Page 3 of 3

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2025 7:08 am
by Gotfish?
Like exposed hook underspins but don't like how they snag easily? Have a bunch of old underspins already? Add a jig spinner for more flash and weedless performance. Has worked well at Barrett for largemouth and San Diego Bay for spotties.

You could buy https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flatlan ... aAQAvD_BwE or just make your own as described above. In my case, I already had some old Roadrunner underspins and a few jig spinners so I gave it a try. For the tail, I used a 2.5" Z-man swimbait tail (Slim Swimz) secured with a dab of superglue. Casts further than a spinner bait of the same weight due to not having a silicone skirt.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2025 7:43 am
by Gotfish?
Anyone else get an itchy rash in the ankle area from long float tube days? The only thing I found to prevent it is a stiff beeswax product such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UIUGVE?re ... in_title_1 . Bike chamois lube, petroleum jelly, anti-chafe balm and body glide all helped but not enough. I also wear low friction socks such as Wright double layer socks.

I have not tried putting bread sacks over socks, that might work too. The beeswax also works if you get chafing on the bottom of the thighs.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2025 12:09 pm
by kirkboat
corn starch.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2025 3:33 pm
by Gotfish?
kirkboat wrote: Sun Oct 05, 2025 12:09 pmcorn starch.
Not sure if that would work as the feet and socks are usually quite damp or even wet after hours in the float tube, either from sweat or microleaks.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 7:05 am
by Gotfish?
Some things I do with my rods:
1. Add heat shrink tubing around the tip to prevent tangles. Get some just big enough to slip past the tip and apply heat to shrink it over any edges that catch the line. You could also replace the tip with something like https://www.amazon.com/LINGUANG-Profile ... 9hdGY&th=1 but the heat shrink tubing works very well, maybe even better.
2. Add a fore grip. Many bait casting rods do not have foregrips as they intend you to palm the reel. But holding by the foregrip is better for fighting fish and better for feeling the line between the thumb and forefinger to detect bites. I use bicycle handlebar tape and vinyl electrical tape for this.
3. Once the foregrip is added, you will need to add a hook holder to replace the one that is covered up. I prefer the dropshot style, even to the point of putting it on rods that already have a foregrip but don't have that style of holder. That style is nice for Texas rigged baits too. I just use nylon sewing thread and clear nail polish to put in on. https://mudhole.com/products/dropshot-h ... YFRPrIVTjA

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Mon May 11, 2026 4:48 pm
by Gotfish?
My new favorite toy is a thread burner. Works better than scissors for cutting braid and better than specialty glue for fixing soft plastics. No fraying on cut braid either. Works for cutting thread too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093QQ3M5J?re ... asin_title Many other similar brands available.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Mon May 11, 2026 5:55 pm
by Midnightpass
Gotfish? wrote: Mon May 11, 2026 4:48 pm My new favorite toy is a thread burner. Works better than scissors for cutting braid and better than specialty glue for fixing soft plastics. No fraying on cut braid either. Works for cutting thread too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093QQ3M5J?re ... asin_title Many other similar brands available.
I like it… Great idea…
Butch

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Fri May 15, 2026 9:18 am
by Bendo
I run two Checklists. One for making sure I have everything I need to go fishing, the other is for everything I need to launch the Boat,Kayak,Tube. Saved me many times.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Fri May 15, 2026 12:56 pm
by Gotfish?
Bendo wrote: Fri May 15, 2026 9:18 am I run two Checklists. One for making sure I have everything I need to go fishing, the other is for everything I need to launch the Boat,Kayak,Tube. Saved me many times.
I went to Lower Otay early one morning, put the waders on and the tube in the water. Then realized I left the fins at home. I have used a checklist since then.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sat May 16, 2026 7:40 am
by vito1023
VinnyBass wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:37 pm Of course all of us have lots and lots of tips but one of the tips that just comes to mind is something my father taught me years ago when I was young.
Before each fishing trip, he taught me to always cut about a foot or so off the line and retie whatever you had previously had tied on your line. He said that rocks and things on the bottom, especially when you worm fish, scratch and cut into the line so it is more likely to break when you set the hook or try to reel in a fish. I actually pull out a number of rods the night before I go fishing and always cut back and retie everything. It is just become a habit and especially on the rods I use more often. Even on my flippin' rods(but not as often as I should) I cut and retie because I use straight braid tied to a jig or Tokyo rig, for example and that line takes a beating throwing baits all the time in cover. I fish pretty often and I rather a fish break the line naturally rather than because I was too lazy to cut the line back a little and retie.
Do you use braid all the time or just when flipping or do you use a leader with flouro or mono?

