Why do I feel the need to fish a big swimbait?

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
BeatTheSkunk
Angler

Why do I feel the need to fish a big swimbait?

Post by BeatTheSkunk »

Just wanted to take the temperature/get a pulse on this community's take on this.

Why do I feel the need to throw a big swimbait?!

Little background of where my mentality comes from: I come from a (pretty serious) surfing background, but injury has led me to get back into fishing and I am absolutely hooked on it now. But as in all sub-cultures, and just like in surfing, I could pretty accurately spot who was a total "kook" (basically meaning "ignorant, inexperienced rookie").

Now I am a kook again, but in the fishing world.

I've had a blast this year learning new techniques, and catching fish off new lures and presentations in bodies of water that are new to me. I even got a yak to get off the bank.

But as a kook, I know I am susceptible to marketing...I eat up youtube vids from tactical bass and Milliken, podcasts, etc. and find myself "caught" by all the pretty lures. ( I dabbled with bass fishing as a kid in the 90's and early 2000's but Man! these Japanese baits n stuff are just incredible looking now!)

Cue the whole Big Bait/ Swimbait thing. I know a lot of this stuff was born out of SoCal ie: Butch Brown, but the popularity of big swimbaits has grown nation, and worldwide. Now I am soooo drawn to this, but I fear it may be a road not worth going down. After all, I am still a kook, and have yet to master other more "basic" techniques.

Ive also heard the big baits are harder than ever to catch fish with, (in part cuz the fish have now seen so many big baits being thrown, not to mention the everpresent reality of our pressured waters.

How do you guys look at the big swimbait thing for our waters these days? Avoid it? Love it? Also curious and are dying to catch a fish off one?

Thanks Yall!
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Why do I feel the need to fish a big swimbait?

Post by Neuroshima »

To each their own. If you enjoy it, have the bankroll to support it, don't mind the low success rate, then do it. I started down that rabbit hole years ago, but didn't find success early enough and didn't have the disposable income for a proper rig and baits. It is pretty thrilling throwing a monster bait, knowing that IF you do get bit, it will likely be a trophy.
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Post by risentidefishing »

I would focus on mastering the "basic" techniques first. You'll catch a lot more fish and it will make you a better angler when you do decide to start throwing bigger baits. Big Swimbaits Baits are just a tool in your bag. I think a lot of new Bass anglers skip over the basic techniques and go straight to big swimbaits. They can mask their lack of skill by catching an occasional big fish and accepting all their skunks as just part of the "grind". These type of anglers rarely become better fisherman and are just waiting for the latest custom swimbait to drop so they can go catch a 2lb bass on it at their local golf course. I would definitely add a few to your arsenal, especially for the winter months. 8" Hudd being at the top of the list. But don't let it take away from learning other techniques that will make you a more well rounded angler
Oh Da Shiz
Pro Angler

Post by Oh Da Shiz »

Welcome to the new addiction, haha.

Big bait fishing is a definitely a love-hate relationship. You'll put in a lot of hours on the water with the probability of low returns if you solely dedicate to this style of fishing. There is a learning curve for sure, just like in surfing, however once you get it, it's the best feeling when you do finally hook into the trophy fish.

Like it's been mentioned, you could invest a lot of money into your set-ups and baits. I'd have to say if you want to dip your toes in this, just buy a few Huddleston baits ~ 8" ROF 12, 68 ROF 5 and a weedless shad. These baits would put you back about $85 and allow you to cover a broad range of fishing from slow-rolling to finesse all year around.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or want to check out some gear. I don't fish as much as I'd like to nowadays but if you're around the Poway area HMU
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

1. It helps you justify buying a ginormous Lexa and corresponding rod.

Been there, but sold the reel a year later because I wasn't using it much....got too many other rabbit holes to run down.

(Typing on my phone, sitting on the porch, waiting for delivery of a microscopic Salamandura reel that's only sold in Asia to arrive but AliExpress tracking says it's still in the sorting center at some place called Fenggang in China, practicing the new Shaw Grigsby knot I had to learn because I bought another reel that came pre-spooled with braid)
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

As is always the case, this board (and .com before it) offer so much good advice. We actually mirror each other in many ways, the surfing/fishing. My best mentors have always stressed to learn the basics and catch more to keep the stoke going. But the potential thrill of catching big bass on swimbaits is contagious. Go slow on tackling up, it’s expensive. Buy that top choice Hud mentioned above, string up on likely your heaviest bass or inshore rig, then have a go at it. Being very ADHD and older, chucking those heavy lures for half an hour might make you think twice about how far down that rabbit hole you go.
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Tons of fun...Good luck. ;/)

PS This was just brought up over one the Texas Fishing Forum that I'm a member of.

i-dont-throw-big-swim-baits-should-i-be

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ub ... st14924809
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

One note about fishing the big swimbaits...when the big baits came out, there was a much larger supply of big bass in our local lakes. The number of 6lb-12lb bass in our lakes now is definitely down from the 70s-90s, which will make your odds of getting a big fish lower than in the past! You can still run into a big fish now and then, but it's gotten tougher. Something to think about before you spend the time and big bucks! Funny, but my biggest fish were caught on my smallest baits!
Pipster
Angler

Post by Pipster »

I'd say it is the same reason I only use topwater. You get the biggest rush out of what your hoping will happen. I'd also point out your really a musky fisherman trapped on California's lakes. 10,000 casts 1 fish... yup that's the ticket!!!