Quick (and late) report from 9/23

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Shawnster
Angler

Quick (and late) report from 9/23

Post by Shawnster »

Me and my boys were lucky enough to get back out there Saturday for one last go of the season. We did pretty good by our standards, but the fishing was much different (harder) than last weekend when they were practically jumping into the boat.

We were on the water by 6:30, fished for 12 hours, and landed 20 fish. 14 of those were bass, two fairly solid, but most were only between 1 and 2 pounds. The rest were feisty Bluegill. Oh, and me and my youngest boy doubled up on bass again which was cool.

Our “go-to” lures (stickbaits, crankbaits, solo swim baits) weren’t generating any interest and our go-to spots weren’t happening. We landed 5 at the mouth of Echo Cove with no other action for us around Hauser. There seemed to be a lot of folks on the lake (relatively speaking), but many seemed to leave Hauser around 11.

We caught a couple more on the “outskirts” of Pine Creek (just before going into the narrow cove on the right). After that point we were just tooling around having fun and exploring — we all switched to really light tackle and not-built-for-bass lures and flies to mix things up.

We caught the rest of our haul in places we didn’t expect and on lures we didn’t think would work. In the middle of the pine creek arm in about 15 feet of water with no cover, in small coves by desolation point, on a steelhead streamer, on a trout nymph, on a 50 year old Mepps #5 trout lure…

Before that, we did catch one lucky bass on a cherished whopper plopper (cherished for that oh-so-satisfying sound and previous Barrett success), and Bluegill liked the trout presentations as well. However, except for the new-to-me Alabama rig, no other bass lure was generating strikes.

Side note: there’s something about the A rig that almost feels like cheating to me. And while I love catching fish, the rig’s heft and almost “sure thing” confidence takes away some of the nuances of fishing for me. Love/hate at the moment.

Hope ya’ll enjoy your last few days of the season out there! This has been my first season at Barrett, and my first season’s end. I’m not ready to say goodbye! (I’m not crying you’re crying!) :twisted:
Attachments
IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1932.jpeg
IMG_1930.jpeg
IMG_1928.jpeg
IMG_1931.jpeg
IMG_1934.jpeg
Last edited by Shawnster on Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Quick (and late) report from 9/23

Post by JWall »

Great pictures as usual! Yes, things are changing almost by the day out there now but your Saturday sounded very similar to our Sunday. One of the beauties of Barrett is it almost always rewards a new lure or presentation. It gives you some reward for those unused lures in your tacklebox lol. One last day for us this Saturday then the long wait for May!!
Shawnster
Angler

Re: Quick (and late) report from 9/23

Post by Shawnster »

I do like the lake’s encouragement to get you to try lots of new approaches! Best of luck this Saturday. Looking forward to hearing what the last day was like!