2024 Barrett Lake level

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
falafeluver
Angler

2024 Barrett Lake level

Post by falafeluver »

Anyone know the current lake level is at now?

Just wondering before the big rains coming over the Feb. 2024 weekend, how much the level will rise to like a before and after result.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: 2024 Barrett Lake level

Post by camobass »

They have been releasing water steady. The level is down but still back by the honor camp. I don’t think they will ever let any lakes, at least in east county ever fill back up unfortunately.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
meisner
Angler

Post by meisner »

camobass wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:15 am They have been releasing water steady. The level is down but still back by the honor camp. I don’t think they will ever let any lakes, at least in east county ever fill back up unfortunately.
Why is that?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Not sure exactly why but it seems ever since that dam let go in northern ca, they are not letting our lakes fill. The dams are old. Water equals money, every time they transfer water, someone is getting richer.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

On 1/30/24, it was less than 10' from spilling. With the rain today and next week, it will be over the top unless they let water out. Last year, the water was nearly at the top from what I remember. Unfortunately, the website does not list historical data.

https://www.sandiego.gov/reservoirs-lak ... ter-levels
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

I started to take screenshots of the lake level reports last year. Started out at 38% in January, up to 97% in July, and now back to 79% as of the 30th but bet it’s higher now. The staff had bets on if it would spill over last year but I don’t think they actually let it get there. It was very close though. As for the lakes ever getting full again, I’m in the camp of the shaky dam theory but the cynic in me says there’s more money to be made with the drought narrative.
Queue
Angler

Post by Queue »

meisner wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:16 am
camobass wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:15 am They have been releasing water steady. The level is down but still back by the honor camp. I don’t think they will ever let any lakes, at least in east county ever fill back up unfortunately.
Why is that?
Dams are made to collect the free water that falls out of the sky. Water Districts want to sell as much of the free water they can over selling the imported water they have to pay for (larger profit margin). Lakes higher up in the watershed will be drained to minimum pool to maximize collection of the free water, Barrett being one of those lakes.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Queue wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 am
meisner wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:16 am
Why is that?
Dams are made to collect the free water that falls out of the sky. Water Districts want to sell as much of the free water they can over selling the imported water they have to pay for (larger profit margin). Lakes higher up in the watershed will be drained to minimum pool to maximize collection of the free water, Barrett being one of those lakes.
Come @Queue , there’s no such thing as free
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Was 79% full a month ago, reads 85% now.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Just posted as well. Flyover 3-22. Looks close to full. About 89% according to City.
Attachments
IMG_4368.jpeg
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

There are some small lakes to the north of Barrett off Skye Valley Road, also in the photo. I am assuming these are on private property and not in Cleveland National Forest. Anyone know anything about them?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barre ... ?entry=ttu
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Gotfish? wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:02 pm There are some small lakes to the north of Barrett off Skye Valley Road, also in the photo. I am assuming these are on private property and not in Cleveland National Forest. Anyone know anything about them?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barre ... ?entry=ttu
Nothing really specific here. But I do know that the small lakes in that very area on private land are loaded with bass. Talked to a counselor at the Campo rehab facility that fished them with permission from the owners. I could see in his eyes he didn’t want to reveal just how good they are 😉
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Those small lakes are on a private ranch. Sky valley Ranch. I’m close with the owners. Not a place you wanna go sneaking around in. They are their own sheriff.That’s why I post a lot of Barrett pics from the honor camp side because that’s part of their driveway