New Angler Seeking Gear Recommendations – Help Needed!

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Adam the fisherman
Angler

New Angler Seeking Gear Recommendations – Help Needed!

Post by Adam the fisherman »

I'm thrilled to join this fantastic community of fishing enthusiasts. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to fishing, and I'm eager to dive into this exciting world. However, I find myself a bit overwhelmed by the vast array of fishing gear available. So, I'm turning to you, the experts, for some guidance and recommendations.
I'm looking to build my fishing arsenal from the ground up, and I would love to hear your thoughts on essential gear for someone just starting out. Here are a few areas where I could really use your expertise.
I do salt or fresh water fishing form time to time. Can someone who are kind to offer me and my family some advice. Me and my wife will take our kids to fish.
Pipster
Angler

Re: New Angler Seeking Gear Recommendations – Help Needed!

Post by Pipster »

There is a few things to consider before answering. Is your wife a avid fisherwoman? Or is she like my wife who sees it as more housework as I drag dirt into the car and fishy smelling clothing home. Secondly how old are your kids?

There is a few places where you can make it a day trip, with a picnic, hike, fishing, etc, or are you looking to get a boat/kayak/bellyboat and pound the water like the pros on here?
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Great questions by Pipster. I would argue to start out like any other sport of hobby, start small and work your way up.

A cheap spinning combo (~$30-50) from your typical sporting goods store, 7 feet medium action will work, 10 lb nylon fishing line, size 6 hooks, and some weights (0.5 -1 oz). I don't even buy weights, I just tie on old nails/screws/bolts. Tie on a looper rig (Dropper or Spider-hitch, see youtube), hook on a nickel-size piece of raw shrimp (fresh is best) and cast from the rocks. Known as the "Werf rig" after former SDFISH member Werfless. You'll probably get bit in no time.

I particularly like to fish this off Quivira point when I'm with my kids. There's plenty of parking that backs up right to the rocks, it's usually never crowded, and there's a big field for the kids to run around on if they get bored, which they usually do. It's the entrance to Mission Bay, so you get a widervariety of species; wrasse, opal eye, bass, orange fish you're not suppose to catch, etc.
PXL_20221204_173133935.jpg
sdfriday
Angler

Post by sdfriday »

If you are just fishing lakes and the bays from shore (not saltwater piers), then IMO it's hard to beat this combo for value. Not joking when I say it's as good as combos >2x the price.
Shakespeare 7' micro light rod and Daiwa Regal LT 2500
I would still happily use this combo today and I have some much more expensive combos. The performance is great. Some folks will tell you to get an ugly stick. Nothing wrong with that but this rod is more sensitive and casts better and is also durable. Whatever you do, don't buy an ugly stick combo as the reels are terrible. The Daiwa Regal LT is a legit spinning reel. Especially at the sale price below.
Get yourself some 10lb braid (I like Powerpro) and you are off to the races. if you want to upgrade the rod for a bit more $, the Daiwa Air d x is good value. I'd get the 7' ML but YMMV.

rod
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespeare- ... 8dEALw_wcB

reel
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/daiwa-r ... lsrc=aw.ds
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Regardless of gear, be sure to rinse off all your gear and tackle after each trip. Otherwise it is going to corrode, sometimes enough to be worthless even before the next trip. If you change the hooks, sinkers, lures, etc. then put the old ones in a plastic bag and rinse them out too when you get home. Under no circumstances do you put a wet hook back in the container with good hooks, they usually all get ruined. You don't need special saltwater gear and tackle if you do this.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Best wishes on this new endeavor. San Diego is fishing heaven! Some thoughts on starting out:

A. Get a decent spinning outfit for lighter baits and lures. 8lb or 10lb test works, you can always tie on lighter leaders.
B. Buy a decent baitcasting outfit for heavier weights. 12lb test works but you could spool 10lb too. Invest in quality line.
C. Read this page for bait/lures and strategy but also get intel at the local shops. Yes they are selling you but most are excited and happy to point out the baits and lures that work.
D. Get out to Barrett next season. Nuff said.
E. Don’t hesitate to fish the bays. The catch rates can be great and the tackle/lures are essentially the same. Boats are available to rent from Seaforth and the kids will love the adventure. Wifey will love the scenery.