Hunting Season is upon us

To many outdoorsman, fishing and hunting go hand-in-hand. Talk about local hunting and guns.
William Ritchie
Angler

Hunting Season is upon us

Post by William Ritchie »

Spent several hours at the loading bench this weekend . 5 Boxes steel 12 ga dove loads , 8 boxes 3 inch duck loads . Can't wait to get out there . May do a bit of Cottontail hunting the next couple of mornings . Stay safe in the heat . WR
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Hunting Season is upon us

Post by camobass »

Nice
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Surferjohn
Angler

Post by Surferjohn »

Its crazy how much steel shot is right now!
William Ritchie
Angler

Surferjohn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:42 am Its crazy how much steel shot is right now!
Even loading components , when you can find them , are up in price and availability is tough as well . Those that procrastinated on buying ammo before season may be out of luck . Shoot straight , stay safe . WR
William Ritchie
Angler

Leaving at 02:45 for Brawley . If you go , have a safe trip . Thunder storms possible in the afternoon . Stay safe , Shoot Straight . WR
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

William Ritchie wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:04 pm Leaving at 02:45 for Brawley . If you go , have a safe trip . Thunder storms possible in the afternoon . Stay safe , Shoot Straight . WR

A buddy and I opted for a gentleman's start and hunted the afternoon. We got caught in those thunder storms and they were nothing nice! We found a nice spot to setup with our spread out and before you know it we had to pull the plug because it started to come down hot-n-heavy and that farm mud ain't nothin to mess with. Did manage to shoot our fair share of birds before mother nature called our hand. Kinda run-n-gunned the last bit of the day for a handful more before the storm finally chased us out of the valley for good. Hope to get back out soon with some drier conditions this time.
William Ritchie
Angler

We missed the rain , could see it to the east a few miles in the AM , 08:00 ish . You are not lying about the mud ! . We had a good shoot and everyone had their fill or ran out of ammo around 10:00 Between 7 of us there had to be close to 150 or better birds on the ground . For me 1 White wing , 6 Mourning and 25 Eurasian with 68 rounds . The mournings were all this years hatch and pretty small . They sure were suckers for the decoys , Fence , ground set on gravel total of 6 Mojos along a 150 yard stretch did the trick . Thanks for the report . WR Add Bacon wrapped breast over Mesquite Coals YUM !
William Ritchie
Angler

I went to Grizzly Island over the weekend plus a couple of days . Mowing ,Channel grading , repair of a blind that floated out of the ground last season . Opened the 2 foot flood gate to allow about 70 acres to be flooded . Will take 2 weeks to soak in and start to fill the pond . Can't wait for the opener on 21 October . As Elmer Fudd would say , " It's Duck Season " Good luck out there . WR
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

Shoot, I haven't bought my Duck stamp yet. Haha. Better put in for some draws soon too!
William Ritchie
Angler

Rude Baits wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:25 pm Shoot, I haven't bought my Duck stamp yet. Haha. Better put in for some draws soon too!
Going tomorrow , Kern , a buddy of mine drew a handicap blind hope it turns out to be good . Two weeks ago same blind , Cinnamon teal , red heads and a scaup were taken . Supposed to be in the high 20's around sunrise with some wind and possible rain . We shall see . Hope you have had some good draws . WR
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

William Ritchie wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:41 pm
Rude Baits wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:25 pm Shoot, I haven't bought my Duck stamp yet. Haha. Better put in for some draws soon too!
Going tomorrow , Kern , a buddy of mine drew a handicap blind hope it turns out to be good . Two weeks ago same blind , Cinnamon teal , red heads and a scaup were taken . Supposed to be in the high 20's around sunrise with some wind and possible rain . We shall see . Hope you have had some good draws . WR

Hopefully that little bit of weather gets em up and going for you. I've had one good draw at Wister (and a couple I passed on) that produced some Teal, Gadwall, Pintails and I got a Wigeon so that was kinda cool.
William Ritchie
Angler

Well the Kern hunt only produce a few teal . I have never seen so many Coots in one spot in my lifetime . Going Wed the 6th to Wister with a number 16 draw hope it pans out . Cheers ! WR
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

William Ritchie wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:16 pm Well the Kern hunt only produce a few teal . I have never seen so many Coots in one spot in my lifetime . Going Wed the 6th to Wister with a number 16 draw hope it pans out . Cheers ! WR

Bummer Kern wasn't more productive for ya. That 16 on a Wed should easily turn into a top ten pick for ya. Go get em'!
William Ritchie
Angler

Headed out to Wister straight up midnight Tues /Wed for either a # 1 Handicap draw or # 16 regular draw hoping for a T 12 area , Will post if success is evident .
William Ritchie
Angler

From Wister on the 6th Dec 2023 , Slow morning Took 1 Snow goose and 2 green wing Teal . Heard a lot of shooting but have not seen the official tally . Word has it the birds that have been up north are beginning to move South due to frozen water and eating all the feed . Next trip will more than likely be to the private property I hunt on Grizzly Island . Hope you that hunted did better than I . Shoot straight stay safe . WR
William Ritchie
Angler

Band tail Pigeon tomorrow AM . Short season , 2 bird limit . Have to really look for them this far south . Good luck if you go . WR
William Ritchie
Angler

Found them yesterday going again tomorrow . Good Luck !