Perch at Blacks

For all fly fishing related discussions - tackle, locations, fly tying, and reports from everywhere and anywhere.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Perch at Blacks

Post by Neuroshima »

Got into some perch and snagged a few shovelnose at Blacks on Sunday. 4 perch on the morning falling tide, and ended the day with a beefy 12 incher.
Attachments
PXL_20240317_154104032.TS_exported_1799_1710701005975.jpg
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Re: Perch at Blacks

Post by Midnightpass »

Nice perch... Those shovels must have been a tussle on the fly rod....
Butch
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Midnightpass wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 am Nice perch... Those shovels must have been a tussle on the fly rod....
Butch
I snagged so many last year, the first one I knew it was a SNG and fouled in the tail the way it was fighting. It was about 2 feet long. Second one was smaller but hooked underneath the nose, looking like it was almost a legit eat.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Neuroshima wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm
Midnightpass wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 am Nice perch... Those shovels must have been a tussle on the fly rod....
Butch
I snagged so many last year, the first one I knew it was a SNG and fouled in the tail the way it was fighting. It was about 2 feet long. Second one was smaller but hooked underneath the nose, looking like it was almost a legit eat.
A tail hooked SNGF IS a handful…
Butch
Joshmo62
Angler

Post by Joshmo62 »

Awesome man! Good to see you getting out there slinging flies!!!
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Beautiful perch. Is there much structure at Blacks?
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Rattus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:49 pm Beautiful perch. Is there much structure at Blacks?
There's always a few cuts right at the trail to the gliderport, but I tend to find most success near the north trail by the golf course. Interestingly, google photos has a new heatmap feature of where pictures were taken so you can actually see where most of my catches/pics were.
Screenshot_20240325-084612.png
Last edited by Neuroshima on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Never heard of the "near heatmap" feature before...
Butch
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Midnightpass wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:12 am Never heard of the "near heatmap" feature before...
Butch
Typo, meant to say "new."
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Neuroshima wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am There's always a few cuts right at the trail to the gliderport, but I tend to find most success near the north trail by the golf course.
Dumb question, but what is a cut? I checked out Blacks this evening near the North Trail, it was a low-ish incoming tide. It all looked like smooth beach to me, however, I’m absolutely terrible at finding beach structure.

The only exciting moment was seeing the back of something big scurry away in ankle deep water just a few feet away, I think it might have been a shovel nose or a leo. Otherwise a whole lotta nada.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

You guys are brave venturing down to blacks. You may see something you’ll never be able to unsee
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

camobass wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:01 am You guys are brave venturing down to blacks. You may see something you’ll never be able to unsee
LOL, so……careful on the backcast and use barbless hooks? ;)
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Rattus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 pm
Neuroshima wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am There's always a few cuts right at the trail to the gliderport, but I tend to find most success near the north trail by the golf course.
Dumb question, but what is a cut? I checked out Blacks this evening near the North Trail, it was a low-ish incoming tide. It all looked like smooth beach to me, however, I’m absolutely terrible at finding beach structure.

The only exciting moment was seeing the back of something big scurry away in ankle deep water just a few feet away, I think it might have been a shovel nose or a leo. Otherwise a whole lotta nada.
The space in between two sandbars.
Beach_topview.jpg
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

camobass wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:01 am You guys are brave venturing down to blacks. You may see something you’ll never be able to unsee
Penises?!?!?! Oh no!!!!!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Beyond…
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Neuroshima, thanks. I had known them as rips or channels, but see its the same concept. I can spot them from elevation but have a very difficult time seeing them on the beach.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Rattus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:31 pm Neuroshima, thanks. I had known them as rips or channels, but see its the same concept. I can spot them from elevation but have a very difficult time seeing them on the beach.

I watch the top of the waves as they come in, and look for where the white foam disappears.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Rattus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:31 pm Neuroshima, thanks. I had known them as rips or channels, but see its the same concept. I can spot them from elevation but have a very difficult time seeing them on the beach.
I also go to https://hdontap.com/#beach and watch the surf cams to "practice" reading the water.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

camobass wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:26 pmBeyond…
I've heard humor of group debauchery. Never witness anything in my 6 years of fishing there, almost weekly during corbina season. If it does happen, it must be up against the cliffs and not near the shore and not between the hours of 6-10AM when I usually fish. That's what I like about Blacks, even at high tide, most of the bluffs are still a hundred feet or so from the water line.

With the explosion of OnlyFans, the tide has actually turned a bit in a straight man's favor, with all these influencers trying to create content. Example below.
PXL_20220806_142933154.jpg
The most uncomfortable I've been is when this old fly angler vacationing from the midwest came up to me, baffled that one could fly fish the surf, holding my sand crab fly above his dingdong.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I used to surf down there alot back in the day and there were always a few boots, jacket, gloves and scarf guys down there with no pants on yanking the crank that you had to navigate by. Pretty sick and twisted.