Vietnam Veterans Day

Discussions not related to fishing.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Vietnam Veterans Day

Post by Midnightpass »

Wishing all of my fellow Vietnam Veterans a great day... I lay in bed this morning thinking about all of my friends from our time in country... Living and the ones no longer with us... Joe, Rich, Randy, Mark, Greg, Cappy, and many others..
Butch
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Vietnam Veterans Day

Post by camobass »

Amen
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Fishbreath
Angler

Post by Fishbreath »

Midnightpass wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am Wishing all of my fellow Vietnam Veterans a great day... I
Thank you, and the same back at you. I had lunch with a friend of over thirty years, and in the conversation found out that he had never realized that I served in Viet Nam. He knew that I spent 21 years in the Air Force, but did not know that a year of that was in Viet Nam. Guess it's not something I talk about very much.
Fishing tales told here - some true.
The Best of Fishbreath
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

Welcome home my brother
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Daaang. You guys are old.

I only experienced that particular skirmish through the eyes of a kid whose dad was gone half the time while I was growing up.
201906089512103495Film1.jpg
Dad was a corpsman, usually aboard a ship, but one tour attached to a Marine unit. Even got to make an amphibious landing. ("We were supposed to be in the third wave, but somehow we were the first ones on the beach.") Nobody was shooting at them that day.

He worked in the MedCap program, volunteering to provide medical services in the villages near the base. The coolest picture he had (unfortunately, it has disappeared) was of the civilian ambulance they used, with an m-60 mounted on the roof. The other photo I remember was of two young marines...kids, really...who he called "my bodyguards." They drove him while he did his MedCap thing.

He came home a couple months before the real crapstorm hit...I hear Phu Bai got rocked pretty hard at the beginning of the Tet Offensive.

Thank y'all for your service..
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....