12/1-Lake Miramar update

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

12/1-Lake Miramar update

Post by VinnyBass »

Right before they closed Lake Miramar to all watercraft months ago, I had some really fun fishing trips.
Bass were on the chew on the handful of trips I made and only wished I fished earlier up there before they closed in September. In fact I had my most productive bass fishing day this year catching 18 bass with various reaction baits.
I knew that the lake was going to be closed for a long while with the huge underwater pipeline project, but I made a trip up to Lake Miramar to check things out.
When I arrived it was pretty shocking as the launch ramp was filled up with huge pipes and a big barge was just outside of the ramp with all types of equipment on it. Across the lake was another big barge and another area out towards the dam that was marked off with orange floating buoys. I walked around a big fenced area to see all types of huge pipes and connectors and other equipment. I was told in September that the project was going to shut down all on the water activities and fishing but never thought just how big of a project this was.
I recently talked to a kayaker at Lake Murray who drove pretty far and thought he could launch at Miramar and found out the hard way that he couldn't and ended up at Murray. I imagine others have done it also.
I think one of the reasons I drove up to Miramar was because I just wanted to get an update on things and let some of you out there that don't know,
to not take your boats or any other watercraft up there or face a big disappointment.
Maybe the only really good news as far as fishing goes, is the bass will be pretty dang hungry when this project is completed
and we are allowed back on the water. :-)
A.png
Purewater.PNG
B.PNG
E1.PNG
C.PNG
D.PNG
E.PNG
F.PNG
huge pipes.PNG
Lots of crap...I mean water can go through these huge pipes...
G.PNG
Heck from what I saw, I sadly came to the conclusion that there is not going to be any watercraft at all on the water
for a long, long, long time.
So for now, all I have is memories of some fun trips......
Miramar Sept.PNG
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Re: 12/1-Lake Miramar update

Post by Moose »

Sadly, the way the city works, I have to wonder IF we will be allowed back on the water at all? 🫤
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Moose wrote: ↑Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:37 pm Sadly, the way the city works, I have to wonder IF we will be allowed back on the water at all? 🫤
I think they will allow it, but that's not what concerns me. I'm concerned that:

1) The project will take much, much longer than expected, dragging out the "no watercraft" situation for what seems like forever
2) The "Pure Water" project somehow changes the water quality so the fishing isn't as good
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Rattus wrote: ↑Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:52 am
Moose wrote: ↑Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:37 pm Sadly, the way the city works, I have to wonder IF we will be allowed back on the water at all? 🫤
I think they will allow it, but that's not what concerns me. I'm concerned that:

1) The project will take much, much longer than expected, dragging out the "no watercraft" situation for what seems like forever
2) The "Pure Water" project somehow changes the water quality so the fishing isn't as good
It is still going to be a while to finish the project but I spoke to a city employee a few weeks ago who gave a rough estimate of
perhaps in August or maybe a little after, he thinks they will be able to allow watercraft on the water again. Oh course do not take
my word, but at least it was a glimmer of hope as I enjoyed some really fun trips up there last year right before they closed in
September to allowing watercraft on the water. I can only keep my fingers crossed.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Any word if the project will impact water quality and/or fish population?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Rattus wrote: ↑Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:30 pm Any word if the project will impact water quality and/or fish population?
Unfortunately, I have no information how it affect the fishing. I just know those bass in there seem to be pretty hungry as there’s not much pressure from bass fisherman fishing that lake like other lakes in the county. I’m just guessing things are gonna be OK and hopefully the water will stay pretty clear.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

If my memory serves me right, Queue said a long while back that the pure water isn’t good for the fish.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

camobass wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:08 am If my memory serves me right, Queue said a long while back that the pure water isn’t good for the fish.
I have that recollection as well, something about it lowering the oxygen level in the lake. I don't know anything about it and hope that's not the case.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

The good news is Bass are tough. I mean they survive just fine in the sewage that is the SD River. I know of a population of Bass that live in a Golf Pond that is no more than 3 feet deep and dyed green. It is filled with “reclaimed” water out of the Purple Pipes. They also survive in the Santa Ana River, similar in water quality to the SD River. The Alamo River is also highly polluted, yet contains a fishable population of Bass and Catfish. The line seems to be drawn at the lower Tijuana River which is virtually lifeless, though the upper reaches still have Bass. Are they World Class fisheries, no. But If Bass can thrive in these waters, Miramar should be fine.