Fly Fishing Coronado Surf Again

For all fly fishing related discussions - tackle, locations, fly tying, and reports from everywhere and anywhere.
Joshmo62
Angler

Fly Fishing Coronado Surf Again

Post by Joshmo62 »

Hit the surf with the fly rod again in Coronado last weekend , got 5 perch including this tank! Used red surf flies like the crabby patty pattern which was super fun. The water seemed to have some smell too it from the natural Tijuana spring water but I had waders so I was good i hope.
Attachments
image000002.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
Dry Fly Rie
Angler

Re: Fly Fishing Coronado Surf Again

Post by Dry Fly Rie »

That's a beauty. There are definitely some large perch on that stretch of beach.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Nice perchies OTF... WTG...
Butch
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Did you wash your hands before your burrito?
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Joshmo62 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:51 pm Hit the surf with the fly rod again in Coronado last weekend , got 5 perch including this tank! Used red surf flies like the crabby patty pattern which was super fun. The water seemed to have some smell too it from the natural Tijuana spring water but I had waders so I was good i hope.
Nice! Great perch. Good work.

You can pick pathogens from spay that gets on your clothing above the waders, on you hands when removing waders, or even a few drops of spray that finds it's way into your mouth.

Also into cuts, which I found out the hard way after fishing the San Diego River channel at Dog Beach 26 years ago. I ended up in the hospital for a day with an infected cut getting IV antibiotics. Two other times later I had significant GI issues after fishing waters with a much softer Advisory in effect.

These days, I have an autoimmune disease and am immune compromised so I won't even fish waters with pollution warnings, where posted or the more mild non-posted advisories.

sdbeachinfo.com has the must up to date info on closures, warnings, and advisories. Note that the closures are not a hard, enforced closure but rather a strong recommendation to avoid the water.

There have been a number of stories from local news sources, and now some national, about a significant uptick in illnesses in South Bay area, particularly closer to the Tijuana River estuary

One example is here, which discusses a report from SDSU. This has also been covered on local TV news programs (who watches those anymore?)

https://www.kpbs.org/news/health/2024/0 ... port-finds

Or here from last fall (indicates that some sick people were never in the water)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... uth-county

Keep up with the success and stay well.