New Outcast Super Fat Cat with Blue Robotics Thrusters

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

New Outcast Super Fat Cat with Blue Robotics Thrusters

Post by Pourboy »

Good morning all!
I have been wanting to do this video for a long time and have had lots of people ask me to do it. Last week I finally purchased my first new float tube in over 19 years. I had (and still have 2) Outcast Super Fat Cat tubes that I absolutely love, but time, sun and salt have done their work and it was time for an upgrade. Since I love the brand and the product and I have already created a thruster system for the tube I contacted Outcast and purchased a new one. I let them know what I was doing and they were excited to see the thruster system. I have looked into patenting the system but that is not feasible for a variety of reasons. I know I have run into many of you on the water and figured I would just put it out there if anyone wants to try and build something similar.

Building this has been a game changer for me and I don't ever want to go back. After getting stuck in the back of Barrett a few years ago it took me several hours to kick back in 100+ degree heat and 20+mph winds. While struggling back I brainstormed on how to create something that could be powerful, modular and somewhat reasonably affordable. I started thinking of the small thrusters in my aquariums that create current and wondered what was out there. When I finally got back to the car 4 or 5 leg cramps later and then making it home I went online to see what was out there.

I found a company called Blue Robotics that makes equipment for underwater robotics. I teach martial arts and contacted some of my students who were on a robotics team and at the end of a Zoom Class (June 2020) I let them know what I was thinking about and asked if they could help. (Some of you already know this) I drew a picture on the Zoom Whiteboard and the project began.
robotube whiteboard.png
After much trial and error, and more errors and more trials and 3+ years later I am finally where I want to be. Pretty much (The biggest room in the world is the "ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT"). I originally went with the Blue Robotics T200 Thrusters, but when they came out with the bigger more efficient T500 and a much larger 22V lithium ion battery I finally got what I wanted.

Anyway please check out the video about the new tube and the thruster system. If you have any questions or suggestions I am totally willing to listen. Thanks and see you on the water!
Cheers!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: New Outcast Super Fat Cat with Blue Robotics Thrusters

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Pourboy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:25 am
Good morning all!
I have been wanting to do this video for a long time and have had lots of people ask me to do it. Last week I finally purchased my first new float tube in over 19 years. I had (and still have 2) Outcast Super Fat Cat tubes that I absolutely love, but time, sun and salt have done their work and it was time for an upgrade. Since I love the brand and the product and I have already created a thruster system for the tube I contacted Outcast and purchased a new one. I let them know what I was doing and they were excited to see the thruster system. I have looked into patenting the system but that is not feasible for a variety of reasons. I know I have run into many of you on the water and figured I would just put it out there if anyone wants to try and build something similar.

Building this has been a game changer for me and I don't ever want to go back. After getting stuck in the back of Barrett a few years ago it took me several hours to kick back in 100+ degree heat and 20+mph winds. While struggling back I brainstormed on how to create something that could be powerful, modular and somewhat reasonably affordable. I started thinking of the small thrusters in my aquariums that create current and wondered what was out there. When I finally got back to the car 4 or 5 leg cramps later and then making it home I went online to see what was out there.

I found a company called Blue Robotics that makes equipment for underwater robotics. I teach martial arts and contacted some of my students who were on a robotics team and at the end of a Zoom Class (June 2020) I let them know what I was thinking about and asked if they could help. (Some of you already know this) I drew a picture on the Zoom Whiteboard and the project began.

robotube whiteboard.png

After much trial and error, and more errors and more trials and 3+ years later I am finally where I want to be. Pretty much (The biggest room in the world is the "ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT"). I originally went with the Blue Robotics T200 Thrusters, but when they came out with the bigger more efficient T500 and a much larger 22V lithium ion battery I finally got what I wanted.

Anyway please check out the video about the new tube and the thruster system. If you have any questions or suggestions I am totally willing to listen. Thanks and see you on the water!
Cheers!
Will check this out the minute I get home! I have an Outcast Prowler coming and have been meaning to DM you to ask about your thruster system. Seems like a better/more convenient option than using a drill paddle with better battery life I’d imagine.
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Happy to help! I can't use the drill rig. It kills my wrists. Plus you can use this like a trolling motor and go forward.
1Fishdude
Angler

Post by 1Fishdude »

I believe I have watched this particular video 20+ times and must say that its mind boggling every time I view it. I've never seen the new one but have met you and seen the old one numerous times at Hodges and El cap. I have a question that has always been on my mind. When you started your project with the students did you have a budget that you gave as a parameter for the kids to work with? And from that budget to the new boat how much did that budget change .? I know from talking to you that you didnt want to spend a fortune but it wasnt cheap to build. What was your final materials cost versus the original boats material costs. Did it go up dramatically or were you surprised that it didnt.. By the way I love all your videos so keep up the good work. I for one really appreciate watching them.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Man, that went from a float tube to the international space station. I’m going to have to stick to my hammy cramps so I can kick into the tules to hide when needed.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

camobass wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:04 pm Man, that went from a float tube to the international space station. I’m going to have to stick to my hammy cramps so I can kick into the tules to hide when needed.
Hey thanks for watching! It's now like an Float Tube RV. But super super fun to fish on. Cheers!