4/2-Murray...What the heck.

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

4/2-Murray...What the heck.

Post by VinnyBass »

Have not been to Murray for a while....so I figured...ah, what the heck.
The few times I have gone the last few months...just catching some small clones and dinks here and there so I have not posted any fish reports. I have enjoyed reading other fish reports and great so see guys posting a little more often. Most of my reports probably seem repetitious, but a buddy wondered why I am not posting so today I decided to post one.
I landed a few dinks using a small Ned head hook rigged with a 4"senko. Later I put on a 4" MM Roboworm using the same set-up and landed a micro bass in about 10' of water. It was sad.
Then I decided to fish deeper. Tried underspins for a bit and then started using spoons. I found bait baits but no takers. Then finally in about 30' of water a bass grabbed my spoon and I landed it and small shad were coming out her mouth, A little while later I had a bass on till he shook the spoon out on the first jump. I messed around a little bit more and bam!...I landed another bass that grabbed my spoon pretty close to the bottom in about 35' of water. Spooning for a bit was a lot of work but at least the bass were healthier. Anyway, It was a beautiful day and hopefully the warm weather will soon be on the way and the bass bite will heat up at Murray.
I know that McFish will no doubt tell me that if I just threw a 4" MM on drop shots I would have caught tons of bass....(but I like to be different...ha ha). Tight lines everyone. :-)

Murray april two.PNG
Murray spoon apr two.PNG
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Re: 4/2-Murray...What the heck.

Post by Mcfish »

If you would of dropshotted a 4" MM, you would of caught tons of bass.....! Spoon fish in April, don't they know they're suppose to be uptight and spawning? A strange year at Murray for sure!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Murray's water level last year dropped around the spawn time and fluctuated up and down several times. The lake's water level
has never been back to where it was originally at for several decades. There used to be deep water around the tulles and last
year the success rate flippin' the tulles was not even close to what it used to be. Sadly,I have been told that they are not going to
raise the water back to where it was in the past. Maybe one day they will, but I won't hold my breath.
So for now, I am just hoping some bigger bass will be on the chew soon and there will be a good topwater bite this summer.
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Way to get out there and get a few. The city screwing around the water levels has affected the fishing everywhere. Something tells me you’re going to hook on to a big one soon though. Me? Maybe Minnesota in June.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Big C wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:31 am Way to get out there and get a few. The city screwing around the water levels has affected the fishing everywhere. Something tells me you’re going to hook on to a big one soon though. Me? Maybe Minnesota in June.
Have to deal what is handed to us even though sometimes it sucks. Never can predict a big fish, but I will predict that you will be catching some fat healthy bass when you do your annual trip to Minnesota. Best wishes and Tight lines always. :-)
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Definitely worth the extra work! Nice