Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Post by Midnightpass »

Got out yesterday AM to Huntington Beach for a little chasing of fish... Just an absolute gorgeous day... Conditions were excellent, with cool clear water and sky... Small surf with a little current and no wind... Tides were a bit wonky though, and the fish didn't want much to do with me... I got 2-dink BSP, 1 nice 15" spotted bay bass and I got to tussle with a 2-1/2' butterfly ray... That was a handful, with a 4# leader with a knot in the middle of it... Yea, I know... I should have changed the leader if I knew there was a knot in it, but I got lazy.. :roll: The leader broke right after I took the pic... Anyway, fun day.. I bumped into and fished with an old fishing buddy, that I haven't seen in awhile... And met a newer fisherman and hung together for most of our fishing.. The bass and perch were caught on homemade, salted, freeze dried blood worms.. The ray was foul snagged with a perch grub..
IMG_6043cs.jpg
IMG_6049cs.jpg
Butch
maraxus
Angler

Re: Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Post by maraxus »

Nice session, thanks for posting!
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

Butterfly ray has no stinger right? So much nicer than the other two common kinds of rays!
Great session. I admire your skill reeling in that ray with a #4
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Zhao wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:44 pm I admire your skill reeling in that ray with a #4
I've never been accused of having any skill. :roll: ... I think it was the my wonderful rod... It has a very soft touch, and has saved me many times... What had me worried was the knot in the middle of the leader... I believe it usually halves the breaking strength of your line... That would have put the 4# down to about 2# or so... And it did break at the knot after the catch, while unhooking the ray... I can't believe it didn't break sooner... Just an amazing rod and a good drag on the Vanford reel...
Butch
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

No stinger on those. If you do hook one too deep and it looks like it's going to die, take it home. If you don't have the confidence to prepare it yourself, I know a Thai restaurant in the area that will prepare it for you for a cut of it.
I've also replicated the recipe myself, and it's a pretty good one.
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

As always Butch, good to see your name on a report
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Went out again on Friday for a little over a dozen BSP up to 12"... 1/2 & 1/2 dinks to decent sized.. Not as good conditions, but better fishing over all..
Butch
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Not worth a new report, but went out yesterday to the same area, for a big ol' fat skunk... Other than the low tide, things looked pretty good... Found a nice hole but it didn't really start to fill up until I was leaving.. Come on warm water...
Butch
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

Midnightpass wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 amCome on warm water...
Butch
According to the buoy, this western swell has lowed the water 4 degrees in as many days. Can't wait for summer