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sat May 16, 2026 8:10 am
by VinnyBass
vito1023 wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 7:40 am
VinnyBass wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:37 pm Of course all of us have lots and lots of tips but one of the tips that just comes to mind is something my father taught me years ago when I was young.
Before each fishing trip, he taught me to always cut about a foot or so off the line and retie whatever you had previously had tied on your line. He said that rocks and things on the bottom, especially when you worm fish, scratch and cut into the line so it is more likely to break when you set the hook or try to reel in a fish. I actually pull out a number of rods the night before I go fishing and always cut back and retie everything. It is just become a habit and especially on the rods I use more often. Even on my flippin' rods(but not as often as I should) I cut and retie because I use straight braid tied to a jig or Tokyo rig, for example and that line takes a beating throwing baits all the time in cover. I fish pretty often and I rather a fish break the line naturally rather than because I was too lazy to cut the line back a little and retie.
Do you use braid all the time or just when flipping or do you use a leader with flouro or mono?
I found that it’s a lot better for me to use just straight braid. I mean if you’re using 30 pound braid and you’re using a 10 pound leader and the leader snaps, you lose a fish that you probably would’ve caught if you didn’t have a leader.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sat May 16, 2026 8:28 am
by Midnightpass
Bendo wrote: Fri May 15, 2026 9:18 am I run two Checklists. One for making sure I have everything I need to go fishing, the other is for everything I need to launch the Boat,Kayak,Tube. Saved me many times.
I have a different check list for about every kind of trip I do... Morning surf fishing, camping, road or air flight trip... It's on an Excel spreadsheet, and gets updated most every trip... Maybe, except, the morning surf fishing trip, that doesn't vary much... I print it, then I just scratch off what isn't applicable that particular trip.. If it's not on the list I WILL forget it...
Butch

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun May 17, 2026 3:50 pm
by vito1023
VinnyBass wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 8:10 am
vito1023 wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 7:40 am
VinnyBass wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:37 pm Of course all of us have lots and lots of tips but one of the tips that just comes to mind is something my father taught me years ago when I was young.
Before each fishing trip, he taught me to always cut about a foot or so off the line and retie whatever you had previously had tied on your line. He said that rocks and things on the bottom, especially when you worm fish, scratch and cut into the line so it is more likely to break when you set the hook or try to reel in a fish. I actually pull out a number of rods the night before I go fishing and always cut back and retie everything. It is just become a habit and especially on the rods I use more often. Even on my flippin' rods(but not as often as I should) I cut and retie because I use straight braid tied to a jig or Tokyo rig, for example and that line takes a beating throwing baits all the time in cover. I fish pretty often and I rather a fish break the line naturally rather than because I was too lazy to cut the line back a little and retie.
Do you use braid all the time or just when flipping or do you use a leader with flouro or mono?
I found that it’s a lot better for me to use just straight braid. I mean if you’re using 30 pound braid and you’re using a 10 pound leader and the leader snaps, you lose a fish that you probably would’ve caught if you didn’t have a leader.
So do you use straight braid for say worm, jerk and spinner fishing, I’ve been using straight braid and been experimenting for a while and I have caught some spotties and largemouths but I keep wondering if I would be catching more using a leader?

