Halibut Bite SD Bay

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Halibut Bite SD Bay

Post by mcquade outdoors »

Since i cant get away from halibut, i decided to target them. Grabbed the heavy irod and rigged up the double drop shot after work and it didnt disappoint.
Spotted Bay Bass: 2
Jack Smelt: 1
Halibut: 6
Sea Monster: 1 but never saw what it was, towed me in circles, guessing butterfly ray

Attachments
IMG_3949.jpg
IBQBE6345.JPG
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Halibut Bite SD Bay

Post by Dannicus »

Awesome!
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

6 halibut in a single session... nothing to see here.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Nice video. No mediocre music in the background and good tips.

Replace the weight with a 1/4 ounce jig head and a curly tail or paddle tail grub and you get spotties in between the halibut, plus halibut will bite the grub too. And you can foul hook more rays if you are into that.

White seems to be the best color for halibut. They bite any soft plastics, doesn't have to be flukes. Life is not too exciting as a halibut, just lay on the bottom and hope a free meal comes by. The ultimate slacker fish, like an offspring that refuses to leave home (fortunately, I have over achievers as offspring).

I would recommend a big bait and small bait on the drop shot. The big bait as an attractor and the small bait as the one they will actually take. Most of the halibut I have caught (including legals) have been on smaller baits, not sure why.

I once landed about a 25 lb bat ray on 10 lb test, foul hooked. Took me over an hour to get to shallow water to release it. They will make short movements, sulk, then move again, not easy to beat. Mud marlin. Halibut are much easier to bring in.

I will be trying out some of this next time out.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Another great video man! Excellent job out there.
1Fishdude
Angler

Post by 1Fishdude »

What a great video with lots of good tips. Where do you launch your paddleboard from? Can you launch a kayak from there also or a float tube?. I have been dropshotting zoom flukes for quite a while with good success but i use alot more weight than you seem to. re a reason for this? It looks like your using maybe a 1/4 oz weight?. Thanks for the videos keep em coming.