2/16 SD River: After the flooding

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

2/16 SD River: After the flooding

Post by VinnyBass »

Got up this morning and went to a nice breakfast with Deb(bacon/eggs/toast...no crepes today McFish). Later, I found myself in my garage which basically means I started messing around with fishing gear to pass time. I picked up a few clones at Murray the other day and kept thinking about a bass I lost in deep water. It was getting late morning and thought about fishing, but did not want to hit Murray, so I starting thinking... I wonder how messed up the SD River is after all of the rains we had. Well, suddenly I was loading up my truck and took off to the river to check it out. I was greeted by walls of tulles and debris that the rains and raging waters moved all over along the shoreline. I made my way through the mud and brush and the water was muddy brown. The visibility was so bad as I dipped the tip of one of my rods in the water inches down and could not see the tip. I decided to toss reaction baits like spinnerbaits and underspins in hopes they would be seen a little easier. I later went to crank baits and got hung up about 5 times on sunken tree branches etc. (only broke off one bait thank goodness). I just was not feeling it at the river with the muddy conditions and went back to an underspin before leaving. I tossed it next to some stick ups and felt a bump, which was exciting since this was my only
bite. In fear of losing whatever was taking my line out, I set the hook hard and was able to land a bass. Not a beast by any means despite the fight it put up, but healthier than most of the clones I had been catching at Murray. With the rough fishing conditions, it felt good to come out of there with something.
Under Spin.PNG
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Re: 2/16 SD River: After the flooding

Post by KillinTime »

You can tell the watercolor paled that fish up some. Nice work!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

KillinTime wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 pm You can tell the watercolor paled that fish up some. Nice work!
Yeah that bass was digging along the bottom and when it came to the surface
I was surprised how light colored it was. Maybe it was cold too! ha ha
Most of the bass in the river have more color and are darker usually.
For example....Quite a difference from the above bass
sdriver.png
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Nice one