Fly fishing carp locally

This forum enables boaters and non-boaters to connect for upcoming fishing trips.
Tubefly
Angler

Fly fishing carp locally

Post by Tubefly »

Looking to join up to fly fish carp in out local area - thanks
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Fly fishing carp locally

Post by Neuroshima »

Where are you located? There aren't many good options in SD. The SDR in mission valley and some local creeks actually have some sizable carp, but access points are very limited. A lot of standing and waiting for one to swim by, and chances are a hobo will come around and bug you for something.

Henshaw is probably the best known for carp, and the hopper hatch. Kind of the go-to lake for carp on the fly. A lot of people get carp at Morena on bait from shore and the fishing dock. A few people have caught them from a float tube while fly fishing, but I think they're more by-catch rather than targeted. Hodges also has some monsters by the boat launch, but again, not sure if many people specifically target them on the fly.

You pretty much have to be able to see the fish to get one to eat a fly, and most reservoirs don't allow SUPs or on-top kayaks, so fly carpers are handicapped in that manner. Imperial valley is the place to be, if you can afford the trip out there.
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

If you are willing to drive, Big Bear lake has tons of carp in the newly flooded shallows. The bow fishermen are literally slaying them by the dozens right now.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
Werfless
Angler

Post by Werfless »

Imperial Valley... You're welcome
Hook1fred
Angler

Post by Hook1fred »

Perris
Tubefly
Angler

Post by Tubefly »

Neuroshima wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:30 am Where are you located? There aren't many good options in SD. The SDR in mission valley and some local creeks actually have some sizable carp, but access points are very limited. A lot of standing and waiting for one to swim by, and chances are a hobo will come around and bug you for something.

Henshaw is probably the best known for carp, and the hopper hatch. Kind of the go-to lake for carp on the fly. A lot of people get carp at Morena on bait from shore and the fishing dock. A few people have caught them from a float tube while fly fishing, but I think they're more by-catch rather than targeted. Hodges also has some monsters by the boat launch, but again, not sure if many people specifically target them on the fly.

You pretty much have to be able to see the fish to get one to eat a fly, and most reservoirs don't allow SUPs or on-top kayaks, so fly carpers are handicapped in that manner. Imperial valley is the place to be, if you can afford the trip out there.
I live in RB - thanks for the advice
Jc153fishing
Pro Angler

Post by Jc153fishing »

I have some good spot at the river sD if you like 👍🏽
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Post by mcquade outdoors »

Jc153fishing wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:11 pm I have some good spot at the river sD if you like 👍🏽
If youre willing to share them, id give it a try.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Lake Henshaw, they even have a two week period where grasshoppers get blown into the water and the Carp gorge on them. My buddy spots fish with a drone, chases them down and throws his small white Maribou Flies to them the rest of the Spring/Summer.