Where to throw LC tommorrow.

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Where to throw LC tommorrow.

Post by Everydog »

I am new to getting in the surf again. Did fish in this category surf, piers, and jetties a lot as a kid /teenager with bait. Werfless, has taken me out a few times and of course, we always catch something.

Tomorrow My wife is meeting a friend for a birthday lunch in San Juan Capistrano.

So per the title. Where are some recommended places to have her drop me off for surf fishing between Torrey Pines and Dana Point? I am fine walking a stretch of beach, or staying in one area. I don't need parking so that's a benefit.

If I am looking at this right, the tide will be going from about 2+ to 1.5- during my fishing window which will be about 11 PM -2 PM
I want to only throw Luck Crafts. Maybe need something else to deal with salad if that's what the day gives me.

I would appreciate any tips and if someone wants to meet on this route, and it's potentially LC territory, I am all for it.

Suggestions other than LC throwing would be fine, learning more is good.

Russell
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Where to throw LC tommorrow.

Post by Neuroshima »

Guess we're all a little late to the party and you're probably on your way up as I type this. There's 50 miles of coast line between TP and DP, so I'd just find whatever is most convenient for you.

Halibut season is warming up and grunion are expected this weekend, so your LC might be the best bet, and big perch have been caught recently so you might be in luck. Gulp sandworms are always a good bet for perch. Still too cold for sand crabs.

https://www.americanseafishing.com/post ... california

Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Wow, cool post ^ Thanks. Friends helped me pick Del Mar...but I'll start scoping out more NC places.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

Well, I caught a 20-inch Halibut. I don't think the conditions were good, but I don't know for sure. Low tide Waves every few seconds and all churned up. Other than right on the reefs not much "structure" Grass after a few feet of retrieve on every single cast with the LC. I got popped good on the drop shot white grub, but it didn't stick. Maybe a calico. I don't think catching these guys, the halibut is easy.

I appreciate that post above, Neuroshima. There are things to observe and think about.

The halibut catch was a freaky thing. I was fishing with a piece of shrimp and spooked the fish. I swear I texted my friend and said "I just spooked a 20" halibut. He jammed out of a hole below me on the reef. So I ran back to tie the LC on and on the first cast, I got a fish. 20". Who says fishing isn't luck?
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

If anyone is around who enjoys teaching halibut catching, encouraging going after it, or shortening the path to demoralization. What is a decent catch rate for surf fishing artificials for halibut?

All halibut?

legal halibut?

Dropshot catch rate vs. jerk baits?

Spoons vs. Jerkbaits

Catch rate on best days?
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

I never liked the taste of halis. I like the LC for targeting most of the surf species. If targeting halis I would strictly dropshot the smallest artificials with very short leaders.

If you're targeting good eating species then ghosties are excellent bait.
YNW_FISHY
Angler

Post by YNW_FISHY »

The LC is a really good way to catch halibut. Since they like sand to hide in / around, my recommendation is trying sandy beaches giving halibut many areas to hide. Coronado and mission beach , Del Mar, etc. these are good plces to start. Comb the beach cast after cast and you will get decent action.