog on Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
StinkyPinky23
Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

Forgiving?! No, actually phuck everyone involved on that side of the argument. From the ones taking destructive action to those turning a blind eye. Still don’t understand why anyone “get into politics.” Show me a politician/official that isn’t a cockroach
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Turning a blind eye and doing nothing but bitching is the same thing. Please keep that in mind. Have you helped?
We are at a point where lake users' interests are at risk of being wiped out in a compromise for just water. I don't have time to explain it at this moment. Those lake users include anglers the tackle stores. Will they step up now? Really step up? I doubt it. There are a few individual anglers that have most have done nothing constructive or only do it when I bug them to death, if at all.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

The buckets of smaller fish that have been put into Loveland will spawn next year (if they aren't already getting busy). Their success depends on whether the water district screws around with the water level next spring and summer. "Genetics" aren't needed; with warm water, consistent water levels, and forage Loveland will be filled up with catchable bass in two years, and decent sized fish in three or four. Not my opinion, just science.

Edit: But....there's probably some grant money out there somewhere that could relocate some bigger bass and accelerate the process.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....