Barrett report September 29th

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report September 29th

Post by Early release »

Got out about 0530 on the water, air temp was about 60 F, and water was 70.5F. I was a little worried that the cold front was already here and would make today a dud. Went over by Wilson's creek and followed the shoreline along with the popper. Picked up several bass and whenever I would hear a kiss on the popper without a hookup, I threw the #5 rapala on a light rod. Usually I would get rewarded with a bluegill, but sometimes it was an angry smaller bass. Kind of counted 8 bass, there were more, but at some point you have to say that didn't count. But had a good time with the Barrett bluegills. So then I decided it was time to get back in Hauser and do some serious bass work. Trolling along with a small sample size crankbait netted me a large crappie, that weighed in at 1 pound 8 ounces, so at that point, I was thrilled with catching all three fish and that's a nice crappie. Saw Jwall and Dan along the way and we chatted a bit and John's catch of the day is posted in his report. :)

Kept going to the bay in Hauser and found the busters. You had to be right on them and if you were, it was better if you were throwing something smaller. The #7 Rapala and X75 Megabass were the favorites for me there. Didn't get too many though, but had a lot of fun chasing.

Decided to head back because the wind and the clouds were looking like they had a plan to rain. Wind came up and was probably 10-15 Kts. I was almost at pigs point and then it happened, there were busters in the cove by pigs. The wind also died down and it was pretty calm. You had to be on them when they came up and they were good quality, best fish was 3 lbs 8 ounces, average was 2 pounds 6 ounces. I got them on a mix of the beloved #7 Rapala and the Zara Spook stickbait I use.

I caught nothing at all on the flukes or underspins. I also threw a kastmaster for a while and couldn't connect, and a tailspinner that I honestly wanted to be the success story of the day because it looked so good fluttering down.

That's it for 2023, great to see all of you I met out there and I'm looking forward to next season and us all having fun on that amazing lake. Also thanks to Jose and Laurie for always being there and making sure everything is in place for us to do what we love.
That's a good crappie
That's a good crappie
The big fish of my day
The big fish of my day
It's a threefer
It's a threefer
See you next year, when you are bigger
See you next year, when you are bigger
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Barrett report September 29th

Post by JWall »

Hey you might have me on that catch of the day!! 😂😉

Seriously…we had to leave early but saw you all on the busters by Pigs. And the calming wind. Oh well, next year is going to be awesome!!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

That little guy was the last fish of the 2023 Barrett season for me. I hope it's not a sign for next year. :)

Those busters in pigs were a great surprise and the best close to a fun season. See you on San V.
Ryan2421
Angler

Post by Ryan2421 »

Nice meeting you out there brother. That was quite the finish right next to pigs. Thanks for all the tips. I’ll see you out there next season
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hey Ryan,

That was a great season ender. Good to meet you also.