Do fish even care?

Discussions about pouring your own plastics, modifying or painting lures, and even carving your own swimbaits.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Do fish even care?

Post by Carpkiller »

Saturday I was using a sorta leftover goofed-up lure. Was supposed to be two tone green/chartreuse, but the green layer came out too thick and not opaque...hard to see the 3D eyes glaring through.
20231028_112859[1].jpg

Apparently this fish didn't mind.
20231028_084240[1].jpg
Was dunking the lure alongside a piling in the marina straight across from the beach at Spanish Landing...looking for spotties.

24 inches when it settled down enough to be measured.

In my top three halibut ever landed on the float tube. Second-biggest on my homemade lures.

And, yeah, tasty.

Spent waay too much time kicking around the area, and up into the channel at Liberty Station. Six spotties, one tiny sand bass.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Re: Do fish even care?

Post by Gotfish? »

My theory is that the secret to catching halibut is to drop the bait on their nose. As long as you do that, anything works. Has to be boring to just lie there on the bottom all day waiting for something to eat instead of chasing it down like a respectable fish. A real dead beat of a fish, even if tasty.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Ugly or not, the green/chartreuse tube got 7 of the 8 fish landed Saturday; a red ScorcherZ got the other fish.
Didn't hook anything on a Kroc, various grubs on a slider head, a small mackerel colored sinking plug, or any of the different-colored 3" swimbaits on a ned head.
But the weather was great, the water not too cold, and very light boat traffic. One of the paddleboarders I spoke with asked if there was some special event going on, as she'd ever seen it so un-busy on such a nice day. Maybe the boaters all saw the weather reports mentioning the possibility of a windy day....and opted for other entertainment.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
senkosam
Angler

Post by senkosam »

I realize the lure was a tube, but check out these creations that do great once I locate fish:

Note the no action-tail lures

shapes that do great

Eyes on a lure are way over rated as are color choices based on what a fish might think a lure represents. Lure action speaks loudest and the tube in your post has a back & forth waddle fish go for.
The color combo is one of my favorites.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Waaaay overrated…that’s a monster senkosam!
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
senkosam
Angler

Post by senkosam »

camobass wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:55 pm Waaaay overrated…that’s a monster senkosam!
You should see the ones that got away! ;)