Atmospheric Riverdance

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Atmospheric Riverdance

Post by Carpkiller »

Wanted to do a tide ride along the Coronado side of the big bay on Monday. Storm won't be here 'til Tuesday, right?

So I tied up some stuff and was ready to go.
20240218_215830[1].jpg
Plan was to leave the truck near Crown Cove, portage to the Cays, and ride the tide down the bay, getting out before the wind picked up. But I drove through several small squalls on the way to the bay...windy drizzles, not really raining, don't be a wuss...until I got to Crown Cove......

vas.JPG
So I opted to fish the sheltered waters of Glorietta Bay. And the weather cleared up...sorta... once I launched. The Tide Ride would have worked, weather-wise. By noon, I had only caught two spotties, working the open bay and along the docks.

Got nothing dropping lures along pilings and under docks. Fishtricks set me up with a unique rod, and I figured it would be good for horsing spotties away from the pilings...but didn't get a chance to try it because the fish weren't.....just weren't....

The only place with fish was circled in red. Three fish on my first three casts on the ScorcherZ tube bait. Okay, so the fish are here, time to try different lures...which got nothing. Three more fish when I went back to the tube baits, though.
glorietta.JPG
I found schools of spotties in this area on at least three other trips. It's sort of a flat area without current or deep spots or humps. Maybe a clam bed or something? If you're ever fishing those docks, drag a lure through this zone.

Anyway, finished the day with 10 spotties, 4 mackerel and three smeltzillas.

I suspect all the spotties were out in the channel where they usually hang out this time of year, but I was too lazy to go and get 'em because of a little wind and rain.

The meek may inherit the earth...but they weren't catching spotties on Presidents' Day.....
Last edited by Carpkiller on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
crawdadguy
Angler

Re: Atmospheric Riverdance

Post by crawdadguy »

great report...the rain wreaks havok on a boat ...but a tube....good for you.