Lake Hodges: Storm Fishing Plus An Interesting Story

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Lake Hodges: Storm Fishing Plus An Interesting Story

Post by Pourboy »

Did I Catch A 19 Pound Bass?

Hey all I headed out to Lake Hodges on Sunday knowing there was a storm coming with the possibility of thunder and lightning. I knew the winds were going to be blowing strong, but really wanted to get out there as it has been a very challenging week for me and I needed to clear my head. I ended up getting out on the water with very few cars in the parking lot and only couple of other people fishing on the shore. I decided today to focus exclusively on the Narrows. I know this hasn’t been the most popular area for fishing since Hodges has been low , but I really wanted to give it a good once over and I figured if the storm came, I would be close enough to the car to get out of there should there be lightning. I ended up hitting the bank on the Rocky edge and only got a couple of bites there. Once I got to the end of the rocks towards the Bernardo arm across the lake and headed back up the other side, where almost nobody fishes anymore including me. I really wanted to hit some of the areas with less pressure since it seems like everybody just heads down the same path over and over at this lake these days.

As I started heading up, the shoreline, a pattern began to emerge. The only bites I had gotten on the other shoreline were where there was no rocks only sand and vegetation. I landed two fish on the other shore, and quickly got two more on this shore, all green pumpkin jigs. I did want to try to reaction bite baits also had been throwing crank beats and spinner baits with no love. I did end up pulling a couple on spinner bait from this edge and one on a Ned rig. Working down the shoreline, bites started coming more and more often. A few minutes later, I ended up getting my biggest fish so far this year 6.1 pounds on the jig. I ended up getting a 3.94 also and ended the day with 14 fish. I ended up having a camera glitch. I did not get all the fish on video this week but I did get the big one.

When the winds finally started blowing and howling across the lake, I figured it was time to cash it in. I guess the fish are bedding and that’s why they were only on sand. Really look forward to getting out there again soon.

On a different note, I got contacted by a Facebook page called Double Digit Bass. The guy messaged me on Instagram asking me if I was THE Chris Brandt caught a 19 lbs. 4 oz. bass at Lake Miramar in 1998. Apparently this Facebook page Chronicles as many of the big Bass of all time as they can find and write up articles on them. They are based out of Tennessee, and after checking them out, they have some really great content. Apparently March 22 was the anniversary of the big catch at Lake Miramar. As I said, I’ve had a very challenging week and wasn’t even thinking about it. The guy said that they have been trying to find information about this for years but no photos or information was available. I let him know that I was that Chris Brandt and I did catch that fish back in 1998. He asked me if he could set up an interview with me to talk about that catch.

I set up a time over the weekend and had a phone interview with them that I will put the link below if you’re interested in listening to it.

I’m very proud of my catch but when you hear the story you will know why I can’t take 100% credit for it. It was a team effort for sure. Check out the video For the fishing action, the story, and a really great beverage encounter on the water from a couple weeks ago. Cheers all and see you on the water soon.
IMG_6165.jpeg
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Lake Hodges: Storm Fishing Plus An Interesting Story

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Pourboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 am Did I Catch A 19 Pound Bass?

Hey all I headed out to Lake Hodges on Sunday knowing there was a storm coming with the possibility of thunder and lightning. I knew the winds were going to be blowing strong, but really wanted to get out there as it has been a very challenging week for me and I needed to clear my head. I ended up getting out on the water with very few cars in the parking lot and only couple of other people fishing on the shore. I decided today to focus exclusively on the Narrows. I know this hasn’t been the most popular area for fishing since Hodges has been low , but I really wanted to give it a good once over and I figured if the storm came, I would be close enough to the car to get out of there should there be lightning. I ended up hitting the bank on the Rocky edge and only got a couple of bites there. Once I got to the end of the rocks towards the Bernardo arm across the lake and headed back up the other side, where almost nobody fishes anymore including me. I really wanted to hit some of the areas with less pressure since it seems like everybody just heads down the same path over and over at this lake these days.

As I started heading up, the shoreline, a pattern began to emerge. The only bites I had gotten on the other shoreline were where there was no rocks only sand and vegetation. I landed two fish on the other shore, and quickly got two more on this shore, all green pumpkin jigs. I did want to try to reaction bite baits also had been throwing crank beats and spinner baits with no love. I did end up pulling a couple on spinner bait from this edge and one on a Ned rig. Working down the shoreline, bites started coming more and more often. A few minutes later, I ended up getting my biggest fish so far this year 6.1 pounds on the jig. I ended up getting a 3.94 also and ended the day with 14 fish. I ended up having a camera glitch. I did not get all the fish on video this week but I did get the big one.

When the winds finally started blowing and howling across the lake, I figured it was time to cash it in. I guess the fish are bedding and that’s why they were only on sand. Really look forward to getting out there again soon.

On a different note, I got contacted by a Facebook page called Double Digit Bass. The guy messaged me on Instagram asking me if I was THE Chris Brandt caught a 19 lbs. 4 oz. bass at Lake Miramar in 1998. Apparently this Facebook page Chronicles as many of the big Bass of all time as they can find and write up articles on them. They are based out of Tennessee, and after checking them out, they have some really great content. Apparently March 22 was the anniversary of the big catch at Lake Miramar. As I said, I’ve had a very challenging week and wasn’t even thinking about it. The guy said that they have been trying to find information about this for years but no photos or information was available. I let him know that I was that Chris Brandt and I did catch that fish back in 1998. He asked me if he could set up an interview with me to talk about that catch.

