Bishop Area Report

For all fly fishing related discussions - tackle, locations, fly tying, and reports from everywhere and anywhere.
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Bishop Area Report

Post by mcquade outdoors »

Fished the thanksgiving weekend for trout in Hot Creek Canyon and Bishop Creek Canal between climbing sessions

!Warning: im not good at fly fishing!

Hot Creek Canyon
Fished with a bead headed flashback with a midge below (size 18/20) and got 1 hit. I didn't have much space to fish as there was a group above and below me in the canyon (very popular location that day, and sometimes always). The fish were very skittish but there was a hatch around 1pm and ~2pm and the trout were jumping out to get them. I got 1 hit on the dry fly (wasn't really ready for it and the hatch lasts for ~15 minutes and its done)

Bishop Creek Canal
I fished it from where it starts at the lower owens down past the ford dealer. All my fish were near the ford dealership but did see fish further down the canal and did head of some fish on the connection to the lower owens section. All my fish were landed on 14/16 beach headed flash backs and nymphs in green/gold. The fish were spooky, and it worked best to creep up and sit down while casting. I saw a few people euro nymphing right in front of the fish and they weren't getting the bites.

Joshmo62
Angler

Re: Bishop Area Report

Post by Joshmo62 »

Cool report, I love visiting Bishop on fishing trips. Too bad the Lower Owens is running so high because that would have been another good option…. Maybe next year the flows will be better.
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Post by mcquade outdoors »

Joshmo62 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:20 pm Cool report, I love visiting Bishop on fishing trips. Too bad the Lower Owens is running so high because that would have been another good option…. Maybe next year the flows will be better.
Ya the water was ripping in there! Checked it 1 day just to see it. Road on the way in was flooded a bit too.
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

I lived in Bishop for around 25 years, that canal flowed right behind CalTrans. Used to fish it on a regular basis on my lunch break, thanks for the memories