What kayak do you fish out of?

Dedicated talk about fishing from and rigging kayaks and standup paddle boards.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

What kayak do you fish out of?

Post by VinnyBass »

I just was curious to see what brand of kayaks some of you fish out of.
There are tons of brands and sizes ranging from not too expensive to very expensive.
I understand that often it depends on where most of you fish. Example: in salt water many
guys use a longer kayak to be more stable like a 14' one over a smaller one.
I fish freshwater out of a Hobie Pro Angler 12. I also have a Pelican Catch 100 which is a heck
of a lot lighter to drag down the SD River here and there.

Anyway....what kayak or kayaks to you have and do you like it?
As I mentioned that many kayaks these days are very expensive but if you could upgrade
to a different one than what you have ....would you pick something different?

My Pro Angler 12
IMG_9323.PNG
My Pelican Catch 100
IMG_9320.PNG
Early release
Extreme Angler

Re: What kayak do you fish out of?

Post by Early release »

Hi Vinny,

I have an Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL. For me it's just about perfect. It's a good length and wide enough to be very stable, which I like. I have no issues to stand and cast and even can operate the pedals with my hand and troll along. It had good internal storage until I put the panoptix and batteries in that front hold, but I did that for access if I have an issue. It isn't the lightest kayak, and I'm really debating on a new way to roll it around. I might weld a little dolly to carry the whole kayak and make it easier. I'm open to suggestions on full kayak dollies if someone has one.

If I was buying a kayak now, I'd buy the same one. I'm used to it, so I like the way it works. About the only thing that needs work is the rudder supplied with it bends a bit and you can't quite turn as fast as you might want to. That's easily fixed.
inthedeep2
Angler

Post by inthedeep2 »

I fish mainly saltwater, so for me it was a tossup between the Old Town Bigwater 132 and the Hobie PA14. I bought my kayak in 2021 when supplies were sucking. I went with the PA14, it was in stock not 3-4 months out like the Old Town was. If i were to do it again i would have to go the same route, Hobie PA 12 or 14.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

IMG_5505.jpeg
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:33 pmIMG_5505.jpeg
How do you turn it?......:-)
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

VinnyBass wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:12 pm
You don’t, that’s what the swivel office chair is for haha
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:23 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:12 pm
You don’t, that’s what the swivel office chair is for haha
I guess then no future upgrade plans for you Camobass? :-)
Tight lines always
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

inthedeep2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:35 am I fish mainly saltwater, so for me it was a tossup between the Old Town Bigwater 132 and the Hobie PA14. I bought my kayak in 2021 when supplies were sucking. I went with the PA14, it was in stock not 3-4 months out like the Old Town was. If i were to do it again i would have to go the same route, Hobie PA 12 or 14.
I really like my PA 12......as it is perfect for my freshwater needs. Town and County make some pretty awesome kayaks from what
I see, but if I was to buy another kayak, it would most likely be another PA 12.
I kind of like the Hobie Lynx. A buddy replaced his PA 12 with the Hobie Lynx and really enjoys it as it is pretty light weight
and easier to handle. I think the lack of storage kind of keeps me away from it at this point.
Anyway.....tight lines to ya. :-)
monstahfish
Angler

Post by monstahfish »

I use a hobie lynx for freshwater and bays and an outback for la jolla and if someone comes with me. If I have a guest, I take the outback loaded down with all the gear so I can keep them in a minimalist setup and it's less intimidating for a new kayak fisher to not worry about losing things or getting stuff caught or reaching behind them etc...
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

I have an old Malibu X-Factor 14.5' I use in the bays. It's a very stable kayak, can hold a TON of gear (it has a max weight load of 625 lbs!), and can move out surprisingly well for its size. The downside is it's a beast to load/unload/transport. I'd love to eventually get a pedal kayak but they are so expensive. Having the hands free to fish while underway is a huge advantage and one reason I love float tubes.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Rattus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:53 am I have an old Malibu X-Factor 14.5' I use in the bays. It's a very stable kayak, can hold a TON of gear (it has a max weight load of 625 lbs!), and can move out surprisingly well for its size. The downside is it's a beast to load/unload/transport. I'd love to eventually get a pedal kayak but they are so expensive. Having the hands free to fish while underway is a huge advantage and one reason I love float tubes.
Even though I just fish freshwater, I know it is very important to have a stable kayak especially if you fish saltwater. Your max weight
load of 625 is awesome! I would have to have a 14' kayak if I fished saltwater. My PA12 is great for what I do and I can take lots of gear
and fishing hands free is the icing on the cake. My lighter kayak(Pelican Catch 100) just for quick trips but never realized how much
different it is fishing with paddles as it is much easier with pedals.
Then trying to maneuver the kayak when catching a fish with the paddles always in the way have proven to not be as much fun as
many times I am right next to trees, stick-ups etc and hard to paddle the kayak away from that when I am trying to land a bass. The
positive is that it light and very easy to load and transport so I have to always keep that in mind...ha ha
Tight lines to you
ps....I agree with you that pedal kayaks are ridiculous on how much they cost and the price goes up every year.
inthedeep2
Angler

Post by inthedeep2 »

Yes, it is expensive. Just remember there are used ones that you can haggle. My buddy got a 2019 PA 14 for $1700 with everything only 2 light scratches we found. People impulse buy and find out its not for them, and fire sale things off. Just have to be ready.
ricker619
Angler

Post by ricker619 »

I have a PA 12. wide, stable, and easy to get moving on the water. It's a mother getting it to and from the water though....lol. I only bring the basics with me as to keep the weight down. Boat ramps are slippery, sand is too soft and steep, I'm old......but once I'm on the water.....all is gooood.
Joshmo62
Angler

Post by Joshmo62 »

I have a Hobie Lynx which works great for my local lake and bay fly fishing… it’s 45 lbs so I can put it in the roof of the car super easy and not break my back! It’s good for the fisherman that isn’t bringing tons of tackle and works well for fly fishing too. I have a h-bar with a stripping basket attached to it so I can cast and stand with good fly line management. Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_2311.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Joshmo62 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:19 pm I have a Hobie Lynx which works great for my local lake and bay fly fishing… it’s 45 lbs so I can put it in the roof of the car super easy and not break my back! It’s good for the fisherman that isn’t bringing tons of tackle and works well for fly fishing too. I have a h-bar with a stripping basket attached to it so I can cast and stand with good fly line management. Cheers!
Those Lynx's are really nice and I like the weight. I just kept thinking of storage issues and things sliding off the deck. My PA 12 is perfect for storage of rods and tackle, but heavy when it come to loading it on and off my truck. I bought the Pelican Catch 100 because it is light, but I had been leaning toward the Lynx....but just have not made that move.
If the cost of the Lynx was about $1,000 to $1,500, it would already be in my garage...ha ha.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Careful, those PA rod holders can cut your line or nic it. Mine did any way. No way of getting to the rough spots without completely destroying the tubing.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:43 pm Careful, those PA rod holders can cut your line or nic it. Mine did any way. No way of getting to the rough spots without completely destroying the tubing.
I have found that if I try to slip rods in too fast, an eyelet can be bent of some rods, while other rods have no problem. I will check my
line more often when I start using my PA again. Thanks for the heads up.
acd320
Angler

Post by acd320 »

Hobie Adventure Island sailing kayak