I set up a time over the weekend and had a phone interview with them that I will put the link below if you’re interested in listening to it.

I’m very proud of my catch but when you hear the story you will know why I can’t take 100% credit for it. It was a team effort for sure. Check out the video For the fishing action, the story, and a really great beverage encounter on the water from a couple weeks ago. Cheers all and see you on the water soon.
IMG_6165.jpeg
Great post, Chris, sounds like a fun day! Always enjoy your YouTube content! Sure my bro and I will see you around Hodges, Cap et all now that we’re tubing.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks so much! That’s awesome! I look forward to seeing you out there again. Cheers!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Nice video Chris. I have been thinking to head to the narrows for the reasons you outlined, it's good to see that it worked well for you. Really liked the story about your big fish and of course that drink on the water was great. See you on the water.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Last summer the narrows were crappie haven for me. I’d go in search of bass and end up with a bunch of Crappie instead. Not complaining about that - Crappie are fun too!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:03 am Last summer the narrows were crappie haven for me. I’d go in search of bass and end up with a bunch of Crappie instead. Not complaining about that - Crappie are fun too!
Absolutely! Some major slabs in there. I never mind that bycatch.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Early release wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am Nice video Chris. I have been thinking to head to the narrows for the reasons you outlined, it's good to see that it worked well for you. Really liked the story about your big fish and of course that drink on the water was great. See you on the water.
That sake was amazing for sure. I have the other type still sitting in my fridge for a future adventure. Also yes for the different spots. I guess a 9 was recently caught by the pump area too. Time to diversify. Cheers!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Another great video and I knew your tube setup does everything, it’s even a floating wet bar!! Love the big catch story and how nice getting to relive that day again! So Hodges back in the day was maybe a red lake like Cap is a green lake etc. Like your jig with a hint of red with the pumpkin, I used to catch a bunch on a red shad power worm and a local Western Plastics hand pour that was something like a red, white, and blue name. They eat red there fo sho!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

JWall wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am Another great video and I knew your tube setup does everything, it’s even a floating wet bar!! Love the big catch story and how nice getting to relive that day again! So Hodges back in the day was maybe a red lake like Cap is a green lake etc. Like your jig with a hint of red with the pumpkin, I used to catch a bunch on a red shad power worm and a local Western Plastics hand pour that was something like a red, white, and blue name. They eat red there fo sho!
Love to throw me some red in the spring..
9473A731-EDD3-4EFE-870B-003AFD91BF1C.jpeg
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

JWall wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am Another great video and I knew your tube setup does everything, it’s even a floating wet bar!! Love the big catch story and how nice getting to relive that day again! So Hodges back in the day was maybe a red lake like Cap is a green lake etc. Like your jig with a hint of red with the pumpkin, I used to catch a bunch on a red shad power worm and a local Western Plastics hand pour that was something like a red, white, and blue name. They eat red there fo sho!
Yup about the red. I was throwing the same bait but with purple and got no love then switched to that one and it’s been on. And yes I love my robotic lounge chair!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Really enjoyed your post and especially your video and hearing your story of the monster bass you caught at Miramar years ago. I could just visualize how exciting that must’ve been. That must’ve been absolutely crazy when you landed it. Look forward to many many more of your posts and videos.
Tight lines always my friend.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 am Really enjoyed your post and especially your video and hearing your story of the monster bass you caught at Miramar years ago. I could just visualize how exciting that must’ve been. That must’ve been absolutely crazy when you landed it. Look forward to many many more of your posts and videos.
Tight lines always my friend.
Thanks Vinny! It was amazing. I’m excited for the next one. Cheers!
Bwood
Angler

Post by Bwood »

Great story. I remember always looking at that pic when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

I have known for some time that you were still on the Top 25 List, but hearing the story was awesome!
Nice 6.1 Pounder too=)
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks! Hanging on the list! Not bad for 26 years later.
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

Post by Ol Dirty Basser »

I enjoyed that interview, thanks for posting it. To be honest I had no idea that fish was that big from your avatar. I recently started following Double Digit Bass and when I found out it it was 19 and from Miramar, I wanted to hear the story.

Legend!
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Post by otaymichael »

SWEET. Said to myself, self, that big one on his is 6 pounds even, wait till he announces it! Dang, a 6.1, go figure.
Well done.
MS

So glad after crying, and finally laughing, at all those lost fish on the last one... amazing. ;/0
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thank you sir!
Stingray
Angler

Post by Stingray »

Chris
Great video once again you are a great story teller and I believe your videos will now get the recognition they deserve!
It's just a unique angle that you present makes you feel like your right there catching a fish or drinking a tasty beverage!
Now we just need a float tube guy that has a BBQ on board for a food and drink paring video!!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Stingray wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am Chris
Great video once again you are a great story teller and I believe your videos will now get the recognition they deserve!
It's just a unique angle that you present makes you feel like your right there catching a fish or drinking a tasty beverage!
Now we just need a float tube guy that has a BBQ on board for a food and drink paring video!!
Thank you so much for the compliments and noticing what I am trying to achieve. As for the BBQ...you never know what ideas that I have for the future. I was not given the nickname "Beefshaman" for no reason. I did not make up that name by the way. Maybe I will explain the origin in the next video. Cheers! See you on the water.