Tarpon on the fly in Belize

For all fly fishing related discussions - tackle, locations, fly tying, and reports from everywhere and anywhere.
Titos334
Angler

Tarpon on the fly in Belize

Post by Titos334 »

Went on a vacation to Belize. Wasn't a fishing trip but hired a guide for a half-day morning trip on of the days we were staying at one of the Cayes. I didn't plan on fly fishing but the guide had two rods rigged up and one of the spots we stopped at had Tarpon swimming around. They didn't like the conventional gear so gave the fly a chance and despite my less than stellar fly casting it took a swimming shrimp/fly pattern. Saw it eat the fly and with a hard set it was on and jumping away! Not that long of a fight but it was exhilarating and unexpected. Belize was an amazing country and the taste of fishing I got would make it seem like a world-class inshore fishery.

Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Tarpon on the fly in Belize

Post by Neuroshima »

Haha, what most fly anglers dream of and plan a life-time around, you did in a spur of the moment. Congrats on the catch!
Titos334
Angler

Post by Titos334 »

Neuroshima wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:56 am Haha, what most fly anglers dream of and plan a life-time around, you did in a spur of the moment. Congrats on the catch!
Haha pretty much! I guess thats how it goes in fishing sometimes. First time saltwater fly fishing too, I'll take whatever beginners luck I can get. Thank you!!
galen
Pro Angler

Post by galen »

Great looking fish, and on the fly rod! Were there snook in the area?
Titos334
Angler

Post by Titos334 »

galen wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:09 pm Great looking fish, and on the fly rod! Were there snook in the area?
I think they’re in the river that’s not too far from where I was. I did catch some bonefish at a different spot on conventional just jig head tipped with shrimp they were very willing to bite