Kudos to sdfish.org

If you have a question or comment about the forums you are welcome to post them here. If you require immediate assistance feel free to message the admins/mods.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Kudos to sdfish.org

Post by Gotfish? »

As we start the new year, it is nice to see the site being a lot more positive and more fishing oriented than the old sdfish.com.

I think adding some fishing articles on lakes, bays and species like the old site had would be a plus though and bring in more visitors, such as at https://web.archive.org/web/20230124172 ... dfish.com/ .

No Mike Long or Phil Jay articles though.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Re: Kudos to sdfish.org

Post by Tailingloop »

Articles would be nice. Provided by authors at no cost. Not sure if that would increase the cost of maintaining the site, which may necessitate advertisements though.

Looking through the member list a large percentage of users posted 0, 1, or 2 times.
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

That's a good idea although it will require some website restructure. I'm going to check what it's going to take to implement.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

admin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:49 pm That's a good idea although it will require some website restructure. I'm going to check what it's going to take to implement.
The simplest way to implement might be through a blog engine/format.

Then you need to consider time editing submissions (spelling, grammar, etc). Possibly editing photos. Also some very minimal editorial and submission guidelines.
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

Tailingloop wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:30 pm
admin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:49 pm That's a good idea although it will require some website restructure. I'm going to check what it's going to take to implement.
The simplest way to implement might be through a blog engine/format.

Then you need to consider time editing submissions (spelling, grammar, etc). Possibly editing photos. Also some very minimal editorial and submission guidelines.
I'm thinking about doing with Wordpress which should be fairly easy to implement. As far as writing articles and editing submissions that could be time consuming and may only be done with community effort.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

admin wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:50 pm I'm thinking about doing with Wordpress which should be fairly easy to implement. As far as writing articles and editing submissions that could be time consuming and may only be done with community effort.
Ideally all site admin would have to do is format submissions as needed to fit the page or blog format. Maybe do a final spelling check and read for obvious errors and maybe crop an image if it has a lot of extraneous crud in it.

Community provided content with no payment.

Text and images credited to the author

Some minimal guidelines for submission (let's make this easy - it isn't a magazine):
  • Submitters should run spell and grammar check - most word processors should support this. This isn't professional work so somwhat less than professional writing should be acceptable. When I write stuff I usually have someone else like my wife do a quick proof read.
  • Don't use someone else's material (copyright issues)
  • Images should be jpeg (jpg) and sized to something like a max of 800 or 1000 or 1200 pixels on longest side to keep size small when sent in. Most blog tools have a tool to resize smaller as needed to fit the format. Most 4K monitors are 3840 wide x 2160 high pixels so 1200 would be almost 1/3 the width of a full screen and more than half with width of an HD laptop screen ( 1920 x 1080)
  • Acceptable submission format(s) should be specified (e.g. MS word compatible, PDF, RTF (rich text format), unformatted txt file, etc). Most word processors can export files in MS Word or RTF format. When I was writing articles for a newsletter I submitted text in RTF format in one file, images in jpg format in other files, and also included a PDF with the the text formatted the way I wanted it ( bullet or numbered lists if any, highlight boxes, etc) and images placed in where I preferred they be. The PDF was just a guide for the editor. Sometimes the newsletter editor would put the images in a different place to fit the format they were using and use different text formatting - I didn't care unless the meaning of something was changed.

When I write blog entries for the Stroud Tackle website it may take me two to four hours for the article writing and proof reading (I still find errors later - I'm not paying myself :) ) and photo editing but 15 minutes or less to create the actual blog entry. It is just a cut and paste process from file with the text and some formatting using the blog tool. Images are drag and drop into the blog tool, and sized and positioned in the tool.

Most blog tools have an option to allow readers to make comments. I would turn the ability to comment off since that can get ugly.
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

This is what I came up with https://blog.sdfish.org
I'll need to make some minor changes and add blog links to the forum but other than that it's ready to go.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Would a link to the old SC Surffishing Forum Articles be ok to attach?
Butch
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

Midnightpass wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:33 am Would a link to the old SC Surffishing Forum Articles be ok to attach?
Butch
Sure.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Would I attach it here or the Blog?
Butch
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

Midnightpass wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:06 pm Would I attach it here or the Blog?
Butch
I will probably add a link on the main page of SDFish. Just need some time to figure out the logistics.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Ok... You are taking care of it?.. You don't need me to supply the link?
Butch
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

Midnightpass wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:20 pm Ok... You are taking care of it?.. You don't need me to supply the link?
Butch
Is this the correct link
https://www.scsurffishing.com
?
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Yea, that'll get you there, but if you just want the articles..
https://www.scsurffishing.com/articles.htm
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

admin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:42 am This is what I came up with https://blog.sdfish.org
I'll need to make some minor changes and add blog links to the forum but other than that it's ready to go.

That looks like a simple and easy format for anyone to use. I like it.

I see a checkbox for accepting "Terms and Conditions" but don't find a link to Terms and Conditions to read. If you don't have any you can probably find some somewhere to tweak. A main consideration is dealing with copyright (e.g. don't use someone else's words and images, or accepting attests that submitter has permission to use any copyrighted permissions, who owns copyright). Personally, I would probably add a copyright watermark to any images I include with the blog post and and a copyright statement at the end of anything I submit. Others may not care.

I'm most likely to contribute regarding fly fishing topics for bays, surf, freshwater and saltwater. It would be nice to have a "Flyfishing" category but not necessary since a good number of topics could fit into the four you already have.

However I might consider adding something like a "General Fishing" or just "General" or something similar category for topics that may be broader than the more specific categories like a blog post on knots, gear, or a gear review/opinion, tools (e.g. pliers, cutters, hook hones, hook removers, tackle bags/boxes, kayaks, float tubes, gear maintenance, favorite burrito joints, clothing, etc.)
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

Tailingloop wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 pm
admin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:42 am This is what I came up with https://blog.sdfish.org

That looks like a simple and easy format for anyone to use. I like it.

I see a checkbox for accepting "Terms and Conditions" but don't find a link to Terms and Conditions to read. If you don't have any you can probably find some somewhere to tweak. A main consideration is dealing with copyright (e.g. don't use someone else's words and images, or accepting attests that submitter has permission to use any copyrighted permissions, who owns copyright). Personally, I would probably add a copyright watermark to any images I include with the blog post and and a copyright statement at the end of anything I submit. Others may not care.

I'm most likely to contribute regarding fly fishing topics for bays, surf, freshwater and saltwater. It would be nice to have a "Flyfishing" category but not necessary since a good number of topics could fit into the four you already have.

However I might consider adding something like a "General Fishing" or just "General" or something similar category for topics that may be broader than the more specific categories like a blog post on knots, gear, or a gear review/opinion, tools (e.g. pliers, cutters, hook hones, hook removers, tackle bags/boxes, kayaks, float tubes, gear maintenance, favorite burrito joints, clothing, etc.)
It's still in the works and some links aren't active yet. I'll add a "General Fishing" category too, thanks for the suggestion.
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

SDFish blog is up and running now. Everyone's welcome to submit any relevant material you may have.