total begginer

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
fishyfishes
Angler

total begginer

Post by fishyfishes »

hello everyone. my 10 yo son and i have a newly found interest on fishing but as all beginners we need all the help we can get. We plan to start fishing at Dixon lake but first i need to buy some rods. then figure out what hooks and what bait so any help/advice would be highly appreciated.
galen
Pro Angler

Re: total begginer

Post by galen »

Last edited by galen on Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galen
Pro Angler

Post by galen »

This time of year trout is your best bet there. 4lb test, ultralight rod/reel combo and Powerbait is the easiest beginner set up. Just cast it out and wait til your rod tip starts bouncing.
iCatch
Angler

Post by iCatch »

fishyfishes wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:49 am hello everyone. my 10 yo son and i have a newly found interest on fishing but as all beginners we need all the help we can get. We plan to start fishing at Dixon lake but first i need to buy some rods. then figure out what hooks and what bait so any help/advice would be highly appreciated.
@fishyfishes
See the powerbait rig below. The idea here is to use floating powerbait so that your hook stays above the ground. Use a smaller and lighter hooks.
Trout can be finicky sometimes and it's a good idea to experiment with different powerbait scents and colors.
Also change the leader length depending on the season and water depth. If I've never fished the spot, I'd normally look at what other guys use.
I often use a 2-3 foot leader and a garlic scented powerbait.
ef0401738711a5d94c5f472253973bb1.jpg
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

February 3rd, there is a Kids Fishing Derby at Lake Poway. If you could make it I guarantee you and your son will learn a lot about catching fish in the local lakes. Also, the Volunteers and Park Rangers are savvy and can help you with rigging and knots. All tackle is available at the Tackle Shop, or you can go to any “Real” Fishing Tackle shop for all your needs and some good advice. Come on down and put your Boy on some fish in a helpful environment. Look up “ Lake Poway Kids Fishing Derby ‘24” for any more information.
fishyfishes
Angler

Post by fishyfishes »

well its sunday and im just now seeing this post. if anyone knows of upcoming events please feel free to let me know. thank you eiter way tho.
sawheeler52
Angler

Post by sawheeler52 »

fishyfishes wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:30 am well its sunday and im just now seeing this post. if anyone knows of upcoming events please feel free to let me know. thank you eiter way tho.
fishyfishes,
Lake Dixon Trout Derby in April.
https://www.escondido.org/Dixon-Lake-trout-derby.aspx
One attraction to see is the "Kiddie Pond" for those under 8-years old.
I know your son doesn't qualify; but it's still pretty cool to check this out.
Those little fisherpeople are almost guaranteed a catch.
If you guys are total beginners, I bet your son would both enjoy, learn from and develop a view of how cool it is to pull in a fish.

I am not a trout fisherman; but I recognize the rig displayed in an earlier comment fits Dixon trout fishing perfectly.
As an Escondido resident, Dixon has been my home lake for almost 25-years.
When it's time to catch a bass, gimme a call.
Dixon is a largemouth factory.
Please, please, please post a picture or 2 of your outings; even if you don't catch anything.
As I always recommend, before your fishing day; scope out the lake, walking it and most importantly watching and talking to those catching the fish. This can markedly improve your success chances on the day.
Stephen
sawheeler52
Angler

Post by sawheeler52 »

fishyfishes wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:49 am hello everyone. my 10 yo son and i have a newly found interest on fishing but as all beginners we need all the help we can get. We plan to start fishing at Dixon lake but first i need to buy some rods. then figure out what hooks and what bait so any help/advice would be highly appreciated.
Fishyfishes,
Just another comment or two in addition to my earlier post.
I often fish for bass at Dixon during the trout season and have made some observations.
Of huge note, seems to me, consistent with the rig drawing; no trout fisherman uses terminal line weights heavier than 4# test. If you can handle 2#, better yet. At my age, I can't even see 2#.
If you try to duplicate the rig drawing provided, you're going to need to know the knot(s) to use. YouTube has a plethora or how to tie knots videos.
I'm looking for a link to Dixon's trout stocking schedule.
If I find it, will post here.
Stephen
fishyfishes
Angler

Post by fishyfishes »

much appreciated
sawheeler52
Angler

Post by sawheeler52 »

Fishyfishes,
More of what one bass guy thinks he knows about Dixon Lake trout fishing:
1. Rod weight - Probably "light," maybe even ultra-light.
2. Rod length - 6 foot and under. Shoot, as a shore-bound bass fisherman I'm usually 7'2" - 7'4".
3. Reel type - Though I might usually recommend a spin-cast (AKA push button) for a new 10-year old; if you're target trout, almost has to be a small spinning reel; though this may take some practice in some open space until you prove you can cast close to where you are aiming.
4. Where to go - if you are shore-bound (i.e. not renting a boat), I think most piers produce. If you're into a bit of a walk (uphill back to your car), I've seen tons of rainbows come out of Whisker Bay as the bass hang out here also. If you rent a boat, the buoy line center seems prime.
General Dixon Lake for beginners:
1. In the spring and summer, bluegills are plentiful and easy to catch. A simple bobber with a nightcrawler piece works well. A young fisherman may have a blast just watching his bobber bounce up and down with the initial nibbles.
Stephen