TILAPIA IN LAKE MIRAMAR?

Fishing reports for the following SoCal counties:
Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.
raindo
Angler

TILAPIA IN LAKE MIRAMAR?

Post by raindo »

I've heard there are tilapias in lake Miramar, is that true? There was a guy from the old sdfish forum posted a video about it just about last year.
kirkboat
Angler

Re: TILAPIA IN LAKE MIRAMAR?

Post by kirkboat »

I think it was Murray.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

I have seen fish that look like tilapia in Murray - emerging from reeds, cruising around, and then tucking themselves back into the reads. Not many. Two to be exact.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

There's tilapia in Hodges, can verify it
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

professionull wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:21 pm There's tilapia in Hodges, can verify it
Yummy. Don't let anyone tell you different.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Gotfish? wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:04 pm
professionull wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:21 pm There's tilapia in Hodges, can verify it
Yummy. Don't let anyone tell you different.
I've only tried that Costco trash can tilapia and it wasn't half bad (anything fried or deep fried would be). Good to know you have had first hand experience with it
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

You can't top that Salton Sea tilapia with all that Mexico waste flowing into it
raindo
Angler

Post by raindo »

Not anymore. I have seen people caught 2-3lber few years ago, but I think now they are long gone.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Salton Sea was awesome for tilapia fishing if the weather was warm to hot. People would show up with big coolers, some earthworms and catch dozens of them in no time at all. The sea is high in selenium which contaminated the fish so it was recommended to not eat more than serving a week. But it has gotten too saline now and the tilapia and other fish are gone.

There are still tilapia in the freshwater irrigation canals in Imperial Valley. They were introduced to eat weeds and algae in the canals but mutated to tolerate saltwater and rapidly spread in the Salton Sea. Tilapia are native to Africa and found in both salt and freshwater there. Never fished for them in the canals, I would think the less swift smaller canals would be better than the fast flowing larger canals.

Some history: https://www.outdoornewsservice.com/sing ... a-dead-sea
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

raindo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:59 pm
Not anymore. I have seen people caught 2-3lber few years ago, but I think now they are long gone.
Spooked a small one in the shallows there 2 weeks ago. Might not be as plentiful as before but there's still some in there.
F1$H
Angler

Post by F1$H »

I heard a story about an arowana in there once. Youd be surprised what finds its way into our local waters
Stress is caused by not enough fishing
KamWalsh
Angler

Post by KamWalsh »

I agree that whole deep-fried wild tilapia are surprisingly good. I used to trash it like everyone else, but the one time I caught some in the Yuma canals and cooked them in a deep fryer they were delicious. I know most things taste good deep fried, but I was really surprised that the tilapia tasted better than the striper we caught the same day. The striper was also good, but less flavorful. I think the farm-raised filets are just pretty suspect, especially since the skin is removed (the deep fried skin added a lot of flavor and texture).
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

doble
Last edited by Everydog on Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

I caught a couple in the IV drains this Saturday...guided by Werrless, of course. The ones I caught were only about 6' Long and chunky, but a search of spots would probably turn up bigger ones.

It's been a fish I like to eat in a local Mexican restaurant on Adam's Avenue for a long time... Mojarra Frita.
https://www.maricruzavalos.com/mojarra-frita/
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

F1$H wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:26 pm I heard a story about an arowana in there once. Youd be surprised what finds its way into our local waters
In terms of aquarium fish showing up in local waters....never surprised. There was a big arowana in Chollas Reservoir many years ago.

Or those goldfish that "all get eaten by bass before they get too big."
190707 BG Bass Goldfish creek x.jpg
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

Post by Ol Dirty Basser »

professionull wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:30 pm Spooked a small one in the shallows there 2 weeks ago. Might not be as plentiful as before but there's still some in there.
That's good to hear. I haven't been out there since I was a kid. Been wanting to make a trip out there, but I heard even the tilapia were possibly gone.

Tilapia are definitely good eating. How they get to our table may be questionable, but I eat them regularly. I usually get them at an Asian market and have them fried onsite.
raindo
Angler

Post by raindo »

Ol Dirty Basser wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:50 pm
professionull wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:30 pm Spooked a small one in the shallows there 2 weeks ago. Might not be as plentiful as before but there's still some in there.
That's good to hear. I haven't been out there since I was a kid. Been wanting to make a trip out there, but I heard even the tilapia were possibly gone.

Tilapia are definitely good eating. How they get to our table may be questionable, but I eat them regularly. I usually get them at an Asian market and have them fried onsite.
I feel you on the part tilapias are good eating bro, I myself do eat them once in a while (deep fried). I recommend you not to have them fried at the Asian markets, because they only change the oil at the end of the day, so if you head to the market after work (5pm-8pm), you are in bad luck my bro . Tell the workers to do/gut/clean the fish for you and just deep fry it at home. The only best time you want your tilapias fried at the Asian markets is in the morning, that's when they have the new oil.