First time fishng the bays

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Phxangler
Angler

First time fishng the bays

Post by Phxangler »

Hello, I am from Phoenix. Been reading and watching videos about fishing the bays forever. Gonna try and fish it this weekend. I was wondering if there is a spot that is better to try for a first spotty or two. Size doesn’t really matter, it would just be fun to get on the board. I fish a lot here in AZ and Utah for cutthroats etc. i would be happy to take someone or give some tips in exchange for some tips, or take you quail hunting in AZ or something. Thanks !
William Ritchie
Angler

Re: First time fishng the bays

Post by William Ritchie »

viewtopic.php?p=3773#p3773 This link is info on the site about SD Bay , there is more as well DJ Thrillz wrote this up and has been a big help to many . Good Luck , WR
Last edited by William Ritchie on Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Ritchie
Angler

Post by William Ritchie »

Here is for Mission bay viewtopic.php?t=764
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

Thanks, I did check those out. I might try Pepper park. I have a solo canoe, basically a kayak. See what I can do near there maybe.
sdfriday
Angler

Post by sdfriday »

Plenty of spotties (and other species) at Pepper park from a kayak. If you are just looking to catch as fast as possible make the short paddle across the canal to the rocky shore/wall on the other side. You might think the fish will be on the wall and there are some, but most are 20-30feet off the wall in deeper water (8ft+). There's plenty of structure and grass down there. My best luck comes on smaller baits like weedless ned rigs. If you aren't hooking up within 5mins, paddle 20 ft and start over. If you have some time, paddle out to the mouth of the canal and fish the grass beds and drop off. Good luck!
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

sdfriday wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:18 pm Plenty of spotties (and other species) at Pepper park from a kayak. If you are just looking to catch as fast as possible make the short paddle across the canal to the rocky shore/wall on the other side. You might think the fish will be on the wall and there are some, but most are 20-30feet off the wall in deeper water (8ft+). There's plenty of structure and grass down there. My best luck comes on smaller baits like weedless ned rigs. If you aren't hooking up within 5mins, paddle 20 ft and start over. If you have some time, paddle out to the mouth of the canal and fish the grass beds and drop off. Good luck!
Thanks! Appreciate it. I should have two solid days, so hopefully that is enough to figure some stuff out. Appreciate the tips!
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

4" curly tail grub or 3" swimbait on a 1/4 ounce jig head, drag across the bottom while feeling the line between your forefinger and thumb, point the rod towards the lure, reel down while raising the rod tip if you feel anything like a fish mouthing the bait. Most bites will be "pressure bites" and not hard strikes. Baitcasting reel with 6 lb test, medium light rod. But almost any lure about that size worked on or near the bottom will work to some degree.

Last Saturday morning, I had 40 fish (mostly spotties) off Tidelands from a float tube so you can catch lots once you get the hang of it.

If you have a depth finder, look for edges between the flats and the channel and for any underwater humps. Probably easiest to catch spotties in 6-12' of water most of the time.

Not sure yet what my plans are this weekend as we have visitors, otherwise I would be happy to meet you on the water.
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

Gotfish? wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:10 pm 4" curly tail grub or 3" swimbait on a 1/4 ounce jig head, drag across the bottom while feeling the line between your forefinger and thumb, point the rod towards the lure, reel down while raising the rod tip if you feel anything like a fish mouthing the bait. Most bites will be "pressure bites" and not hard strikes. Baitcasting reel with 6 lb test, medium light rod. But almost any lure about that size worked on or near the bottom will work to some degree.

Last Saturday morning, I had 40 fish (mostly spotties) off Tidelands from a float tube so you can catch lots once you get the hang of it.

If you have a depth finder, look for edges between the flats and the channel and for any underwater humps. Probably easiest to catch spotties in 6-12' of water most of the time.

Not sure yet what my plans are this weekend as we have visitors, otherwise I would be happy to meet you on the water.
Thanks! That’s some good detail. I have fished largemouths with curlytails in a similar way, so I think I can get that down. Does time of day matter much? Or do they bite all day?
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Tidal current makes the biggest difference. Although you can catch them during all phases of the tide, the conventional wisdom is that the best bite is in the 1st hour or two after the water starts flowing after slack tide. Slack tide (whether high or low) tends to be slowest although sometimes the bite still holds up during slack tide. Dawn or dusk are often good too. They are not as sensitive as largemouths to the time of day. A large tide swing is better than a small tide swing. The fish will move around during the tide cycle to take advantage of the forage moving with the tide current; spots that are good during an incoming tide are not always that good during an outgoing tide and vice versa. Deeper water next to flats is good at low tide, the flats can be good at high tide. Rarely do I get fish other than small ones in <3' of water (there is a lot of grass that shallow too). Some weedless jig heads or even Texas rigged grubs are nice if you do fish the flats although this time of year the grass is not too bad.

Tides are at https://wavecast.com/tides/ . If I was fishing on Saturday, I would start at 6 am but would expect the bite to be best from 8-10 am.

Let us know how you do.
Fishtricks
Pro Angler

Post by Fishtricks »

Texas rigged drop shot. 4" curltail worm. 12" dropper. 6lb test. Worked quickly across the bottom always works too
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

Thanks for all the help guys. I will let you know how it goes. Seems like I have been wanting to try it forever. I have been trout fishing in the mountains for the last couple of uears and I am stoked to try the bays.
Fishtricks
Pro Angler

Post by Fishtricks »

I go to Phoenix regularly. I think im going in 2 weeks. Lets get it on.
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

Fishtricks wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:09 am I go to Phoenix regularly. I think im going in 2 weeks. Lets get it on.
What part of town will you be in? I might be able to break away, or at least put you in a decent spot, either right in town, or slightly out of town.
Jc153fishing
Pro Angler

Post by Jc153fishing »

Small fluk on drop shot bro ..
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

Just got done with my first session at Pepper park. 2 spotties and a small halibut on curlytail grubs. Missed 3 bites, but thanks for the tips everyone. It really helped out.
Attachments
IMG_6908.jpeg
IMG_6912.jpeg
Fishtricks
Pro Angler

Post by Fishtricks »

Near the airport. Probably wont have time to fish. If i do it will be city canals.
Phxangler
Angler

Post by Phxangler »

Yeah, I would just hit the SRP canals with a lipless crankbait or something. Plenty of bass in there.