Mono County Fishing Information 🐟

Fishing reports for the following SoCal counties:
Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.
admin
SDFish

Mono County Fishing Information 🐟

Post by admin »

Stocking Reports:
The Mono County trout stocking program starts about two weeks before opener (last Saturday in April) and continues all summer throughout 21 bodies of water in Mono County.

Mar 27, 2023

BRIDGEPORT AREA WATERS— Snow, avalanches and more snow. No reports. U.S. 395 north of Lee Vining has been closed and will likely remain closed for some time due to avalanche damage. Power was our for nearly two weeks, but has been restored.

HOT CREEK—Deep snow have kept anglers out of Hot Creek. No reports.

UPPER OWENS, PLEASANT VALLEY RESERVOIR—High flows, debris and mud have made fishing a challenge at the reservoir and access extremely difficult for the Upper Owens. Only a few reports of some bigger trout caught, but until weather conditions improve, don’t expect to see much action.

LOWER OWENS RIVER— Flows are high, and fishing has been slow. That may continue for some time.

Fish stocking is mostly done by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and stocking schedules can be found online on the fish stocking schedule website:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Re: Mono County Fishing Information 🐟

Post by Carpkiller »

¡Los dioses se burlan de mi!

My happy place is closed for the year. Sorta.

With what looks like a normal snowpack has me itching for a trip or two to Mammoth. My favorite thing is to hike and fish along the San Joaquin River.

However....this year, the road is being "reconstructed" and will only be open on weekends....and you'll have to ride a shuttle packed with stinky, inbred chodes from L.A.

All the campgrounds will be closed. If your summer travel plans include the SJR, check this out:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... %20weather.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Carpkiller wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:46 pm ¡Los dioses se burlan de mi!

My happy place is closed for the year. Sorta.

With what looks like a normal snowpack has me itching for a trip or two to Mammoth. My favorite thing is to hike and fish along the San Joaquin River.

However....this year, the road is being "reconstructed" and will only be open on weekends....and you'll have to ride a shuttle packed with stinky, inbred chodes from L.A.

All the campgrounds will be closed. If your summer travel plans include the SJR, check this out:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... %20weather.
Ugh, so no more getting there before 7? am and avoiding the shuttle?

What if you're packing a float tube?
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

You have time to reaaalllly plan your 2025 trip.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

This was last years' report info; what about this year? I am planning to attack the Crowley opener weeks.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

My link is to this year's report, specific to the road into the San Joaquin Valley....

And I apologize to any AngelinXs who inferred that every one from L.A. is an inbred chode.

Here's the text:
Reds Meadow Road reconstruction update
Release Date: Jan 19, 2024

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Affairs Officer: Lisa Cox
lisa.cox@usda.gov
(760) 873-2427
www.fs.usda.gov/inyo

Reds Meadow Road reconstruction update
Projected schedule for public access during 2024 summer season now available
Mammoth Lakes, Calif., January 19, 2024 —Inyo National Forest, partner agencies and contractors responsible for the reconstruction of Reds Meadow Road, which leads to Devil’s Postpile National Monument, are ready to share the projected schedule for the summer 2024 season starting Friday, June 7.

“We hope this schedule will aid in helping our visitors and stakeholders plan their trip to Reds Meadow this year,” said District Ranger Fred Wong. “Please keep in mind we must have full closure days in order for this construction work to take place, for safety reasons, and to get the road finished as quickly as possible.”

Currently, Red’s Meadow Road is closed to wheeled vehicles for the regular winter season with an anticipated seasonal opening date of June 7, 2024, depending on weather. There will be no construction delays while the road is open, however the mandatory ESTA Shuttle Bus is still required to access Reds Meadow.

Schedule from June 7 – September 15, 2024:

Reds Meadow Road will be OPEN Friday mornings at 9:00 AM until Sunday evenings at 7:00 PM with the last ESTA Shuttle Bus.
Exception: opening day of June 7, the road will open at 12:00 PM.
Reds Meadow Road will be CLOSED 24 hours per day for construction work Sunday at 11:00 PM through Friday morning at 9:00 AM.
Holiday weekends:
Independence Day Weekend:
OPEN Wednesday July 3 at 12:00 PM - Sunday July 7 at 7:00 PM.
Labor Day Weekend:
OPEN Friday August 30 at 9:00 AM - Monday September 2 at 7:00 PM
Campgrounds:
All Forest Service and National Park Service campgrounds will remain closed in Reds Meadow Valley in 2024.
Devils Postpile National Monument will continue to provide interpretive and educational programs on days when Reds Meadow Road is open to the public. More information at www.nps.gov/depo
Wilderness permits:
Entry/exit will only be permitted Friday through Sunday for the following trailheads:
Beck Lake, Fern Lake, Fish Creek, High Trail, John Muir Trail North of Devil’s Postpile, John Muir Trail South of Devil’s Postpile, Minaret Lake, River Trail and Shadow Creek.
Entry/exit will not permitted Monday through Thursday.
Leaving your personal vehicle:
You are permitted to leave your vehicle overnight at a trailhead parking lot if you obtain a wilderness entry/exit on open days (Friday – Sunday).
For example, you may enter on a Sunday and exit on a Friday.
No matter what trailhead you are entering from (including any National Park Service lands), remember that your vehicle will not be allowed to leave Monday – Friday morning.
Please print a copy of your permit and leave on the dashboard of your vehicle.
For information about visiting Reds Meadow Resort and Pack Station, please check their website: www.redsmeadow.com
For more information visit: www.fs.usda.gov/goto/inyo/visit-us/alerts-notices/
reds-meadow-road-reconstruction

Questions?

Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center: (760) 924-5500
INF Wilderness Permit Office: (760) 873-2483
Or feel free to direct message us on Facebook @InyoNF
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

So...
I will be doing a lot of day hikes around mammoth. At least one day on the San Joaquin.
Any of you mugs have any recommendations for day trips near Mammoth that don't involve a long drive to the trailhead?
I like throwing little lures in little creeks to catch little fish. Kinda like here in SD, but with prettier scenery.

Other day trips that I've done before include:
Sherwin Lakes
Laurel Lakes
Dead Man's Creek/Big Springs
TJ and Barrett lakes loop behind Lake George
Lee Vining Creek (but that's gonna be swampy with all this runoff)
Coldwater Creek

Suggestions for Mammoth-adjacent day trips?

ThanCKs very much....
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Have you ever checked out green creek? Little further up than Lee vining. Has a few ponds and nice pools. Best part is it’s away from the crowds.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

camobass wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:53 am Have you ever checked out green creek? Little further up than Lee vining. Has a few ponds and nice pools. Best part is it’s away from the crowds.
Naw. I checked it online. Looks like a good graded road, but there's no street view, and very few photo sphere images, so it's hard to check it out remotely. Apparently, it's not a very pop...hold on....

Thanks!

CK