Inflator recommendations

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Inflator recommendations

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

My tube is an Outcast Prowler. I have a dual action hand pump that works fine for inflation - but looking for something I can plug into my car’s 12V lighter for a quick inflate. So far I’ve tried a couple cordless models, and a DeWalt that works great with my brother’s Fish Cat 5 but won’t inflate my prowler. I see outcast makes one but it connects to a battery with clamps rather than plugging into either a 12V cigarette lighter or AC power.

The valve type on my Prowler is the Summit2. https://www.outcastboats.com/product/inflation-valves/

Thanks!
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Re: Inflator recommendations

Post by Gotfish? »

If you really like the Outcast one, just buy this and wire in place of the clamps. You will need 2 solderless connectors from the hardware store too. Or you can just clip on the leads with the clamps but make sure the clamps can't touch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RB ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought one a few years ago to replace a broken one on a car tire inflater.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Gotfish? wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:57 pm If you really like the Outcast one, just buy this and wire in place of the clamps. You will need 2 solderless connectors from the hardware store too. Or you can just clip on the leads with the clamps but make sure the clamps can't touch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RB ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought one a few years ago to replace a broken one on a car tire inflater.
The outcast one is supposed to work with my tube is the thing, so if I can find a way to hook it up to 12V or AC that’s ideal
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Pumping is great exercise, it’s part of the initiation process. You can’t get too bouji for your first rig haha

You should see how fast I can pump my prowler on opening day at Barrett at zero dark 30
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
jmytuna
Angler

Post by jmytuna »

Hold the valve open
15 second fill with makita (low pressure/high volume)
Top off with hand pump

Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

camobass wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:19 pm Pumping is great exercise, it’s part of the initiation process. You can’t get too bouji for your first rig haha

You should see how fast I can pump my prowler on opening day at Barrett at zero dark 30
It only takes me 15 (up & down) pumps per side to inflate my Cumberland.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

I can definitely pump manually, no problem. The biggest issue trying to use an electric pump so far has been the summit 2 valves on the prowler. Not sure why they take air from the hand pump and not from the electric one with the same coupled connection (my guess is the electric pump maybe doesn’t have enough pressure to get into the valve). Prowler has one big air cell for both pontoons and the seat bottom and back. It takes my fat @$$ about 20 minutes to inflate the tube right now.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

You can try and push the center lock down on the valve that release the air to deflate then hook up your electric pump. Once done, remove pump and twist the lock back closed. You’ll loose air quick but you can top off with the dual action. If I’m not mistaken, the twist lock fitting on the pump end may push the spring down on the valve on those fitting so it’s possible the adapter on the electric pump may not be pushing the flap open. I know on some of the zodiac skiffs that use the same valve, some pumps, we had to manually unlock the valve before hooking up the pump. Other pumps, we didn’t. Maybe that will help.

I won’t lie, I have manually pumped my tubes probably more than a thousand times in my life but I made an air compressor adapter for that valve and when I have the opportunity, I pump it with the compressor. The prowler can definitely be a bitch to hand pump. When I was a kid, we used to inflate our tubes by mouth. That was the worst.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Can you just partially deflate the tube so it doesn't take much time to re-inflate?

I bought something like this from Walmart years ago, fashioned an adaptor to mate with the float tube adaptor and it only takes a few minutes to inflate if I only partially deflate the tube:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-43 ... om=/search

Most people need the exercise anyway.