Missing the Southern Cal weather - sorta?

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
kahuna bass
Angler

Missing the Southern Cal weather - sorta?

Post by kahuna bass »

Greetings all,

It's been a few months since I last posted. Kentucky country life is outstanding. It's nice you're able to fish and shoot on your property (the ranch) with zero repercussions (except scaring off a couple of the neighbor's cows).

I've stocked over 15 lbs of fathead minnows and 100 bluegills since we moved in June. A few more channel catfish and a couple of algae-eating carp. Bass has grown from 1/2 -3/4 pound to over pound, largest to date 1.5lbs.

I have a couple of large proven lakes nearby (Lake Brasher - 40 minutes and Kentucky Lake - an hour or so). Whenever I get the time to get my bass boat from San Diego to Kentucky would be a welcome for the bass stocking program.

We've had crazy cold weather the past week, with temperatures in single digits. I can't fish any of my 3 ponds due to ice conditions, maybe ice fishing may be in order (nope, not doing it!)

Can't wait to come back and visit and get some SOCAL bass fishing time!

Mel - Kentucky Kahuna bass
Attachments
Ice 3.jpg
Ice 2.jpg
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Missing the Southern Cal weather - sorta?

Post by Neuroshima »

Very cool, I'm so jealous. Hope you get to stay warm. We just had a huge rainstorm and some parts of SD were literally under water. House with 4ft of water flooding into them... check out the news. I hope everyone on this forum is okay.

Have you been following BamaBass's pond build? In his latest episode, he was showing the growth data of the bass after 2 years. There's a trend of a huge increase of size after he introduced freshwater prawns, something you might want to consider. He also introduced tilapia to control alage and as a forage source for the bass since they're so prolific. I personally like carp better because they're more fun to target and catch. What type of carp did you put in, common or grass carp?
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

I have great fishing up here in Wyoming too.....if you like trout. I do like trout and have caught 9 different species (if you count grayling and hybrids), but I still miss my SD county bassies, as well as the pan fishing. And of course, the weather back home in the winter time.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
kahuna bass
Angler

Post by kahuna bass »

Neuroshima wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:04 am Very cool, I'm so jealous. Hope you get to stay warm. We just had a huge rainstorm and some parts of SD were literally under water. House with 4ft of water flooding into them... check out the news. I hope everyone on this forum is okay.

Have you been following BamaBass's pond build? In his latest episode, he was showing the growth data of the bass after 2 years. There's a trend of a huge increase of size after he introduced freshwater prawns, something you might want to consider. He also introduced tilapia to control alage and as a forage source for the bass since they're so prolific. I personally like carp better because they're more fun to target and catch. What type of carp did you put in, common or grass carp?
Greetings Neuroshima!

Bama bass is great. Like you, I've been following his site for years. He's done a remarkable job with his 5 acres. I was not fortunate to start my pond from ground zero (10 years old), but it's now a work in progress. I planted several tree limbs that have become a great cover for the fathead minnows and bluegills. I got a couple of Triploid Grass Carp and they have done well. I'll need to get rid of some smaller bass, to allow the larger one to grow. Once spring comes around, I'll have some folks from my church come over and catch and keep bass and catfish.

Again, if you ever find yourself heading this way, please let me know.

kahuna bass
Angler

Post by kahuna bass »

TaBASSco wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:23 am I have great fishing up here in Wyoming too.....if you like trout. I do like trout and have caught 9 different species (if you count grayling and hybrids), but I still miss my SD county bassies, as well as the pan fishing. And of course, the weather back home in the winter time.
TaBASSco,

Wyoming is beautiful country! Haven't done any trout fishing but will plan for it in the future. Let me know if you head my way.