How to spot misinformation

Discussions not related to fishing.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

How to spot misinformation

Post by Gotfish? »

Considering all the misinformation that is posted in the Lounge, see some tips for identifying such: https://www.verywellhealth.com/signs-of ... kery-49505

Focused on medical misinformation but principles broadly apply. Undoubtedly won't persuade some folks who prefer to believe some dude they don't know on You Tube telling them what they want to hear though.

From the above link:

Medical quacks will often omit medical references from their research or provide dodgy ones with no means to access actual reports (for example, by listing New England Journal of Medicine, 2014 and nothing else).

Another trick readily employed by quacks is single-source references, meaning a list of studies generated by a single person or entity. Oftentimes these are done by the very individuals selling a product, or by a corporate entity that has not properly disclosed their connection to the research.

That's not saying that every product or supplement you come across needs an encyclopedic list of references in order for them to be considered real. But if ever faced with a medical claim that seems too good to be true, ask yourself: where is the real evidence?

It's your choice to be a sucker or not.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: How to spot misinformation

Post by camobass »

You’re spreading enough misinformation as the rest of them. Believing some dude on fact check .org, cnn…who has your best interest in mind. Who’s the sucker? Gotlinks?

https://www.wikihow.com/Not-Be-Gullible
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

as I mentioned in a prior thread...mis-information wasnt even a word prior to the covid BS

tho the most gulibles swallowed this "term" hook line n sinker and also latched onto "fact" checking

cant wait to see a "fact" check on this from one of his left wing websites
HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

does anyone remember

the tape that was put down on the floors 6 foot apart to save us...ya know...social distancing and all...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

the arrows in the aisles to make us go one way...ya know to save us...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

the plastic that was put up so the cashier who stood on the other side yet who touched every damn item...would save us...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

ya had to wear a mask until you sat down at your table to eat or drink...then it was safe to take off mask...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

one of my favorites...on the west coast ya couldnt stand on the dry sand, but could stand on the wet sand...now on the east coast it was just the opposite...now that my friends IS "science"

there is one person here who actually defended each of these positions...and had "fact" checks to prove it !!!

hilarious...

come on...what are some of the other "great" rules of "science" that we pretended would work?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Soros coined disinformation and is behind the fact checkers. Very successful in Europe.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

HookEmDanO wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:29 pm does anyone remember

the tape that was put down on the floors 6 foot apart to save us...ya know...social distancing and all...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

the arrows in the aisles to make us go one way...ya know to save us...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

the plastic that was put up so the cashier who stood on the other side yet who touched every damn item...would save us...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

ya had to wear a mask until you sat down at your table to eat or drink...then it was safe to take off mask...would love to see all those "science" papers on how they came up with 6 foot...do I sense a link a comin ?

one of my favorites...on the west coast ya couldnt stand on the dry sand, but could stand on the wet sand...now on the east coast it was just the opposite...now that my friends IS "science"

there is one person here who actually defended each of these positions...and had "fact" checks to prove it !!!

hilarious...

come on...what are some of the other "great" rules of "science" that we pretended would work?
Unrelated topic but these same scientists and their followers believe the biggest scientific theory of all time, that Everything came from nothing, which is scientifically impossible.

One of the biggest problems today is people push theories as facts and then enforce them on people.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

camobass wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:02 pm You’re spreading enough misinformation as the rest of them. Believing some dude on fact check .org, cnn…who has your best interest in mind. Who’s the sucker? Gotlinks?

https://www.wikihow.com/Not-Be-Gullible
So you still can't post one example of misinformation I have posted? Just generalities?
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

camobass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:33 am

hilarious...

Unrelated topic but these same scientists and their followers believe the biggest scientific theory of all time, that Everything came from nothing, which is scientifically impossible.

One of the biggest problems today is people push theories as facts and then enforce them on people.
So where did God come from? From nothing? Not supposed to talk about religion here though but you brought it up. Or do you make an exception for just that one case?
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Clearly way above the level of some in the Lounge but here it is:

https://www.openculture.com/2016/04/car ... nking.html

A good intro to critical thinking, sadly lacking in the Lounge. Got baloney?
HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

Gotfish? wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:46 pm
It's your choice to be a sucker or not
look...you have made it very very clear over and over which you have chosen
HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:19 pm Clearly way above the level of some in the Lounge but here it is:

https://www.openculture.com/2016/04/car ... nking.html

A good intro to critical thinking, sadly lacking in the Lounge. Got baloney?
you..."critical" thinking ? STOP you are killin me
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:12 pm
camobass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:33 am

hilarious...

So where did God come from? From nothing? Not supposed to talk about religion here though but you brought it up. Or do you make an exception for just that one case?
I’m talking about science, you’re the one talking about religion….hence, you’re breaking the rules you so strictly adhere to.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Your quotes in your first post are already proof of bias. Calling a dr who disagrees a quack vs saying something along the lines of “one side, or the other side” or dr A vs dr B. Very, very professional write up. HA! Misinformation and fact checking issues in a nutshell right there. I tried to give you a neutral link from that all sides site to show the bias. If a journalist is hell bent (don’t worry, not being religious) on going after someone, they will scrutinize any and all things. If the person or subject is on the side of the author or factchecker’s worldview, they will hardly check anything. I’m sure A.I. will start sucking you in, hook line and sinker.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Ps, you should move this topic to your tip of day thread…even though that day turns into “tip of the week”, tip of the month, tip of the once in a blue moon. This is a way better tip than all those others. Spotting misinformation, it will definitely help people catch more fish.
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

How to spot misinformation: Post articles from your favorite point of view and keep arguing your point until you get to call the opposing side a name. Don't give up. You'll convince the other side eventually and then you'll win. This is the way mainstream media works. I hope this has cleared up any confusion.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

camobass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:00 pm Ps, you should move this topic to your tip of day thread…even though that day turns into “tip of the week”, tip of the month, tip of the once in a blue moon. This is a way better tip than all those others. Spotting misinformation, it will definitely help people catch more fish.
Apparently you do not understand the policy of the site. "Tip of the day" is in general fishing as it is only fishing related. This thread is mainly aimed at helping people identify misinformation posted in the Lounge with the Ivermectin thread being a classic example. Admittedly, the critical thinking tips might prevent one from buying "seen on TV" and similar "wonder" products but that is a side benefit.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Euripides
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

:D
HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

capture.jpg