Tilapia at murray??

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Post Reply
Jnguyen
Angler
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Tilapia at murray??

Post by Jnguyen »

Caught a larger tilapia earlier this year and didnt think much of it. Fished the ither day and found a school of what I thought were "bluegill" in the reeds but boy was I wrong.
Attachments
20230717_123620.jpg
Screenshot_20231111_103828_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231111_104221_Gallery.jpg
Mcfish
Extreme Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:08 pm
Has thanked: 928 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by Mcfish »

There's all sorts of crazy things in Murray! I've seen Pacus, Piranhna, Oscars, Tinfoil barbs, and almost every aquarium fish you could imagine! At least you can eat the tilapia! Hodges has a bunch!
User avatar
La Mesan
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:26 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by La Mesan »

Piranhnas at Murray?? I haven't heard that one since the 90's lol
User avatar
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 14, 2023 4:40 pm
Location: Anaheim
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Great Bass Chow!
strato
Angler
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:29 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by strato »

Will they take over the lake?
User avatar
DarkShadow
Pro Angler
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by DarkShadow »

Mcfish wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:25 pm... Piranhna
I remember the locals swearing that my local pond growing up had piranhas. Ended up being some pretty cool looking pacus. And since the pacus had somewhat gnarly looking 'teeth,' they still continued the rumor that it had piranhas. The best bycatch from that place was a huge Arowana that fought like a freshwater tarpon.

The absolute best had to be the 'gator in the pond,' rumor that turned out to be true:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2 ... -alligator
raindo
Angler
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:04 am
Location: Orange County
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by raindo »

Jnguyen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:42 am Caught a larger tilapia earlier this year and didnt think much of it. Fished the ither day and found a school of what I thought were "bluegill" in the reeds but boy was I wrong.
May I ask what part of lake Murray did you catch these tilapias? TIA.
Jnguyen
Angler
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by Jnguyen »

raindo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:04 am
Jnguyen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:42 am Caught a larger tilapia earlier this year and didnt think much of it. Fished the ither day and found a school of what I thought were "bluegill" in the reeds but boy was I wrong.
May I ask what part of lake Murray did you catch these tilapias? TIA.
That point right off baltimore dr!
raindo
Angler
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:04 am
Location: Orange County
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by raindo »

Jnguyen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:54 pm
raindo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:04 am
Jnguyen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:42 am Caught a larger tilapia earlier this year and didnt think much of it. Fished the ither day and found a school of what I thought were "bluegill" in the reeds but boy was I wrong.
May I ask what part of lake Murray did you catch these tilapias? TIA.
That point right off baltimore dr!
I just want to confirm if I get the spot right or not. Right here?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12.26.41 AM.png
sawheeler52
Angler
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:47 am
Location: Escondido
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by sawheeler52 »

Raindo,
I'm sure Jnguyen will respond; but just my 2-cents re: your drawing.
The circle you added is a cove; not a "point."
If that's the correct parking area, my guess would be it's the point near the "Lake Murray" text.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:53 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by Moose »

Might be time to break the tilapia painted crankbaits that I did several years ago for the Lower Colorado River
Attachments
IMG_1114.jpeg
Mcfish
Extreme Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:08 pm
Has thanked: 928 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by Mcfish »

raindo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:04 am
Jnguyen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:42 am Caught a larger tilapia earlier this year and didnt think much of it. Fished the ither day and found a school of what I thought were "bluegill" in the reeds but boy was I wrong.
May I ask what part of lake Murray did you catch these tilapias? TIA.
In search of fish tacos???
Mcfish
Extreme Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:08 pm
Has thanked: 928 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by Mcfish »

DarkShadow wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:21 am
Mcfish wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:25 pm... Piranhna
I remember the locals swearing that my local pond growing up had piranhas. Ended up being some pretty cool looking pacus. And since the pacus had somewhat gnarly looking 'teeth,' they still continued the rumor that it had piranhas. The best bycatch from that place was a huge Arowana that fought like a freshwater tarpon.

The absolute best had to be the 'gator in the pond,' rumor that turned out to be true:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2 ... -alligator
I saw a photo of the Murray Piranha..definitely nastier looking than a Pacu! Probably part of the illegal tropical fish trade.
Jnguyen
Angler
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Tilapia at murray??

Post by Jnguyen »

raindo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:31 am
Jnguyen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:54 pm
raindo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:04 am
Jnguyen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:42 am Caught a larger tilapia earlier this year and didnt think much of it. Fished the ither day and found a school of what I thought were "bluegill" in the reeds but boy was I wrong.
May I ask what part of lake Murray did you catch these tilapias? TIA.
That point right off baltimore dr!
I just want to confirm if I get the spot right or not. Right here?
Yep that's the spot! I didn't see them last week when I went fishing, maybe they went to deeper waters
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests