SoBay Tube day...Okay....

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

SoBay Tube day...Okay....

Post by Carpkiller »

Fished with Gotfish in the South Bay.

I got 17 spotties and one corvina.

Pic for attention:
20240105_183458[1].jpg
The small greenish ScorcherZ tube baits got most of the fish, a few bit a texas-rigged powerbait grub in a candy corn color. Nothing on the bucktails, underspins, tailspins, Kroc spoon.

My life coach says to be ready for Big Mo. I wasn't.

Had a folding landing net with me, but the folding gizmo is jacked up and it won't unfold. Had I tried it at home, coulda brought a different net. So the legal hali that chomped on the little powerbait grub, and stayed hooked for several minutes while I fooled with the net...well, the fish stayed hooked right up until I threw the net aside and prepared to land the fish by hand....gone. But I did get it close enough to see it; not a giant, but 24 inches or so.

Hadn't been in the tube for a month, and there was a small spot where I got two or three bass and hooked the halibut. Must have been baitfish around...but I wore out my legs trying to stay in position to hit the magic zone. There was just enough wind and current to make it challenging..so it was kind of a fail.

Awesome weather, warm water, but only 2.57 FPH. (Fish per hour)
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Re: SoBay Tube day...Okay....

Post by vdisney »

"only 2.57 FPH. (Fish per hour)" Nothing wrong with those numbers