Any advice for Diamond Valley blue cats?

Fishing for blue catfish, channel catfish, and even flathead catfish.
AutoJonez
Angler

Any advice for Diamond Valley blue cats?

Post by AutoJonez »

Wanting to try fishing for blue cats on Diamond Valley but have a lot questions. Despite being from Oklahoma and having caught tons of channels, I've never caught a blue so I'm made it a new years resolution this year haha. Since I've had to adjust and learn new types of fishing for bass in SoCal, I'm assuming the same will go for catfishing.

In terms of gear, I have a couple medium-heavy Whisker Seeker rods, one with an Ambassduer 6500C and another with an Okuma Citrix. What lb-test line would yall recommend? I assume as light as possible, maybe 15 or 20? And what types of rig--carolina? weightless? I've heard that mackeral makes good cut bait, but any other recommendations?

In terms of locations at DV, any pointers on where to start in the coming weeks, or where to target in other parts of the year?

Will take any advice I can get. Thanks!
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Re: Any advice for Diamond Valley blue cats?

Post by OOlicon »

Like any large structure oriented fish, look for the deeper points and fish on the steep faces. Use big baits and tie good knots.
Queue
Angler

Post by Queue »

Throw an ika on the dams and catch flatheads. Hardest jig thump you'll ever get...gotta yank them out of the rocks once you get bit.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

I didn't even know DVL had blue cats. That's interesting.