Fluorocarbon Leader

Discuss rods, reels, lures, terminal tackle, line and fishing related accessories or apparel.
Luc42
Angler

Fluorocarbon Leader

Post by Luc42 »

Im looking for some advice on what lb test of fluorocarbon leader I should be using when using 15lb or 25lb braided line.
Does it really matter if it’s 100% Fluro ?
La Mesan
Angler

Re: Fluorocarbon Leader

Post by La Mesan »

spinning or casting?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I are you literally talking about a leader like a couple feet or a top shot?

15-25lb braid is pretty small in diameter, assuming you are fishing finesse like spinning. I would use what ever lb test you would normally have if you are fishing straight mono on that set up. Say 6-8lb or what ever. Change for conditions or presentation. Your question is kind of vague because the answer depends on what you are fishing, species, rod/reel etc. you can always research the diameter of your braid and diameter of fluoro per lb test and try to match diameters

I recommend the Tony peña knot for your connection. There are differences in fluoro . There is true leader flouro and then there is not. Main line fluoro is not the same.
I highly recommend yozuri disappearing pink leader.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Just_Bass
Pro Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

I doubt you would see other benefits (ie invisible less stretch) of FC compare to Copolymer in 4-5 feet beside abrasion resistance. Do you plan to get leader material or just any line out of filler spool? If I can, I would go without leader to avoid weakness of connection knot. If I fish a lot of rip-rap I might add 12lb or abrazx or 10-12lb of hybrid depends on techniques.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

FC leader for the same diameter is stronger, harder (i.e. more abrasion resistant) and stiffer than FC main line. FC main line on average is harder and stiffer (harder to cast) than mono although there are softer FC lines and harder mono lines. Underwater visibility of FC is not that much different than mono, see https://www.slideserve.com/lesley/mathe ... visibility . You can also try your own experiments, most don't see much difference between mono and FC for visibility. FC is heavier than mono which is nice for weightless plastics. As far as what weight line, that depends upon whether you want light line to fool fish better or heavier line to fish rocks or pull fish out of weeds and bushes.
Luc42
Angler

Post by Luc42 »

My plan was just go a few feet of fluro leader and connect it with a uni to uni knot. I’m using all spinning reels. I just heard some anglers like to go a little bit heavier test compared to their main line.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Luc42 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:05 pm My plan was just go a few feet of fluro leader and connect it with a uni to uni knot. I’m using all spinning reels. I just heard some anglers like to go a little bit heavier test compared to their main line.
Depends on the application. If I’m fishing spinning gear it’s because I’m throwing finesse stuff, I use 19lb braid main line to an 8lb FC leader on one setup and on the other two I have 15lb mainline to 6 or 7lb FC leader, using an Albright Special knot. In both cases the braid is smaller diameter than the FC. Definitely get the leader specific FC for it. Sunline FC Leader is killer.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Uni to uni is a horrible knot that loses 30% of line strength. Look into the Albright or FC Knit. Retie your knot each trip: I use 6 feet to accommodate changing lures and rigs. My Kill stick has 30 braid to 15 Fluorocarbon leader. Make sure you buy leader line and not softened Fluorocarbon Mainline. This defeats the purpose of abrasion resistance. You can always go lighter or heavier leader depending conditions.