DIY Rod Tube holder advice needed

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Rattus
Pro Angler

DIY Rod Tube holder advice needed

Post by Rattus »

I have an Outcast Super Fat Cat and wanted to build a multi rod tube holder for it. The internet has lots of ideas and videos, mostly PVC projects, but what do you all have/recommend that works for you? Do you prefer the rods to be angled back or pointing straight up? Just seeing what solutions forum members are coming up with. Thanks.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Re: DIY Rod Tube holder advice needed

Post by Gotfish? »

I have the same tube. Mine holds 5 rods plus depth finder and has 45 degree holder for holding rod while unhooking fish or paying out line. Velcro straps to attach to side and T at bottom goes to a bungee. It is a hodgepodge that I have modified over the years.
Attachments
IMG_0713.jpeg
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

So the velcro straps attach to the D-rings on the side and the bungee attaches to one or two D-rings on the bottom of the tube? I'm having a hard time picturing how it attaches.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Yes and yes. Velcro is glued on one end and wraps around the skinny section. Bungee is 6’ long and hooks around T.
Attachments
IMG_0715.jpeg
IMG_0714.jpeg
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

This is what it looks like mounted.
Attachments
IMG_9284.jpeg
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Note that the 45 degree holder is not glued in place and can swivel. Same with depth finder. There as also a keeper cord so the swivel parts can’t separate and fall in the water.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Clever setup, thanks for sharing!
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Some more pics. Was at the bay today. Slow, sometimes that way after a storm. 6 spotties, 1 smelt.
Attachments
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0718.jpeg
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Black ABS pipe is lighter than comparably sized PVC...but costs more.
PVC pipe is what I chose. On my first build, I had a stabilizer arm going under the tube. Didn’t like it. It caught moss, eelgrass, and even dead kelp stringers. So this version has a short pipe that extends OVER the pontoon...secured to a short piece of nylon strap sewn to the top of the tube behind the cargo compartment.

Look at the first pic down below of some geezer in a tube. Note that the tube is suspended from the D-rings using velcro straps...with nothing extending underwater except the guy's butt and his legs. Velcro straps do not scratch the side of your car if you lean your tube against it...and they don't clank against the bed of your truck if you're trying to sneak out of the driveway in the early a.m.

In the next pic, you can see the little stabilizer here...coming off the last upright tube

My best bit of advice will result in a less expensive rod rack that’s 40 to 53 percent lighter than everyone else’s.

Check out these pieces of PVC. in the next two pics.

Which bits would you rather use...right or left? The ones on the right are the smallest Schedule 40 PVC that your rods will fit inside.

On the left are the fittings and pipe called Class 200

Ignore the part where it's called 1 inch pipe...PVC pipe sizes are whack. The easiest way to put what you need in your hands is as follows....
Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Find the pipe called “Schedule 40 1 inch.”

At this point, you're getting closer. Somewhere very close by is the stuff you want....“Class 200” that has the same outside diameter as the Schedule 40 1 inch. But it’s a thinner wall pipe, so your rods will fit. Last time I was at Lowe's in Santee, the Class 200 was actually hidden BEHIND the Schedule 40.

The Class 200 doesn't use special fittings....it uses the same ones as the Schedule 40, 1 inch ....crap. Never mind the numbers, just take that pipe and find the fittings that slide on.
Attachments
220214 rob in tube caribe.jpeg
bar (2).jpg
pvc comparo 1.jpg
pvc comparo 2.jpg
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

You could even pretend to be a baller and just wrap some carbon fiber stickers over the pvc :lol:

I just use 2 rod holders on the front of my fish cat made from abs
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

DIY Rod Holder 1.jpg
Thanks for all the ideas. Here's the project thus far. It's ABS (I like the look of black) and will hold six rods/pieces of gear on left side of tube. I plan to replace the nut on the bottom side of the eye bolts with eye nuts, so I can bungee from the eye nuts to D-rings underneath the tube. The holders will will be 1 foot ABS pipe sections into the horizontal mount. It's a simple design. Will keep you all posted. So far, ~$12 for 10' section of ABS pipe, ~$4/per 3-way connector, ~$3/per 90° connector, ~$5 for ABS cement, ~$3/per 1/4" x 5" eyebolt. Eye Nuts are on order ($3/per).
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Only six? Pssht.....
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Carpkiller wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:37 am Only six? Pssht.....
There's always the right side for six more! ;)

