Hook size for surf C-rig

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
cajunjacket
Angler

Hook size for surf C-rig

Post by cajunjacket »

I was wondering what size hook you guys like using for surf fishing a C-rig for the usual surf critters - BSP, YFC, SFC, and Beans. I'm getting back into surf fishing, and back when I stopped fishing a few years ago, I had mainly used a size 6 baitholder hook. I went with a baitholder b/c the Walmart near my house only has those and doesn't carry mosquito hooks or octopus hooks.

Unfortunately, I'm getting more gill/gut hooks than I'd like with the size 6. Maybe it's b/c I'm slow to set the hook b/c I'm a bit rusty and gettin back into it? Now, I'm considering upping my hook size to a 4, but I'm wondering what others like to use. Is a 4 a nice size to be in that goldilocks range of not gut hooking, but still having a decent hookup rate? What size and type of hook do you like to fish on your light-line C-rig?
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Re: Hook size for surf C-rig

Post by Perch killer »

For me, it usually depends on what bait I'm using. I prefer the 4 mosquito or octopus for average size sand crabs but have gone down to a 6 on real small ones or up to 2 for larger crabs or for bloodworms, ghost shrimp & mussel. Baitholder 4's also work well for ghosties & bw's. Corbina can be finicky on bait presentation so I try to use a hook size that the bait will almost completely cover the hook. Croakers don't seem to be as discerning on hook exposure - - if they want it, they'll hit it ! Good luck getting back into the surf.
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

If you really care about avoiding gut hooking, I suggest that you use inline (non-offset) circle hooks. 95% of time your catch will be lip-hooked, like in the picture below.
PXL_20240224_003525743.jpg
Hook set would be different with circles and will take some time to get use to. I use them exclusively. They are also a lot more snag-resistant compared to other types of the hooks (I fish in rocks and reefs).

Ironically, it is more difficult to get the circle hook off the fish compared to, say, J-hooks. Most of the time I need to use a plier. Maybe I have not figured out the "right way" to do it.
Mike M
Angler

Post by Mike M »

I've included a diagram of the setup I use. I keep the light tight to the weight and wind/swing when I feel a bite or the weight goes slack. Although I don't know the mechanism, I lip hook almost every fish. It could be the weight setting the hook as they pull away, or maybe the bead keeps them from swallowing, or something else.
Gangion detail.jpg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

For the c rig, I use a #6 mosquito and tie a snell knot. That’s for the gulp sand worm and sand crab.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

I use a #8 mosquito hook, but do get a few swallows.. Oddly, it's the dink perch where i get tho most gut hooks... Maybe they have to be more aggressive to get their food... Those and those darn jack smelt, that swallow every thing they see. :x ... I used to use Owner Mutu Circle hooks for this very reason....
Butch
twin22s
Angler

Post by twin22s »

The size is less important than the style, if fishing sand crabs I will use a red or gold mosquito hook that is wider than the crabs I'm using, I like the hook exposed some. this will still result in some deep hooked fish though, I carry hemostats, debarbing the hook would be a good idea if you are just C&R, not sure a SC would stay on the hook though....
Fishing soft natural baits on a small circle hook would be the best way to avoid gut hooks.
The only time I use baitholder hooks is with gulp sandwarms to keep the bait straight and prevent spinning. The barred perch(and whatever else eats it) will choke those things down if you don't set at the first tap you feel.
all that said if upping the hook size is your only option then yes it will help a little, you will miss more of the smaller fish and still deep hook some though.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

camobass wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:54 pm For the c rig, I use a #6 mosquito and tie a snell knot. That’s for the gulp sand worm and sand crab.
To answer the question, I also use a #6 mosquito, but with a Palomar knot. Snelling would probably work as well or better.

Click away here or pack a lunch, I'ma chew this fine....

I carry the Dr. Fisherman hemostat/scissors on a cord around my neck.... and when surf fishing I usually carry a 2nd set of really tiny hemostats. If I can see the eye of the hook, I can go in through the gill, grab the hook and rotate it out. The round shape of the mosquito hook helps.

The #6 mosquito has a few advantages.

You can buy a Pro Pack that has a 57 hooks which helps keep the price down (if you can find the big pack; they used to sell 'em at some Walmarts, even). $13.14 on Amazon as we speak.... er, type....read...whatever.

That hook on a c-rig works with sand crabs, gulp sandworms, grubs from 3/4 to 2 inches, and nearly any size ghost shrimp. It also works for skinny baits on a dropshot setup. Don't have to re-tie a different hook to switch baits.

The eye on a size 6 Mosquito hook is very small....and can be stitched through soft baits (like a strip of fish, a ghostie or mussel) with a minimum of tearing....more structural integrittyness.

The black nickel finish is pretty durable, even in saltwater. I cut off my hooks and rinse after each use...more importantly, inspect for any corrosion, or odd bending of the hook from pulling it off a snag or a fish. A hook that gets bent while fishing...meh...I'll probably just bend it back into shape, but it gets trashed when I get home.

Izorline xxx in 4 or 6 lb. test.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

The good thing is those little deep hooked perch aren’t going to waste. They go right back into the food chain.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Mike M
Angler

Post by Mike M »

I also like Caivo Nanowire #10 hooks. The size is in between Owner Mosquito #6 and #8. Essentially an Owner Mosquito #7 at less than 1/2 the cost.
Caivo Nanowire 10 hooks.jpg