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun May 17, 2026 3:59 pm
by VinnyBass
vito1023 wrote: Sun May 17, 2026 3:50 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 8:10 am
vito1023 wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 7:40 am
VinnyBass wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:37 pm Of course all of us have lots and lots of tips but one of the tips that just comes to mind is something my father taught me years ago when I was young.
Before each fishing trip, he taught me to always cut about a foot or so off the line and retie whatever you had previously had tied on your line. He said that rocks and things on the bottom, especially when you worm fish, scratch and cut into the line so it is more likely to break when you set the hook or try to reel in a fish. I actually pull out a number of rods the night before I go fishing and always cut back and retie everything. It is just become a habit and especially on the rods I use more often. Even on my flippin' rods(but not as often as I should) I cut and retie because I use straight braid tied to a jig or Tokyo rig, for example and that line takes a beating throwing baits all the time in cover. I fish pretty often and I rather a fish break the line naturally rather than because I was too lazy to cut the line back a little and retie.
Do you use braid all the time or just when flipping or do you use a leader with flouro or mono?
I found that it’s a lot better for me to use just straight braid. I mean if you’re using 30 pound braid and you’re using a 10 pound leader and the leader snaps, you lose a fish that you probably would’ve caught if you didn’t have a leader.
So do you use straight braid for say worm, jerk and spinner fishing, I’ve been using straight braid and been experimenting for a while and I have caught some spotties and largemouths but I keep wondering if I would be catching more using a leader?
Let me clarify this once more. When I am flipping, I use straight braid. That means if I’m flipping a plastic worm or a plastic creature bait or a plastic crawfish bait. And yes, at times I might use braid to throw a spinner bait or a crank bait. So in other words, I use straight braid in conditions where there’s a lot of structure or stickups or things were normal line might break. If you’re gonna be fishing in cleaner waters like Lake Jennings, Miramar, Poway for example, I would not probably be using straight braid. But I have plenty of other fishing rods to take when I go to those lakes that have mono or fluorocarbon on them. So yes, a lot of people just put a mono leader on the braid, but I don’t do it because I have other rods I could just use. So if you’re fishing and conditions where the water is pretty clear, a leader with fluocarbon or mono
may work better for you. I decide what rods are equipped with what line to take based on what Lake or where I’m gonna be fishing.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun May 17, 2026 4:59 pm
by Gotfish?
For flipping in heavy cover, straight braid is OK since it will be a reaction bite. If you are using light braid on a spinning reel for long casting distance for a finesse lure, a fluorocarbon leader is a good idea. Not only is the leader less visible but it is much more abrasion resistant than braid of the same test.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Sun May 17, 2026 6:44 pm
by Gotfish?
For flipping in heavy cover, straight heavy braid is OK since it will be a reaction bite. If you are using light braid on a spinning reel for long casting distance for a finesse lure, a fluorocarbon leader is a very good idea. Not only is a fluorocarbon leader less visible but it is much more abrasion resistant than braid of the same test.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 7:05 am
by vito1023
VinnyBass wrote: Sun May 17, 2026 3:59 pm
vito1023 wrote: Sun May 17, 2026 3:50 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 8:10 am
vito1023 wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 7:40 am

Do you use braid all the time or just when flipping or do you use a leader with flouro or mono?
I found that it’s a lot better for me to use just straight braid. I mean if you’re using 30 pound braid and you’re using a 10 pound leader and the leader snaps, you lose a fish that you probably would’ve caught if you didn’t have a leader.
So do you use straight braid for say worm, jerk and spinner fishing, I’ve been using straight braid and been experimenting for a while and I have caught some spotties and largemouths but I keep wondering if I would be catching more using a leader?
Let me clarify this once more. When I am flipping, I use straight braid. That means if I’m flipping a plastic worm or a plastic creature bait or a plastic crawfish bait. And yes, at times I might use braid to throw a spinner bait or a crank bait. So in other words, I use straight braid in conditions where there’s a lot of structure or stickups or things were normal line might break. If you’re gonna be fishing in cleaner waters like Lake Jennings, Miramar, Poway for example, I would not probably be using straight braid. But I have plenty of other fishing rods to take when I go to those lakes that have mono or fluorocarbon on them. So yes, a lot of people just put a mono leader on the braid, but I don’t do it because I have other rods I could just use. So if you’re fishing and conditions where the water is pretty clear, a leader with fluocarbon or mono
may work better for you. I decide what rods are equipped with what line to take based on what Lake or where I’m gonna be fishing.
Thanks for the clearing that up for me, that’s what I was looking for.

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 2:23 pm
by Fisheromen
[/quote]
I went to Lower Otay early one morning, put the waders on and the tube in the water. Then realized I left the fins at home. I have used a checklist since then.
[/quote]
Done that! tubes go nowhere without fins!

Re: Tip of the day

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2026 5:05 pm
by Gotfish?
How to detect leaks in your float tube bladder (or inflatable pool toy, air mattress, etc.):

Pump tube up. Mix up a solution of leak detection fluid (https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+lea ... b&ie=UTF-8 ) and spray all over the tube to find the leak. A steady or slow stream of bubbles will come out of the leak. If you still don't see the leak, then one of the following may be happening:
1. Not enough pressure to cause a significant leak. Pump up harder.
2. Leaks around a seam, these are hard to see. Spray more there and look harder for bubbles at the seams.
3. Leak around the valve, also hard to see. Spray more in that area and look again.
4. A leak that only happens when the bladder is in the tube. Seems unlikely.