Here it is, about to go out on the water for a test run. I wasn't sure if it was going to tend to lean away from the tube or in towards the tube. On the water, it tends to lean in towards the tube. Probably need to use shorter bungees on the bottom to counteract that. As a last resort, might employ Carpkiller's "stabilizer" device. Was a little concerned the added weight on the one side would make the tube float lopsided, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
DIY Rod Holder 1.JPG
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Rattus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:36 pm
Carpkiller wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:37 am Only six? Pssht.....
There's always the right side for six more! ;)

Here it is, about to go out on the water for a test run. I wasn't sure if it was going to tend to lean away from the tube or in towards the tube. On the water, it tends to lean in towards the tube. Probably need to use shorter bungees on the bottom to counteract that. As a last resort, might employ Carpkiller's "stabilizer" device. Was a little concerned the added weight on the one side would make the tube float lopsided, but that doesn't seem to be the case.DIY Rod Holder 1.JPG
Looks very nice but you need to add provision for a depth finder
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Maybe if you drop it down just an inch or two, the rod tubes will be more vertical...
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:01 amLooks very nice but you need to add provision for a depth finder
There is a provision, just not with the rod tubes.

I made a modified version of the Scotty 266 Float Tube Rod Adapter. The rod adapter portion was replaced with a wood block with a rail mount, then a standard fish finder transducer and head unit are attached to the rail mount and the whole thing is strapped to the right pontoon leg. I'll post a picture one of these days.

I'm just getting used to the fish finder and more often than not leave it home when on the tube. How do you guys use your finder when on the tube? To find drops offs, channels, etc? I usually have a general idea where those are from either experience, looking at a map, or how long it take the lure/fly to get to the bottom. I do find it useful for finding schools of bait fish that are not near the surface.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Rattus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:35 am
Gotfish? wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:01 amLooks very nice but you need to add provision for a depth finder
There is a provision, just not with the rod tubes.

I made a modified version of the Scotty 266 Float Tube Rod Adapter. The rod adapter portion was replaced with a wood block with a rail mount, then a standard fish finder transducer and head unit are attached to the rail mount and the whole thing is strapped to the right pontoon leg. I'll post a picture one of these days.

I'm just getting used to the fish finder and more often than not leave it home when on the tube. How do you guys use your finder when on the tube? To find drops offs, channels, etc? I usually have a general idea where those are from either experience, looking at a map, or how long it take the lure/fly to get to the bottom. I do find it useful for finding schools of bait fish that are not near the surface.
What finder do you have?
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Neuroshima wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 amWhat finder do you have?
Garmin Striker Vivid 4cv
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

I have a Humminbird Fishin Buddy but it isn't made anymore. Haven't yet seen anything I think would be better either.

The fish finder is mostly used for finding drop offs, big rocks, underwater structure, points, creek channels, whether the bottom is smooth, rocky or weeds, etc. Not really used much to actually spot fish. The high end fish finders on bass boats with forward facing sonar and other features can be used to spot individual fish and even your fishing lure but the models for float tubes and kayaks are not as powerful.

You will discover certain spots produce fish and the fish finder helps exactly locate them again. I also will store GPS locations on my phone. And when fishing the bay, I will often find a certain depth works best so I will fish that depth. I use it almost every time I go out.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Gonna be getting stuff to build mine out this weekend. Have a prefab “Brocraft” rod holder but there isn’t any way to rig it to keep it from leaning with 3 rods in it. Want to build something with a bar across the back - rod holder for 4 rods on my left side and a mount for my little finder and transducer on the right side. I’ll update here with progress. Step one is a trip to Ace Hardware to acquire materials