Biggest Bass of the year so far!! Lake Hodges

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Biggest Bass of the year so far!! Lake Hodges

Post by Pourboy »

Spring Fishing Lake Hodges: The Biggest Bass Of The Year! So Far…

Good morning all, I managed to get out on Lake Hodges last week and found the lake completely socked in by fog, which is not uncommon for that lake. Met up with Early Release at the launch was hoping to fish together for a little bit, but ended up getting separated in the fog. I went my own way and tried something new. I watched a video about how 41% of the largemouth bass live in no nothing flats with zero structure, apparently they found this out by using GPS trackers on the fish over the course of years. Off to try some flats since the lake has been having lots of pressure lately. I met little success to begin with but did end up catching two on spinner baits in an area I hadn’t caught them before .

I decided to make a move to the rocky side of Del Dios in standard operating procedure for that lake these days. I had not fish that area in a few weeks, but knew that other people had. I decided to go back with the jig after trying reaction baits and ended up hooking up almost immediately. The second of the day on the jig ended up being 6.45 pounds and my biggest fish of the year so far. Woo hoo! I ended up picking up a few more down the edge and then the bite tapered off down past the pump area and then headed back , end up getting a few more fish at the same spot where I got the big one. I ended up getting a few more, including one of similar size to the big one, but that one came off on the first jump.

I left the lake shortly after that to enjoy some oysters and clams and chips at Sportsman’s Seafood on Mission Bay with the family. $25 a dozen for oysters on the half shell is not so bad along with a $17 picture of Green Flash West Coast IPA and great company pretty much ended a perfect day.

I did post a new video about the day if you’re interested. Cheers all and I look forward to seeing you guys on the water soon. I hope your lines are tight at all times!

p.s. What are your thoughts on fishing no nothing flats with no structure? I’m trying to find the video to link it here but am having difficulty. It’s a very interesting watch.
monstahfish
Angler

Re: Biggest Bass of the year so far!! Lake Hodges

Post by monstahfish »

I think I watched the same video! So far it hasn't paid off much for me but I suck at bass fishing. I'm much better with trout and saltwater haha.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Gotta love Sportsman’s! Great calamari and rolled fish tacos. And a good price on the pitcher of suds too!

There are a couple of no-nothing flats at Hodges that held bass back in the full pool days. Spinnerbaits and lipless cranks thrown as far as possible would produce. Without knowing for sure, I have to think there was a submerged small bush or tree holding or the bass had corralled a school of shad.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

monstahfish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:54 am I think I watched the same video! So far it hasn't paid off much for me but I suck at bass fishing. I'm much better with trout and saltwater haha.
I figured it was worth a try. I guess the fish are also more spread out if they are on the flats so it’ll be hit and miss.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

JWall wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 am Gotta love Sportsman’s! Great calamari and rolled fish tacos. And a good price on the pitcher of suds too!

There are a couple of no-nothing flats at Hodges that held bass back in the full pool days. Spinnerbaits and lipless cranks thrown as far as possible would produce. Without knowing for sure, I have to think there was a submerged small bush or tree holding or the bass had corralled a school of shad.
Yup I agree. One of my biggest there was right off the old tube/kayak launch areas. A couple of random sticks underwater. I’ll still keep searching for hidden gems I think.
1Fishdude
Angler

Post by 1Fishdude »

I have never seen the article you are talking about but i have fished the big flats where the water use to come in via a stream by the entrance to the lake. When the lake was full there was tons of structure and tons of fish there to. I think even though the drawdown in the water level has created a huge flat I think the fish are still there but now very spread out due to lack of structure. I have fished it recently but with little success on plastics. Cranks or spinnerbaits or any search baits seem to work best but not that good. I have fished that area a few times but didnt spend much time there because i love to throw jigs in Hodges. I spent one day only concentrating on the flats and had a very mediocre day with only 3 dinks to show for it.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

I feel you man! I know they’re there just spread out.
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

Featureless flats during the spawn can be epic. You can Chuck and wind lipless cranks without fear of getting hung up. When the bait does a sudden stop, it’s almost always a fish!
monstahfish
Angler

Post by monstahfish »

MaxZmus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:44 pm Featureless flats during the spawn can be epic. You can Chuck and wind lipless cranks without fear of getting hung up. When the bait does a sudden stop, it’s almost always a fish!
That's a great point. I would also bet they're cruising them pre spawn.
monstahfish
Angler

Post by monstahfish »

By the way, Pourboy, that fish is a stud, nice work!
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

monstahfish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:23 pm By the way, Pourboy, that fish is a stud, nice work!
Thanks so much! It was a fun one for sure.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Now that is what we're talking about......that is a nice bass!
Always fun to nail a fat one and your PB for 2024 so far. When you put it down to measure it you can really see how fat it was.
Nice job out there in the fog and great video as always.
Thanks for sharing and tight lines always. :-)
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Always great video work and that's a nice bass. Certainly would be a good personal best for all time even. Sorry I lost you in the fog. When I headed out, I kind of felt like I was pedaling a little longer than I should have been. I looked at GPS on my depthfinder and I was in the middle of the lake on a slow turn I didn't know I was making. I used the depthfinder to get to the other side and when I had a shoreline, I stayed close to it. It cleared up and it sure was a nice day.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:14 pm Now that is what we're talking about......that is a nice bass!
Always fun to nail a fat one and your PB for 2024 so far. When you put it down to measure it you can really see how fat it was.
Nice job out there in the fog and great video as always.
Thanks for sharing and tight lines always. :-)
Thanks so much! Can’t wait for the next biggun’!
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Early release wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:35 pm Always great video work and that's a nice bass. Certainly would be a good personal best for all time even. Sorry I lost you in the fog. When I headed out, I kind of felt like I was pedaling a little longer than I should have been. I looked at GPS on my depthfinder and I was in the middle of the lake on a slow turn I didn't know I was making. I used the depthfinder to get to the other side and when I had a shoreline, I stayed close to it. It cleared up and it sure was a nice day.
No worries about losing me. It was crazy with the fog. Can’t wait for the next round.
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Another fun video. Keep it up!
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Another awesome video. Congratulations Chris!
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks all! It was a fun day out there but also can’t wait for the next one!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Not sure on the no nothing flats. But I have caught bass in “the desert” many times. I can tell you, where you caught that big one and caught a few more, I’d be on that spot for a long time and not move. It’s hard to stay in one spot when you have the opportunity to constantly be on the move but I have learned over many, many years of bank pounding my local lake, fish seem to key on one or a few areas that have all the right features and you never have to move. I fish my tube the same way unless it’s a river bottom situation where all the shore is the same. If you get on a good point or secondary point with deep water access, you could pretty much stay there all day and get fish as they come in waves. Who am I though to give advise to a guy with an absolute giant in his avatar hahaha
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

camobass wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm Not sure on the no nothing flats. But I have caught bass in “the desert” many times. I can tell you, where you caught that big one and caught a few more, I’d be on that spot for a long time and not move. It’s hard to stay in one spot when you have the opportunity to constantly be on the move but I have learned over many, many years of bank pounding my local lake, fish seem to key on one or a few areas that have all the right features and you never have to move. I fish my tube the same way unless it’s a river bottom situation where all the shore is the same. If you get on a good point or secondary point with deep water access, you could pretty much stay there all day and get fish as they come in waves. Who am I though to give advise to a guy with an absolute giant in his avatar hahaha
Excellent advice for sure. I’m always looking for new ideas on how to improve and try new things. The day I think I know and understand it all I need to give up fishing. Cheers!