Morro Bay - Cayucos

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
awalvatne62
Angler

Morro Bay - Cayucos

Post by awalvatne62 »

Hello,
Curious if anybody had fished in the Morro bay to cayucos area from shore and had any luck. Will be working there 2 times a year and wanted to get some fishing in. No specific target species just looking for some fun. Thanks
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Morro Bay - Cayucos

Post by foulhook »

My son goes to college at San Luis Obispo, so we have fished that area a lot while visiting. Pismo Beach has really good barred surf perch fishing. In Morro Bay we like to fish South T Pier, caught perch, jack smelt, calico bass and rockfish. Off the jetty has good lingcod fishing if the waves aren't too bad. Cayucos Pier I caught lots of calico perch. My son caught a huge flounder off the San Simeon Pier. There are lots of place to hike down to the water and fish for rockfish all over the Cayucos area.
awalvatne62
Angler

Post by awalvatne62 »

foulhook wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:39 am My son goes to college at San Luis Obispo, so we have fished that area a lot while visiting. Pismo Beach has really good barred surf perch fishing. In Morro Bay we like to fish South T Pier, caught perch, jack smelt, calico bass and rockfish. Off the jetty has good lingcod fishing if the waves aren't too bad. Cayucos Pier I caught lots of calico perch. My son caught a huge flounder off the San Simeon Pier. There are lots of place to hike down to the water and fish for rockfish all over the Cayucos area.
Thanks for the response! You guys using mostly just bait or using lures or a mixture of both?
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

Mainly shrimp, squid, and lugeworms, and sometimes sabiki rigs of the piers
awalvatne62
Angler

Post by awalvatne62 »

foulhook wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:55 am Mainly shrimp, squid, and lugeworms, and sometimes sabiki rigs of the piers
Thanks for the help
Right now I mostly fish in the bays down here for spotties and last time I went up found they don't have spotties up there so I just skipped on it all together. I'll definitely bring my stuff this next time I'm heading up
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I fish in the area when visiting family. I haven’t fished Morro but fish pismo a bunch. Tons of perch. There’s a guy on YouTube that fishes halibut from the surf and does well. No one really does it up there. The guy fishes shell and avala beach. Just south of morro. This guy fishes the areas you are going to
https://youtube.com/@Hook2Cook?si=7gmJdo6V0fMOAViR
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

They get stripers up there good too. Just north of morro. And pismo area. That guy has been posting some recent striper vids.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
awalvatne62
Angler

Post by awalvatne62 »

camobass wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:09 pm I fish in the area when visiting family. I haven’t fished Morro but fish pismo a bunch. Tons of perch. There’s a guy on YouTube that fishes halibut from the surf and does well. No one really does it up there. The guy fishes shell and avala beach. Just south of morro. This guy fishes the areas you are going to
https://youtube.com/@Hook2Cook?si=7gmJdo6V0fMOAViR
Thanks for the info. I'll look into fishing the surf when I'm up there again appreciate it and happy turkey day