El Cap 3/5 cure for bass thumb

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

El Cap 3/5 cure for bass thumb

Post by Moose »

Had a serious case of bass thumb after yesterday at San V. All it took was a trip to El Cap to cure that! 😆 Been several months since I’d been there. It’s a totally different lake since the last time I was there.

I have always had pretty steady luck with a crankbait there so that’s what I started out with. After about an hour with nothing I picked up the dropshot and picked up one little guy and that was pretty much my morning. After nothing else, not even any bites. About Noon I decided if I’m going to go down, I’m going to go down fishing the way I like to, so I locked a crankbait rod in my hand and had at it. I managed to pick off 6 with the crankbait and had another 3 shake off. Three of those were hardly worthy of being callled a bass but I did manage 3 decent ones. Talked to one guy who said he had a good day throwing the 10XD but I didn’t have my big crankbaits in the boat 🤦🏻‍♂️

Was good to get on a different lake for a day but, damn, I couldn’t believe how many boats were out there today! It looked like a Saturday! Complete with Bassholes! I have never been so blatantly cut off as I was by two different guys today. Like stopping less than 20yds in front of me as I’m idling to a spot.

Oh well, one more trip to San V to look forward to then back to the real world ☹️
Attachments
IMG_2480.jpeg
IMG_2481.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: El Cap 3/5 cure for bass thumb

Post by JWall »

The model of persistence! Way to crack the code. Playing with the idea of Friday out there. Thanks for the report.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Bait was pretty consistent at 20ft throughout the lake. Other than the guy throwing the 10XD, the only other fish I saw caught were in the sticks, shallow. Water temp was 62. I was expecting a much better bite than it was.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

At 62 I would think so. It was 57-59 two weeks ago.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Moose wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:02 pm Bait was pretty consistent at 20ft throughout the lake. Other than the guy throwing the 10XD, the only other fish I saw caught were in the sticks, shallow. Water temp was 62. I was expecting a much better bite than it was.
At 62 degrees..the fish might have something else on their minds....
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

What's with the crowds on a tuesday??....practicing for a tournament?? Or just people getting out when it's not raining??
Tnwoody
Angler

Post by Tnwoody »

Was out there yesterday and didnt feel crowded. Maybe just used to it. Had a decent day. 8 fish from 1.97 lb to 3.25 lb, best 5 around 13.5 lb. Was not fishing hardbaits, just worms and they seemed to work but only in 2 spots of the half dozen areas I hit. Better luck next time Moose, I cant catch them at San V and I know you do.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

I will say the front part of the lake wasn’t too bad but as the day went on, all the typical sections of the North Arm seemed to have a boat on it. Just felt like it was fishing small. I could be spoiled by the room of being on a bigger lake during weekdays as well. Glad you got on em yesterday!
Tnwoody
Angler

Post by Tnwoody »

You may be right, I never went beyond the floating outhouse and then only for a half hour the rest of the day was towards the main lake area.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

A couple of nice El Cap Chucks!