Best and worst candy

Discussions not related to fishing.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Best and worst candy

Post by Gotfish? »

Now that it is Halloween, the important question.

Worst: has to be black licorice, whether jelly beans or vines. Not a fan of candy corn either.

Best: Reese's peanut butter cups. Almond Joy pretty good too.

Most unpopular Halloween treats: pennies. An old lady in the neighborhood used to hand those out, the kids thought that was not worthy of being called a treat.

Other opinions?
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Re: Best and worst candy

Post by Tailingloop »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:51 pm Now that it is Halloween, the important question.

Worst: has to be black licorice, whether jelly beans or vines. Not a fan of candy corn either.

Best: Reese's peanut butter cups. Almond Joy pretty good too.

Most unpopular Halloween treats: pennies. An old lady in the neighborhood used to hand those out, the kids thought that was not worthy of being called a treat.

Other opinions?
York Peppermint Patties and Almond Joy have been favorites since is far back as I can remember (1960's)

Reese's peanut butter cups used to be another favorite but seem too sweet to me and not as flavorful now as I recall when I was younger. I don't know if the candy changed or I do. These days I prefer to just get a very good quality milk or dark chocolate bar and dip into a creamy peanut butter.

Clark bars were another as were Snickers and Payday.

There were so many other various of chocolate and peanuts that I liked but I can't recall most of them (I see the Reggie bar came back this year).

I always found candy corn sort of distasteful and not a fan of red or black licorice but I used to like Good and Plenty candies.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Anyone remember candy cigarettes? Almost pure sugar. The kids who couldn't wait to grow up so they could smoke like adults coveted those things; always good for trading. Politically incorrect these days (good!).

And some people would dress up for Halloween as a pack of cigarettes or a cigarette. I have always hated the smell of tobacco. Dressing up like a cigarette is like dressing up as a cyanide pill.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:16 pm Anyone remember candy cigarettes? Almost pure sugar. The kids who couldn't wait to grow up so they could smoke like adults coveted those things; always good for trading. Politically incorrect these days (good!).

And some people would dress up for Halloween as a pack of cigarettes or a cigarette. I have always hated the smell of tobacco. Dressing up like a cigarette is like dressing up as a cyanide pill.
I loved those sugar cigarettes!!!
I would walk around with them trying to look cool...before chewing them up...ha ha
We gave away Twix and Reeses Peanut butter cups(bought them because we did not have that many kids last year) and they
would be great leftovers. Not too many kids at all this year so I hope all this extra sugar does not have me reeling in a plastic
worm faster than a spinnerbait...ha ha
72049664620__741903FD-4745-4D1F-BE4F-3384A0C80755.jpg
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

Candy cigarettes were great, but a gamble sometimes you would get 12 or a lousy pack just 5. I loved getting rocky road and fun dips. And the all time best candy bar the Reggie Jackson!!
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Guess I'm weird... My wife always puts the candy corn out around Halloween, and every time I go by, I pop a few in my mouth... I get addicted to them.... No one else in the family likes them, not even my wife (Who buys and puts them out)... She needs to stop buying them. :roll:
Butch
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

We always called candy corn by the old school name Chicken Feed
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Best? Heath Bar. Mounds. Swedish Fish. And for some odd reason....not candy corn, but the "Autumn Mix" that has candy corn, the chocolate-tipped candy corn, and the pumpkins. Yes, it's like eating a vanilla-scented candle between slugs of Karo syrup. I buy a small bag every year, and that's enough.

Worst?
"Australian Style" licorice that turns out to be nothing like the genuine Aussie-made stuff.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Carpkiller wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:03 pm but the "Autumn Mix" that has candy corn, the chocolate-tipped candy corn, and the pumpkins. Yes, it's like eating a vanilla-scented candle between slugs of Karo syrup. I buy a small bag every year, and that's enough.
That's the stuff my wife buys... I think I'll walk into the other room and snag a few pieces. :roll: ...
Butch