It's getting to be that time of year again for ...

For all fly fishing related discussions - tackle, locations, fly tying, and reports from everywhere and anywhere.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

It's getting to be that time of year again for ...

Post by Tailingloop »

... improving shore based bluegill fishing

Water is warming. Fish should begin spawning over the next few months.

If you are limit to being on foot and unable to fish deeper from a boat/tube/yak then the fish will be more accessible in the shallows in the morning and evening.

A couple from a two hour session yesterday that produced six bluegill and one LMB. This was at Murray but the action should be picking up in the shallows at all of the lower elevation lakes.
This one 11.5 inches
This one 11.5 inches
Four of the six were this size.
Average size.  For reference, reel is 3" diameter
Average size. For reference, reel is 3" diameter
Early release
Extreme Angler

Re: It's getting to be that time of year again for ...

Post by Early release »

Nice fish, but the rod looks beautiful.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Early release wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm Nice fish, but the rod looks beautiful.
The rod was custom made for the late Bill Stroud (of Stroud Tackle Fly Fishing) by a local custom bamboo rod maker who has since moved to Idaho.

It is a 7'6" 4wt, through I use a 5wt line on it for close range roll casting with weighted flies but a 4wt when fishing streams in the Sierra.

The reel seat insert is mahogany. The grip is cedar instead of cork. It makes for an attractive grip and some other custom builders also form grips from wood. Though attractive, it can be hard on the hand for a full day of fishing (ok for 2-3 hours). It can be is bit slick when when wet but not so much that the rod slips with casting. The bamboo is lightly flame treated to make it darker than natural cane.

Bill fished the rod a couple of times before he passed. I fish it 4-6 times a year in his memory.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

It's certainly a beautiful rod and it's nice to hear it's also a tribute to someone. Thanks for sharing.
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

Wow this is exciting to see. On my honeymoon I was forced to fish flies in Scotland and Ireland and most of my time was spent learning. Didn't realize there was a culture for it so big in San Diego. Excited to get going here as Murray is my home lake. Also barrett seems fun :D
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Hellavate wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 pm Wow this is exciting to see. On my honeymoon I was forced to fish flies in Scotland and Ireland and most of my time was spent learning. Didn't realize there was a culture for it so big in San Diego. Excited to get going here as Murray is my home lake. Also barrett seems fun :D
Although San Diego doesn't get attention as an area for good fly fishing in national fishing media there is a long fly fishing history here.

Presently there are two fly fishing clubs in San Diego County: San Diego Flyfishers and Golden State Fly casters.

There are also to local fly shops: Stroud Tackle has been on Morena Blvd since 1970. The Fly Stop, up in the Miramar area, has been around about 10 years.

Lots of good to great fly fishing locally in both fresh and saltwater. I have caught more than 40 species of fish on the fly within 50 miles of my house. That includes fresh and saltwater species.

San Diego Flyfishers has free casting lessons every Sunday (some holidays excepted) starting at 0900 at Lake Murray. They provide the gear for instruction so you do not need to bring anything and it is open to anyone - you do not need to be a member.
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

Tailingloop wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 pm
Hellavate wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 pm Wow this is exciting to see. On my honeymoon I was forced to fish flies in Scotland and Ireland and most of my time was spent learning. Didn't realize there was a culture for it so big in San Diego. Excited to get going here as Murray is my home lake. Also barrett seems fun :D
Although San Diego doesn't get attention as an area for good fly fishing in national fishing media there is a long fly fishing history here.

Presently there are two fly fishing clubs in San Diego County: San Diego Flyfishers and Golden State Fly casters.

There are also to local fly shops: Stroud Tackle has been on Morena Blvd since 1970. The Fly Stop, up in the Miramar area, has been around about 10 years.

Lots of good to great fly fishing locally in both fresh and saltwater. I have caught more than 40 species of fish on the fly within 50 miles of my house. That includes fresh and saltwater species.

San Diego Flyfishers has free casting lessons every Sunday (some holidays excepted) starting at 0900 at Lake Murray. They provide the gear for instruction so you do not need to bring anything and it is open to anyone - you do not need to be a member.
I actually saw and popped my head in today with them! Was curious about what kind of flies you're using to target bass for Barrett as I have many trips planned this season there.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Hellavate wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:03 pm

I actually saw and popped my head in today with them! Was curious about what kind of flies you're using to target bass for Barrett as I have many trips planned this season there.
Flies For Barrett:

Sub Surface

Clouser minnows: All white, grey/white, olive/white, chartreuse/white, red/white. Preferably tied with a snag/weed guard. Hard to find commercial examples with a guard - I tie my own. Have caught some big bluegill and crappie with these, though do better for crappie with flies without guards. Sizes 6, 4, 2, and sometimes 2/0

Lefty's Deceiver like patterns. Many types of patterns out there that are minnow shaped. Again with weed guards. Sizes 2 and 2/0. Same colors as Clouser Minnows.

Bead head woolly buggers in various sizes and colors, but I would have black and white versions. I tie my own with weed guards.

Bugger or leach like flies tied on fly jig heads. I use the Wapsi super jig heads. Blacks, olives, purples, whites with a little bit of flash. For bluegill, bass, and crappie and even catfish.. These are smaller flies, generally 1.5 or so inches long. Have caught many 3lb+ bass on these including some 6lb fish.

Topwater (Color doesn't matter much - use something you can see)

Dahlberg Diver and Whitlock's Swimming Frog like patterns. With weed guard.

Foam or hard bodied poppers as well as deer hair bugs. Again with weed guards.

Gartside gurglers, with and without weed guards.

Crease flies - sizes 4, 2, 1, 1/0

Small bluegill poppers.

I like to have flies both with and without weed guards. With weed guards I can put the flies into cover with a much less chance of getting snagged, but snags do happen. Crappie often grab flies but their mouths are not strong enough to collapse most good weed guards. I have been in situations where I was getting a lot of topwater grabs but no hookups. Switched to a popper or gurgler without weed guard and started catching huge crappie.

See viewtopic.php?t=1036 which summarizes the rods and lines that I take to Barrett.

Some flies I use.
Shad colored clouser minnow - weedless
Shad colored clouser minnow - weedless
Gartside Gurgler
Gartside Gurgler
Small Crease fly
Small Crease fly
JIgflies
JIgflies
Dahlber Diver/ Swimming Frog
Dahlber Diver/ Swimming Frog
Deer hair popper