Surf City=Slab City?

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Surf City=Slab City?

Post by Midnightpass »

Started the day by finding only 2 sand crabs, so I went with the old stand by.... Dried, frozen blood worms... I first tried Seal Beach for no bites on the SCs or BWs.. After wasting a couple of hours there, I made a run to Huntington Beach... Good choice... After a few misfires with 2 dinky BSP, I found a honey hole... In about an an hour and a half I got 20 nice perch... Most around the 12-13" range with a couple in the 10" size... Nothing spectacular but nice fish..
The 3rd guy down was pretty healthy and fought nicely for only having 1/2 a tail...
IMG_6013cs.jpg
IMG_6014cs.jpg
IMG_6015cs.jpg
IMG_6023cs.jpg
IMG_6031cs.jpg
Butch
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Re: Surf City=Slab City?

Post by Perch killer »

Looks like a fun session to me . . some nice ones. The perch on average seem larger this winter than past years. Have seen more 12 - 15+ inchers caught the past few months at So. Cal beaches compared to previous years. El Nino effect ??
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

Simply outstanding my friend, may have to take a trip down your way 8-)
Last edited by vdisney on Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Perch killer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:50 pm Looks like a fun session to me . . some nice ones. The perch on average seem larger this winter than past years. Have seen more 12 - 15+ inchers caught the past few months at So. Cal beaches compared to previous years. El Nino effect ??
I agree with you.. Seems like the "Big Kids" are in town... I've seen some nice ones caught this year...
Butch
maraxus
Angler

Post by maraxus »

Nice session, thanks for sharing.
Mike M
Angler

Post by Mike M »

Way to go, Butch!
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Thanks guys... The last 2 trips weren't as productive... 1st was Tar Ball City instead of Slab City... I walked off the beach with about an inch of tar stuck to my feet (Oil spill) and 2-dink BSP to my name... And the last trip I got blown off of the beach by a howling wind, and no bites... Looking forward to next week... Oh and any of you bait guys, Big Fish Bait And Tackle tells me they aren't gonna carry blood worms until summer... They say they don't sell enough to make it worth while.. Then how come about 1/2 the time I try to buy some, they just ran out?.. They are the only local source for the around the NOC area.. And don't get me going about a bait shop that doesn't open until 7AM, and then the employees don't show up to open up until 7:20-7:45... They used to have this older guy (Ron) that would open up at about 5 AM... Poor guy passed away though.. Really good guy..
Butch