Be careful at speed in Big Bay!! Tons of debris

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Be careful at speed in Big Bay!! Tons of debris

Post by JWall »

Most of its the nuisance size trash but I did see boards and such that would do damage to your hill and motor. That trash could stop water intake too. I had to lift up my motor to free a stick and other things several times. I heard MB was bad too.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Re: Be careful at speed in Big Bay!! Tons of debris

Post by Tailingloop »

We fished south bay today - south of National City. I was actually surprised that there was less stuff floating around than I expected. Trash and debris that is. We ran into lots of floating eel grass as well a patches of other organic material.

Various types of plastic bag appear year round and as you not all sorts of things can plug up your engine. I had a day on the delta ruined once when my hosts engine sucked up a candy bar wrapper ( they pulled it out at the repair shop).

Floating logs, or here more likly things like sections of 2x4 or 4x4 timber can put a real hurt on the lower unit. If there is some wind chop or you are otherwise distracted it can be easy to not see something floating just barely or slightly below the surface.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Be careful at speed in Big Bay!! Tons of debris

Post by JWall »

There was one board that was barely visable until you were right up on it. A waterlogged 1x6 about 5ft long that would have messed up a prop etc. And tons of plastic…long lines of trash formed by the wind and currents. All we needed were some dorado underneath all that 😆