3/28-S.D. River..why not?

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

3/28-S.D. River..why not?

Post by VinnyBass »

McFish texted me this morning and wanted to know if I was fishing?
I said not today and after finishing my breakfast,I headed to the post office, then to the grocery store and after taking care of a few chores around the house, I kept thinking about McFishes' text and thought...... hey, why not?
So I took off for a quick session to the San Diego river. Water was still pretty high from the rains and very stained. After lots of flips, a nice bass hit my Tokyo rig with a crawfish trailer and was so bummed when she came unbuttoned just a few feet before I could land it. I figured that at least I had one, to try to make me feel better...ha ha I was not gonna be there too long so I switched trailer baits on my Tokyo rig number of times and decided to put on a medium sized brush hog. Got a tap right near some tulles, and this time I set the hook a lot harder and was able to land this bass
which made me feel a lot better.
Anyway.....one is always better than none and glad I got on the water for a few hours
thanks to McFish putting fishing in my head whenI had not planned to go. :-)
Brushhog sd river.PNG
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: 3/28-S.D. River..why not?

Post by JWall »

Dude you are throwing a hardware store out there!! Nice fat one too πŸ‘
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I usually just fish a Tokyo Rig with a crawfish trailer or a senko. After losing that bass on a Tokyo Rig with a crawfish trailer, I stuck
to it for a while with no other takers. Then I tried senkos in a few different colors as a trailer, then a 7" Roboworm and back to a
6" Roboworm. It was funny as I decided just for the heck of it to put on a brush hog which I have never tried as a Tokyo Rig trailer.
I was pretty lucky and maybe it will open up some more ideas of creature baits I could use in the future. :-)
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Its creature city for me tomorrow at El Cap. Jig n craw, fat ika, and a new one, a Yamatanuki.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Nice colors on this fish=)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

JWall wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm Its creature city for me tomorrow at El Cap. Jig n craw, fat ika, and a new one, a Yamatanuki.
What size Yamatanuki? The little 2.5” guys are great on a weedless Ned head and as a Jig trailer. The 3.5” size I think would fish terrific as a backglide like the Ika.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm
JWall wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm Its creature city for me tomorrow at El Cap. Jig n craw, fat ika, and a new one, a Yamatanuki.
What size Yamatanuki? The little 2.5” guys are great on a weedless Ned head and as a Jig trailer. The 3.5” size I think would fish terrific as a backglide like the Ika.
I bought the 2.5’s dark green/amber. It looks like a fat reaper altho not really fished the same. Planning to flyline them shallow and out. Might be better in the trees than my splitshot reaper rig. Less to get hung up.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Are you guys trying to make me go broke?
Talking about some cool bait that I’m gonna have to probably order some on tackle warehouse now that you are talking about it………ha ha :-)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

VinnyBass wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm
Are you guys trying to make me go broke?
Talking about some cool bait that I’m gonna have to probably order some on tackle warehouse now that you are talking about it………ha ha :-)
You know I’m eternally a bad influence on this! LOL
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Vinny, nice fish and it's always good to get out and any fish make a successful trip. Tight lines.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Of course, I will be doing something on top, or just below the surface to about 3 feet deep. Between us, we have the whole water column covered. :)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

JWall wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm
CorsoEnthusiast wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm
I bought the 2.5’s dark green/amber. It looks like a fat reaper altho not really fished the same. Planning to flyline them shallow and out. Might be better in the trees than my splitshot reaper rig. Less to get hung up.
Yeah. They’re heavily salted so they’ll sink pretty fast. I think flyline is a good move. Can rig it on an EWG forwards or backwards depending on the action you want.
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Nice job Vinny.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Big C wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 amNice job Vinny.
Thanks BigC.
The best thing about the river is there are no permits to buy. I do not go very often, but imagine each time I go
I am saving money. That saved money can go to buying "cool" new things like the Yamatanuki baits that JWall and
CorsoEnthusiast were talking about. I first better buy more storage bags and plastic containers as I already have
too many baits that cannot fit in the ones I have already.
My fishing buddy Joe once told me many, many years ago thatI need to buy another boat to tow behind my boat just to
carry all my extra tackle and baits........(he may have had a point). :-)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

VinnyBass wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am
Big C wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 amNice job Vinny.
Thanks BigC.
The best thing about the river is there are no permits to buy. I do not go very often, but imagine each time I go
I am saving money. That saved money can go to buying "cool" new things like the Yamatanuki baits that JWall and
CorsoEnthusiast were talking about. I first better buy more storage bags and plastic containers as I already have
too many baits that cannot fit in the ones I have already.
My fishing buddy Joe once told me many, many years ago thatI need to buy another boat to tow behind my boat just to
carry all my extra tackle and baits........(he may have had a point). :-)
Check out the Buzbe storage… their Kwik Cubes are awesome for storing bags of plastics, also waterproof so you can keep stuff you need to stay dry in one. I really like mine.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

JWall wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm Dude you are throwing a hardware store out there!! Nice fat one too πŸ‘
His garage looks like a Bass Pro Shop....
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Good job..you always figure out the puzzle!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Mcfish wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 pm
JWall wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm Dude you are throwing a hardware store out there!! Nice fat one too πŸ‘
I might be the only person here with worse Gear Acquisition Syndrome than Vinny :lol:
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 pm
Mcfish wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 pm
I might be the only person here with worse Gear Acquisition Syndrome than Vinny :lol:
Based on all the photos that you have send me, I can honestly say that you may have a worse
case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I have been jealous many times seeing some of the premium
baits and tackle that you have shared with me. I can safely say that I may have more total items,
but your tackle has far more net worth value than all of my tackle......ha ha
Not that there is anything wrong with that..... :-)