Cuyamaca State Park Fishing

Trout fishing in the local lakes and streams.
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Cuyamaca State Park Fishing

Post by HK_Supermarket »

Is it legal to fish the streams around Cuyamaca state park? Was thinking about doing some camping/hiking around there this winter.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Re: Cuyamaca State Park Fishing

Post by Gotfish? »

Sure, assuming you have a fishing license.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Yes. They used to be loaded back in the day with big rainbows but I’m 99% sure they haven’t stocked them in many, many years. This was back in 80’s and 90’s. There could be some epic fishing in sweetwater “river”. You might be able to catch some bullhead cats in the deep pools still.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Post by HK_Supermarket »

camobass wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:16 pm Yes. They used to be loaded back in the day with big rainbows but I’m 99% sure they haven’t stocked them in many, many years. This was back in 80’s and 90’s. There could be some epic fishing in sweetwater “river”. You might be able to catch some bullhead cats in the deep pools still.
Darn, that sucks. I've been itching to try some stream/river fishing. I went to sierras this spring and had some good luck. But was hoping there'd be something a little more local I can drive out to more regularly. Google maps seems to show quite a few streams in the cuyamaca mountains it's a shame if they don't hold fish anymore. Is it because the streams run dry nowadays?
Zach
Angler

Post by Zach »

A few years back I saw some people pull out trout from Sweet Water River in the Green Valley area, so they're out there. Just need to find the right pool. Not sure how much water is running through it right now. I'm planning for some camping as Paso the week after next. If Green Valley is open I'll swing by and check the levels.
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Post by HK_Supermarket »

Dang you're out camping everywhere. Any favorite day hikes out there? I hear a lot of recommendations for Green Valley falls.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Zach wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:07 am A few years back I saw some people pull out trout from Sweet Water River in the Green Valley area, so they're out there. Just need to find the right pool. Not sure how much water is running through it right now. I'm planning for some camping as Paso the week after next. If Green Valley is open I'll swing by and check the levels.
That’s great to hear. Dfg used to stock sweetwater by camp cuyamaca. When we would have some wet years, there would be some nice hold overs too. It was hands and knees, sneaking up to the holes in the brush. If you made any noise, broke a twig, you could watch all the trout head up stream and you were done. I used to fly line red worms into log jams and rock ledges. Almost every cast.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

camobass wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:30 pm
Zach wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:07 am A few years back I saw some people pull out trout from Sweet Water River in the Green Valley area, so they're out there. Just need to find the right pool. Not sure how much water is running through it right now. I'm planning for some camping as Paso the week after next. If Green Valley is open I'll swing by and check the levels.
That’s great to hear. Dfg used to stock sweetwater by camp cuyamaca. When we would have some wet years, there would be some nice hold overs too. It was hands and knees, sneaking up to the holes in the brush. If you made any noise, broke a twig, you could watch all the trout head up stream and you were done. I used to fly line red worms into log jams and rock ledges. Almost every cast.
You have to approach from downstream (sometimes easier said than done) since the trout are facing into the current. Sometimes more like stealth hunting than fishing. I have fished streams in the Eastern Sierras and it is all about not being noticed.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

HK_Supermarket wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:26 am Dang you're out camping everywhere. Any favorite day hikes out there? I hear a lot of recommendations for Green Valley falls.
Green Valley Falls area is nice since it is by running water. Stonewall Peak is nice too but stay away from the peak if it looks like a storm or your hair starts to rise. Great view from the top of Cuyamaca Peak but the main path is a paved road to the top. Lots of good areas for mountain biking.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sd ... story.html
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

I was mountain biking at Cuyamaca this morning so I decided to stop by Green Valley Falls. There's plenty of water in the creek and air temperature was >90F. The ranger said that the river is not stocked and most years there is not much flow this time of year. So I doubt you will catch much if any. Falls are nice to visit though if you have not been there.
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Post by HK_Supermarket »

Gotfish? wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:32 pm I was mountain biking at Cuyamaca this morning so I decided to stop by Green Valley Falls. There's plenty of water in the creek and air temperature was >90F. The ranger said that the river is not stocked and most years there is not much flow this time of year. So I doubt you will catch much if any. Falls are nice to visit though if you have not been there.
Thanks for the report. You're a beast for going biking during this heat wave this weekend though. :o
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Maybe this year with all the rain we got and how much it filled in Cuyamaca, perhaps the overflow pushed those fish down stream. Obviously if they tumbled down or landed in shallow pools they died or were eaten but you never know since it has been a relatively wet year
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Unfortunately the sweetwater river doesn’t get its flow from cuyamaca or over flow. It’s all spring and run runoff up there. It would have to be stocked
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

When the feeder creeks are flowing into the reservoir, the fish (quoting the late Hugh Marx) "think it's their job to swim upstream and spawn." That's a springtime thing, though. Those are dry gullies now. However, in the spring, you can fish the creeks for free (as long as you're outside the lake park boundaries). Or if you're heading up there anyway, buy a lake permit and hit the creeks as well.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

There's always something to see around that area. Take a camera; nice pics from the top of Stonewall Peak (on a clear day you can see Mt. San Jacinto). And just parking at Green Valley Falls offers some good wildlife options.....this was in February a few years back...
150228 3 turkeys sign crop.jpg
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Post by HK_Supermarket »

Carpkiller wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:17 pm When the feeder creeks are flowing into the reservoir, the fish (quoting the late Hugh Marx) "think it's their job to swim upstream and spawn." That's a springtime thing, though. Those are dry gullies now. However, in the spring, you can fish the creeks for free (as long as you're outside the lake park boundaries). Or if you're heading up there anyway, buy a lake permit and hit the creeks as well.
Yea that's the plan. Going to get a place near the lake and do some day hikes hopefully around some fishy creeks
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Post by HK_Supermarket »

Carpkiller wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:43 pm There's always something to see around that area. Take a camera; nice pics from the top of Stonewall Peak (on a clear day you can see Mt. San Jacinto). And just parking at Green Valley Falls offers some good wildlife options.....this was in February a few years back...

150228 3 turkeys sign crop.jpg
Looks like great place to visit for thanksgiving
Zach
Angler

Post by Zach »

I'll use alltrails for hikes. The area is ripe for day hiking.
https://www.alltrails.com/
monstahfish
Angler

Post by monstahfish »

I can confirm there was trout in one of the areas mentioned last fall. I can also confirm that area was full of poison oak which is enough to keep me from really going for it as I'm highly allergic and have to be super careful.
HK_Supermarket
Angler

Post by HK_Supermarket »

monstahfish wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:16 pm I can confirm there was trout in one of the areas mentioned last fall. I can also confirm that area was full of poison oak which is enough to keep me from really going for it as I'm highly allergic and have to be super careful.
good to note, I should probably study up my botany in case I run into any of that