Saltwater sportfishing discussion and reports for private boaters and general saltwater fishing talk.
toasty
Angler

Post by toasty »

I am not sure where the best place is to post this, so I'll start here.

I am a total newbie to fishing. I own a boat located in Harbor Island, and I am interested in learning how to ocean fish. I understand that people catch Spotted Bass and Halibut here in SD Bay. How do I go about starting out?

What sort of gear should I purchase?

Any recommendations on how to learn how to fish?
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Re: Newbie

Post by Carpkiller »

This may sound dumb, but what kind of boat? A sailboat, cabin cruiser, or a smaller power boat?

Spotted bay bass are a lot of fun to catch, and the type of boat you have may determine where you'd be able to fish in the bay...which also might determine what tackle you'll need (for starters).

In general, though, you can catch spotties and other bay fish with a 7 foot spinning rod. If you have a power boat capable of getting into shallower water, I'd start here.

Penn Spinning combo

This setup is perfect for throwing small lures to catch bass and other fish.

Another option would be a live liner reel. This is a heavier outfit. A "live liner/baitrunner/baitfeeder" reel has a switch that puts the reel in neutral. It's heavier, so not as good for throwing small lures...but great for anchoring up, sticking bait on the hook, tossing it out....putting the reel in neutral...sit down, go grill some burgers, whatever. If the fish grabs the bait, the reel goes zzzzzzzz and you know it's time to pick it up an reel it in.

Live Liner for bait soaking

Rinse off your rod and reel after each time you use them, unless you like rust.

I believe this website has a Partner Finder page where you can invite someone to fish on your boat...or go fish on theirs, to figure stuff out.

You could go shore fishing with someone, just to figure out what weighs and hooks and lures you'll need, and learn to tie a knot or two.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
toasty
Angler

Post by toasty »

Carpkiller wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:47 pm This may sound dumb, but what kind of boat? A sailboat, cabin cruiser, or a smaller power boat?
I have a 35' sailboat, with a 6' keel, so let's say about a 9' draft from the waterline.

Ultimately, although I want to start learning in SD Bay, I'd like to be able to fish while anchored in Catalina, or even maybe on the way to/from Catalina. I'm not really looking for "big game" fishing, but something I might be able to catch and eat.

For now, I'd like to do what you said: maybe anchor off the south side of the golf course in Glorietta Bay and fish there, or something like that. It is around 15' of water there.

Thanks so much for the info!
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

20190512_175455.jpg
Yep..there are spotties in Glorietta...and sometimes even a schmoe can catch a legal halibut right off the golf course beach.....

Catalina's a whole 'nother thing...with a lot of calico bass and even bigger stuff.

have fun!
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

Anchoring works, but it's less productive than drifting. Drifting will put your lure in front of more fish that are actively feeding, especially if you position yourself in a likely area, but it can be challenging to line the current up with the wind to avoid continual adjustments.

Once you get boat control down, it's knowing what's safe to handle, and not, like mantis shrimp, sculpin, and cudas.
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

DONT touch a mantis shrimp......
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Check this out and maybe you'll want to do this in the future;

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threa ... at.827196/